Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Nov 2020, 23:25 (Ref:4018341)   #1
flatplanecrank
Rookie

flatplanecrank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP vs trackday specials

Hi all: I'm new to the forum, and am hoping you can shed some light on a question that I have been trouble getting answered. I am curious how an actual LMP2/3 car compares to the trackday special LMP type cars (i.e. Radical SR8, Ligier JS53)? I haven't been able to find any laptimes for comparison, but I presume the LMP cars are faster. I'd like to understand generally how much faster they are. If you have track times to share, that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 23 Nov 2020, 18:54 (Ref:4018439)   #2
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There may havre been some club races on the Silverstone GP track which were open to the likes of the Radicals & Ligiers and, if you can find the times on TSL Timing, you could compare them against the WEC & ELMS times for the LMP2 & LMP3 cars.
Old 23 Nov 2020, 19:28 (Ref:4018442)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
tricky, because usually at trackdays you're not allowed to time yourself unless you're at a proper "test" day.

v de v in france had some pretty random stuff turn up:
https://vdev.fr/resultats2018/

here, the only slightly random example i can think of is donington gt cup in 2018, they allowed some non-lmp3 guest entries, albeit iirc on different tyres. probably a bit slower than you were thinking of though.
https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=M.../183651lm3.pdf
Old 29 Nov 2020, 22:49 (Ref:4019567)   #4
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Many of said trackday cars run with SVRA in the US. they have an entire Radical class but this year at Road Atlanta was all somewhat older cars. Their T&S is behind their paywall though. But from trackside it's not even close, but I would guess at least 50% of the difference is driver skill. Few in SVRA running their toys have near the skill and commitment of the pros or new kids in LMPs. Add in top spec tires and it is not even close.
Old 30 Nov 2020, 06:55 (Ref:4019610)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Here’s your answer. Donington 2017

LMP3 1:02
Radical SR8 1:05
GT3 1:07

https://www.tsl-timing.com/event/171652
Old 30 Nov 2020, 12:55 (Ref:4019657)   #6
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its possible to find lap times for Radicals for most major UK circuits as they have a good championship.

In 2017 and 2018 there was the UK LMP3 Cup, a high end club series for these cars, they visited Donington, Brands GP, Snetterton and Silverstone GP. Not well supported and disliked by other racers as they had a lot of track time for 5 cars or fewer running. Generally Ligier or Norma chassis. I think they were running Pirelli tyres for convenience - they attended the same meetings as GT Cup which had Pirelli tyre supplier. If you wanted to make the switch to the higher level, you'd need to switch to Michelins.

Can also compare against the drivers in the WEC and ELMS events.