Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Aug 2019, 20:21 (Ref:3921383)   #1
markymar93
Rookie

markymar93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
volvo amazon to Appendix K

hi. i am building a 1965 volvo amazon for track racing. is it possible to upgrade the bushes and lower the suspension and still comply with part k?
also what limits are allowed on lightening the car? it is a bit of a heavy beast.
thanks mark
Old 5 Aug 2019, 16:35 (Ref:3921544)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymar93 View Post
hi. i am building a 1965 volvo amazon for track racing. is it possible to upgrade the bushes and lower the suspension and still comply with part k?
also what limits are allowed on lightening the car? it is a bit of a heavy beast.
thanks mark
Quick answers- the material of the suspension bushes is not an issue but you cannot fit rose joints instead of rubber / metalastik or whatever. Poly bushes OK if anyone makes them for the car. Lowering suspension OK but there are ground clearance regs.

The original homologation papers for the model will show the minimum weight. This is what you have to adhere to.

Appendix K is accessible via the thread on this forum titled FIA Appendix K regulations, if you haven’t already read it.

There are or have been Volvos racing in series like HRDC, so not a bad idea to seek them out and talk to owners.
Old 5 Aug 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3921545)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
thanks mark
Well admiration for you Mark . Keep us posted on the build . I have had. Full race camshaft in my tool box for B20 engine . I had better dig it out .👍
Old 5 Aug 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3921551)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
They're good solid cars, if a little 'big boned' Amazon is a B18 engine, simple and robust and can make good torque, which you need with a bit of weight to move about. They're very similar to Ford Precrossflows just bigger and meatier. They respond well to the usual tuning, I've done a few. The transmission is up to the job as well which is a bonus.

I'm sure poly bushes etc are available, if not black nylon is an option in places, and easy to machine.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3921800)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Bit of motivation for you- Spotted at the Nürburgring today by our globetrotting tenther.....
Attached Thumbnails
E1415818-2738-4FE2-BD28-758A08E63678.jpeg  
Old 7 Aug 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3921824)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Mark . Do you want me to take some more photos . Will try if I have time
Old 8 Aug 2019, 06:42 (Ref:3921900)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I thought I’d do a quick forum search for any info on Amazons, and found that you were asking questions about them back in March 2016, Mark? Sounds like your projects proceed about the same pace as mine!

Edit- it may be worth talking to these people about competition parts for Volvos....

https://www.amazoncars.co.uk/

Last edited by Mike Bell; 8 Aug 2019 at 07:12.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 05:49 (Ref:3922640)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same engine as a certain very quick Marcos. Very tuneable within FIA regs. 😉😉
Old 14 Aug 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3922778)   #9
markymar93
Rookie

thanks to all the help so far. the build started a while ago but sadly the restorer i originally used charged me alot of money but did nothing. i have now sent it down to someone i trust, however, he is learning about fia like me. At the moment we are still in the early stages with welding the underside. i have a fia roll cage to fit. i have a couple of engines but both are tuned b20s, one of which is a ruddspeed. i was hoping to use this, however, i think i am stuck with getting a b18. i think i may fit a b20 to start with.
happy to post pics as we get on if anyone is interested?
Old 15 Aug 2019, 05:23 (Ref:3922803)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Pics always of interest and can lead to further input from other posters, so feel free........
Old 15 Aug 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3922834)   #11
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i have a couple of engines but both are tuned b20s, one of which is a ruddspeed. i was hoping to use this, however, i think i am stuck with getting a b18. i think i may fit a b20 to start with.
happy to post pics as we get on if anyone is interested?

If you intend anything Pre-1966 Appendix K you will be stuck with the B18 (1800cc) engine as the 2 litre B20 wasn't available in this model until 1968/69.
You could run in HRSR/HSCC Historic Touring Cars in class B with a 2 litre engine.
Old 17 Aug 2019, 20:59 (Ref:3923136)   #12
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thomas Ardelt runs an Amazon in NKHTGT so may have been at the OGP. John Pearson is also building one to run in Equipe GTS
Old 18 Aug 2019, 05:07 (Ref:3923154)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There also a Brit Amazon entered for the Spa 6hrs next month!
Old 20 Aug 2019, 21:40 (Ref:3923557)   #14
markymar93
Rookie

spa is one of my bucket list things to do. i know the amazon is perhaps not as quick as some other cars out there but it is a good reliable car. i will get some photos up soon and thank you to all providing advice. thanks mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
There also a Brit Amazon entered for the Spa 6hrs next month!
Old 22 Aug 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3923737)   #15
davidhjones
Rookie

United Kingdom
Aldington, Kent
davidhjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just put my Amazon through its FIA App K inspection - a few things picked up but all looking good thus far - happy to talk and swap war stories? I have been running it in the HRDC Touring Greats the last couple of years and found the car to be a hoot to drive, very reliable apart from some gearbox issues, that hopefully are now sorted and running costs have been "bearable". It gets quite a lot of paddock attention and encouraging comments.....any idea who has entered Spa, can't locate the entry list? I am planning on doing the Masters TC support race but in my Mini.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3923756)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Spa- Car #39 Chris Ryan and John Yea.

The entry list is on the Spa 6hrs thread, a page back.
Old 22 Aug 2019, 14:44 (Ref:3923760)   #17
davidhjones
Rookie

United Kingdom
Aldington, Kent
davidhjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got it thanks - yes I've seen John's Amazon he had it at one of the HRDC Goodwood test days but I haven't seen it out in action since
Old 24 Aug 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3924004)   #18
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Spa- Car #39 Chris Ryan and John Yea.

The entry list is on the Spa 6hrs thread, a page back.
That’s Barry SS’s co driver using Barry’s old no, who has been known to nick my driver’s packs given half the chance
Old 29 Aug 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3924605)   #19
markymar93
Rookie

couple of quick questions. i assume anywhere on underside of car should be seam welded? also i have a race fuel tank to fit. removed the original tank and i assume i can weld in a flat section of metal for the tank to be fitted to?
thanks mark
Old 29 Aug 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3924610)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Seam welding OK, unless someone’s changed the rules recently!

Yes, you can fill in hole in the boot floor, if that’s what you’re suggesting? Why not use riveted alloy sheet and strengthening / support ribs if needed for the tank?
Old 29 Aug 2019, 17:14 (Ref:3924698)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
unless someone’s changed the rules recently!
Same who changed the title and may be his avatar… Markymar may be you've better load and read appendix K, its for free and its the basis. If any doubt, you can ask here and to an official scrutineer belonging to what was your MSA. Is it Motuk, Mike?
Old 29 Aug 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3924701)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
MSUK Gerard (Motor Sport U K)..... And I didn’t edit the thread title, although could have. Obviously one of ‘them others’ did it....
Old 11 Sep 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3927369)   #23
markymar93
Rookie

Hi All. We are slowly getting there with getting the bodywork back into some form that actually looks like a car lol. I am going through the regs and i do apologise if some of the questions sound stupid, however, this is all very new lol. I just appreciate the help.

thanks Mark
Old 11 Sep 2019, 13:47 (Ref:3927391)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I edited the title.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 16:05 (Ref:3927421)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I am going through the regs and i do apologise if some of the questions sound stupid, however, this is all very new lol.
If you feel some of your questions sound stupid, what about some others, mine for instance ! Dont worry go on like that.