Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Aug 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3293893)   #376
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Mexico is apparently on the provisonal 2014 calender according to Autosport with a race in Mexico city after Austin.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109493

That was a bit of a surprise as I have not heard it mentioned for some time.
I think Bernie's just happy that he can turn it back into a nice calendar of exactly 20 GPs again.

I've always liked Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez. Everyone always loves to talk about how dangerous Mexico is but really Interlagos is no safer. I'm glad to see Bernie thinking outside the Tilke these last few months... adding Austria and now this.

I'm going to take a crack at what the schedule may look like next year, given the tidbits of information we've collected over the silly season:

1. Melbourne
2. Sepang
3. Shanghai
4. Bahrain
5. Valencia
6. Monaco
7. Montreal
8. Silverstone
9. Red Bull Ring
10. Hockenheim
11. Hungary
12. Spa
13. Monza
14. Sochi
15. Singapore
16. Suzuka
17. Yas Marina
18. COTA
19. Mexico City
20. Interlagos

That sounds like a fantastic year. Notice I left out Yeongam, Buddh, and New Jersey.

Last edited by Beetle; 25 Aug 2013 at 22:36.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 22:34 (Ref:3293897)   #377
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I think Bernie's just happy that he can turn it back into a nice calendar of exactly 20 GPs again.

I've always liked Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez. Everyone always loves to talk about how dangerous Mexico is but really Interlagos is no safer. I'm glad to see Bernie thinking outside the Tilke these last few months... adding Austria and now this.

I'm going to take a crack at what the schedule may look like next year, given the tidbits of information we've collected over the silly season:

1. Melbourne
2. Sepang
3. Shanghai
4. Bahrain
5. Valencia
6. Monaco
7. Montreal
8. Silverstone
9. Hockenheim
10. Red Bull Ring
11. Hungary
12. Spa
13. Monza
14. Sochi
15. Singapore
16. Suzuka
17. Yas Marina
18. COTA
19. Mexico City
20. Interlagos

That sounds like a fantastic year. Notice I left out Yeongam, Buddh, and New Jersey.
Looks like a good guess but I would suspect Germany after Austria given that Austria has an early July date.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 22:36 (Ref:3293899)   #378
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Looks like a good guess but I would suspect Germany after Austria given that Austria has an early July date.
Oh, I forgot.

Edited.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 22:40 (Ref:3293900)   #379
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking at that list 4 of the last five circuits (Suzuka, COTA, Mexico & Interlagos) are pretty good ones as well so it has potential for good finish to the year.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 22:50 (Ref:3293903)   #380
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

1. Melbourne
2. Sepang
3. Shanghai
4. Bahrain
5. Valencia
6. Monaco
7. Montreal
8. Silverstone
9. Red Bull Ring
10. Hockenheim
11. Hungary
12. Spa
13. Monza
14. Sochi
15. Singapore
16. Suzuka
17. Yas Marina
18. COTA
19. Mexico City
20. Interlagos

Buddh isn't on next year's calendar but back in 2015 and New Jersey is not happening at all, according to Bernie.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 23:26 (Ref:3293923)   #381
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Buddh isn't on next year's calendar but back in 2015 and New Jersey is not happening at all, according to Bernie.
That's why I left those two out.
Old 25 Aug 2013, 23:31 (Ref:3293927)   #382
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That's why I left those two out.
Duh, I obviously can't read.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 09:54 (Ref:3294106)   #383
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Spanish Grand Prix will be at Barcelona, not Valencia-

Had we ever so much changes from one year to the next as it is expect for 2014?
Old 26 Aug 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3294123)   #384
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is pleasing that we're getting two historic race tracks back for next year. I only wish Bernie cared about that rather than the money he's getting from them both.

I think we're correctly assuming New Jersey won't happen and that Korea and India will be dropped for next year, but what happens when India supposedly comes back in 2015? We'll have 21 races then. I don't really see that there are any other races that are on seriously shaky ground in the next few years.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3294169)   #385
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So Mexico is confirmed ?!?
Old 26 Aug 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3294461)   #386
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
The Spanish Grand Prix will be at Barcelona, not Valencia-

Had we ever so much changes from one year to the next as it is expect for 2014?
No, no... they are now officially alternating. It's an old article, I know, but it's still in place as far as I know: 2013 Barcelona, 2014 Valencia, 2015 Barcelona, 2016 Valencia, etc...

And there are lots of changes going on, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
It is pleasing that we're getting two historic race tracks back for next year. I only wish Bernie cared about that rather than the money he's getting from them both.

I think we're correctly assuming New Jersey won't happen and that Korea and India will be dropped for next year, but what happens when India supposedly comes back in 2015? We'll have 21 races then. I don't really see that there are any other races that are on seriously shaky ground in the next few years.
Add Yeongam back, finally get NJ on the calendar, attempt the Bangkok Street Circuit, and go for a French GP at Paul Ricard. Again, it's all about being a multiple of 2 or 5... 19 or 21 won't sit well with the Bernie.

In all seriousness, I think it'll probably be 22... the French GP seems to be the next "classic" in line for a makeover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
So Mexico is confirmed ?!?
Not 100%... this was an excerpt from the article in Autoweek.

Quote:
Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that a decision is due “within a couple of weeks” about whether the Mexican Grand Prix will take place next year.
But we can assume that it'll be part of the 2014 calendar. Bernie wants it, Mexico seems to want it, there are now two Mexican drivers in F1, and it's a nice bridge between COTA and Sao Paulo - Bernie's a big fan of spreading out geographically.
Old 4 Dec 2013, 17:08 (Ref:3340185)   #387
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Bernie says the NJ GP will go ahead, in 2015. I'm taking that with a big pinch of salt.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111727
Old 4 Dec 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3340186)   #388
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
This is an interesting article about the NJ GP.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111731
Old 4 Dec 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3340197)   #389
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
This is an interesting article about the NJ GP.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111731
I suspect Leo Hindrey has to find about $20 million a year to satisfy Bernie and CVC.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 01:07 (Ref:3340300)   #390
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Shame about New Jersey. I was looking forward to that.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 01:55 (Ref:3373835)   #391
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Long Beach may be back in play. Robin Miller writing for Racer has an article out on “Long Beach City Council ponders bid for F1 return.” The key quote:

Quote:
"What will transpire Tuesday night is that the city council will vote on whether they wish to issue an RFP (Request For Proposal) to determine whether Long Beach will continue with the IndyCar weekend and the Grand Prix Association of Long Beach or consider another party that wants to conduct a Formula 1 race," said Jim Michaelian, the GPALB president and CEO who is currently preparing for the 40th annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach on April 11-13. "Our contract runs through 2015 and we are asking the city to extend this very productive relationship for another five years if the RFP is denied."
Old 2 Mar 2014, 04:52 (Ref:3373878)   #392
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Long Beach may be back in play. Robin Miller writing for Racer has an article out on “Long Beach City Council ponders bid for F1 return.” The key quote:
That track will need some serious renovation + expansion if they even have a chance of hosting an F1 race. Plus, that part of L.A. isn't very aesthetically-pleasing...

Old 2 Mar 2014, 12:21 (Ref:3374004)   #393
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see F1 AND IndyCar on the same weekend in Long Beach.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3374020)   #394
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Me too. It would be the collest thing ever, because it could be an "American Open Wheel Weekend"!
Old 2 Mar 2014, 18:37 (Ref:3374076)   #395
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I don't think it will happen for two reason's; Bernie's exorbitant sanctioning fee and the Long Beach track itself.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3374090)   #396
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also considering neither indycar or F1 will want to play second fiddle to the other.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the long beach track literally come apart last year during the indycar race? I remember the tarmac filling coming up and causing cars to crash but can't remember which race exactly.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3374103)   #397
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Also considering neither indycar or F1 will want to play second fiddle to the other.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the long beach track literally come apart last year during the indycar race? I remember the tarmac filling coming up and causing cars to crash but can't remember which race exactly.
I think you'll find that was Detroit 2012, where after 38 laps or so the track surface started to disintegrate in various places round the circuit and the race was red flagged, then restarted two hours later, after the damaged sections of track were filled with concrete.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 20:23 (Ref:3374106)   #398
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that's the one! thanks for the clarification, I can only watch indycar on youtube so it's never never in order
Old 2 Mar 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3374116)   #399
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
that's the one! thanks for the clarification, I can only watch indycar on youtube so it's never never in order
If they were to run both series at Long Beach, broadcasting is one thing that will need to be sorted out, particularly for viewers outside the US. NBCSN are one of the IndyCar series broadcasters and they carry Long Beach. As a motorsports broadcaster they leave a lot to be desired, why the IRL entered into this deal with them does beggar belief. Ok, the IRL get a fee from NBCSN but the deal is becoming unsutainable, with viewing figures dwindling and sponsors leaving the series.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 23:53 (Ref:3374181)   #400
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If they were to run both series at Long Beach, broadcasting is one thing that will need to be sorted out, particularly for viewers outside the US. NBCSN are one of the IndyCar series broadcasters and they carry Long Beach. As a motorsports broadcaster they leave a lot to be desired, why the IRL entered into this deal with them does beggar belief. Ok, the IRL get a fee from NBCSN but the deal is becoming unsutainable, with viewing figures dwindling and sponsors leaving the series.
It's never going to happen.

At an F1 event FOM have total control over track coverage and world feed from the first Green Light on a Friday morning of which ever categories first practice through to the end of the interviews after Grand Prix Podium., and also issue the passes to the National broadcasters for their paddock camera crews.

They would never relinquish control to another series, you only have to look at Australia where the V8s didn't get coverage unless the local broadcaster bought it from FOM. Even at that it would be coverage directed by the FOM tv director not regular one from that series.