Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 15 Mar 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2152874)   #176
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's interesting to see the mood of this thread drastically change from page 1 to page 4.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2152913)   #177
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
This isn't looking so bad now. Forsythe will live on in some form, as will HVM, and Walker could be out there. Conquest will be stronger than we thought as well.
Yes Forsythe may well continue to live, one of Forsythe's chief engineers is at Sebring this weekend to examine the possibilty of running in the ALMS and from what he has said he thinks there is a very strong chance that we will see Forsythe in the ALMS, he is just at Sebring this weekend to see what options are available to the team.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 00:07 (Ref:2152999)   #178
JohnnySTR
Rookie

JohnnySTR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the mood has changed, because regardless of what series you supported before know one wants to see openwheel racing continue to decline in america. I could not stand the IRL, but I will watch every race this year and wait around at least until 2010 to see what new teams come into the series and if this new series has any potential.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 02:19 (Ref:2153098)   #179
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdawg727
It's interesting to see the mood of this thread drastically change from page 1 to page 4.
I guess some racing "Fans" that have never watched an IRL "race" before are still sad that there is one series not nothing at all.

Some people still hate this series on principle.

We'll be the ones laughing as we enjoy the series and the racing whilest they sit there stewing. I guess it IS possible to hate a unified series after all!
Old 16 Mar 2008, 06:18 (Ref:2153250)   #180
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do u think there will be a seris in 2010 i think its make or break now 2009 then nothing
Old 16 Mar 2008, 06:34 (Ref:2153267)   #181
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I really wish that would happen.
That would leave just the Indy 500, and prove that all the rules past he turn of the century have been a pleasant as dog crop on a sunny window shelf.

They would either have to scrap all the new "modern" ideas, or watch it all die.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2153461)   #182
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
I guess some racing "Fans" that have never watched an IRL "race" before are still sad that there is one series not nothing at all.

Some people still hate this series on principle.

We'll be the ones laughing as we enjoy the series and the racing whilest they sit there stewing. I guess it IS possible to hate a unified series after all!
The german guy in the other thread summed it up particularly well, if we'd wanted to watch IRL, we would have done so in the past. 'Unified series' isn't the most apt name for the situation.

IRL fans have lost nothing since last year and gained everything. Champcar fans have had their series absolved into another, with a couple of races and some drivers/teams remaining. Obviously most of us aren't exactly in ecstasy over this.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2153480)   #183
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can one be "fan" of a racing series ?
Old 16 Mar 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2153667)   #184
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGG
The german guy in the other thread summed it up particularly well, if we'd wanted to watch IRL, we would have done so in the past. 'Unified series' isn't the most apt name for the situation.

IRL fans have lost nothing since last year and gained everything. Champcar fans have had their series absolved into another, with a couple of races and some drivers/teams remaining. Obviously most of us aren't exactly in ecstasy over this.
As I said before there were not enough of you fans to keep the series around.

I believe most of you will come over, since you take the time to post on the IRL site anyway.

Beacuse the Indy Racing League will be the only show around here, no entity called "American Open Wheel Racing" exists.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2153805)   #185
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr230772
do u think there will be a seris in 2010 i think its make or break now 2009 then nothing
2008 will be rough, 2009 should be smoother. But I think that the IRL must work really hard this year and next year to make sure that 2010 is stable.

2009 as a make-or-break-year may be a bit much, but certainly the IRL needs to be stable within 5 years with teams, tracks, and sponsors.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2154144)   #186
JohnnySTR
Rookie

JohnnySTR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think the IRL fans should gloat over Champ Car fans that are upset at the demise of their series. Its not like the IRL has been a stunning success either. Unless they can start to expand viewership and bring in more sponsors and top drivers it will go the way of Champ Car. Tony George needs to expand the schedule and have more road races and street tracks mixed in with the ovals like it was when things were good and not just try to copy nascar with openwheel cars. It will be interesting to see what the new car in 2010 brings, hopefully multiple chassis and multiple engine manufacturers, but that is highly unlikely. As long as the car isnt butt ugly like it is now I will be able to settle for that. At least if things continue to go poorly the ALMS is continuing to improve
Old 17 Mar 2008, 07:12 (Ref:2154408)   #187
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just think we should put "IRL fans" vs"CC Fans" behind us.

I see it will take some time to get over it for some die hard cc fans, but now there's only on series which can, at last!, rejoice OWR in the US
Old 17 Mar 2008, 07:34 (Ref:2154413)   #188
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb

I see it will take some time to get over it for some die hard cc fans, but now there's only on series which can, at last!, rejoice OWR in the US
Yea that Good call climb

Has anyone actually got a current line up list ?????
Old 17 Mar 2008, 13:07 (Ref:2154660)   #189
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb

Absolutley agree.

This is a new start. A new unified championship. No winners. No losers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
As I said before there were not enough of you fans to keep the series around.
I find these comments worrying, in the sense that both series were failing. Why keep pointing fingers and trying to get the last laugh. I find it quite odd that someone is trying to claim higher ground on the mess that was the last 10 years. I feel that they miss the point of this merger.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2154944)   #190
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think whats bothering a lot people especially the CC fans is the fact that we have to watch the new series with the same old and dangerous Dallara race cars which I find boring. I think what CC fans, and most fans of open wheel really wanted to see was a new series formed from the two existing series with a new car and even playing field for everyone.

I think a few other things is that we've lost a few teams who were not willing to make the switch over to the IRL which is disappointing, because with us losing them we've also lost some of our favorite drivers and thats depressing.

Also I think the race schedule is not Ideal right now ether, and not enough Champ Car race events are on the calender for this season in fact I think its only three. So you have to understand that the Champ Car fans at this moment feel like their getting the short end of the stick. At first I was very happy about the merger but since the agreement for one series I have lost a lot of my excitement because of teams not making the switch, the length of time estimated for a new chases and engine specs, and just the over all realization that were going to be watching the same exact IRL that we've always been watching with some more back markers in the mix thanks to CC finally giving up. Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti Green are still going to be way ahead of everyone and thats how its going to be until we get new cars and new engines.

The teams with the most money are always going to run toward the front and have the best drivers, but right now it's just the teams that have a lot of money in the IRL that are going to be running at the front. All the Champ Car teams won't be able to really compete at the front because they don't have the experience needed with the car.

I think the most exciting races were going to see this year will be probably be the road and street tracks just because the Champ Car Drivers will be more competitive their then anywhere else.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 20:24 (Ref:2155035)   #191
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpunk75
Also I think the race schedule is not Ideal right now ether, and not enough Champ Car race events are on the calender for this season in fact I think its only three. So you have to understand that the Champ Car fans at this moment feel like their getting the short end of the stick.

I think the most exciting races were going to see this year will be probably be the road and street tracks just because the Champ Car Drivers will be more competitive their then anywhere else.
Time may heal this. I have to say I am gobsmacked with the turnaround of the merger. To put together what they have in such a short space should be applauded. Give them a bit of time and you may get your wish.

Old 17 Mar 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2155098)   #192
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've said it before and i'll say it again:

Its going to be 2009-10 before we get a good schedule together.

A new car is due in 2010-11.

Be patient!
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 17 Mar 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2155149)   #193
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are we urged to be patient now, when wasn't KK patient enough to run out the 08 season, and Merge for 09, without the confusion and deceit that led to this Absorbtion?
Old 17 Mar 2008, 23:22 (Ref:2155197)   #194
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coyne's set to announce drivers on Wednesday... there's also talk that Bernoldi is in the 2nd Conquest car.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 01:53 (Ref:2155271)   #195
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Coyne's set to announce drivers on Wednesday... there's also talk that Bernoldi is in the 2nd Conquest car.
Source..?
Old 18 Mar 2008, 04:34 (Ref:2155315)   #196
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
A new car is due in 2010-11.

Hopefully it's not a new 'car' in 2010-11, but rather just new 'technical regulations'

Would be a real shame if it was a spec chassis introduced.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 04:36 (Ref:2155317)   #197
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
I've said it before and i'll say it again:

Its going to be 2009-10 before we get a good schedule together.

Be patient!

That's what I've been saying too!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 04:37 (Ref:2155318)   #198
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's photos of Bernoldi having a seat fitting at Conquest on the indycar website.

http://www.indycar.com/news/2008/se...50-03172008.jpg

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 18 Mar 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2155666)   #199
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And confirmed on Autosport:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65880
Old 18 Mar 2008, 15:24 (Ref:2155676)   #200
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpunk75
I think whats bothering a lot people especially the CC fans is the fact that we have to watch the new series with the same old and dangerous Dallara race cars which I find boring.....
dangerous dallara cars?
How many drivers have been kille in those "dangerous" Dallara cars? None, despite terrible accidents like the one of Mario Andretti, which shows that those Dallara chassis are probably the safest around.
For the records, the drivers dead in IRL in the last 10 yrs were all driving GForce cars.

And about a car being "boring" it's quite curious! I've always heard about boring races, because the point is not the car, but who drives it, and how it behaves in the race that determine whether a race's boring or not to watch.

Those "boring" cars have produced races with up to 26 lead changes, and the closest finishes ever, then I'd like to know how on Earth you can judge them boring.