Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 21 Jan 2004, 17:43 (Ref:845659)   #1
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
American in UK question

I'll be leaving for the UK this weekend for 2 or 3 months. I've been a marshal in the US for a few years and want to do an event or two while I'm working abroad.

Will I need to get an MSA license or will my SCCA license do?
Any events close to Selby/York that are must do in the next few months?

Since we wear white, must I get some orange or can I just bring the whites and make use of them?

I've already checked out the marshals.org.uk and Marshal's Post and learned a lot there, but had these few remaining questions.

Thanks for the help!

Kurt.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 18:25 (Ref:845708)   #2
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Kurt! Welcome to the land of the long grey drizzle!
You should get in with your SCCA license, as by the time the MSA has issued your card, you'll be back in Ohio! Just get tickets just in case.
Don't bother with orange either. It'll be cold/wet/snowing/all three, that several layers will be over your whites, so it don't matter!
The UK racing season doesn't get going until mid-march, so rallys will be your best bet. The good bit is you are slap bang in the middle of England's Rally World.
If you can get to a training day, get there as you will be able to see the differences between US & UK marshalling in reasonable comfort.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 21:34 (Ref:845912)   #3
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome kirk. The two nearest Circuits to Selby are Cadwell Park Nr Louth in Lincolnshire (Just over an hour from Selby)& Croft Nr. Darlington (about the same traveling time)You are also Near the Yorkshire forests famed for it's rallies.
Elvington an old airfield near York is used for rallies and Drag racing Blyton near Gainsborough holds rallycross meetings. Then there are several gras tracks circuits around although not directly controlled by the MSA they do provide good racing. I am sure if you are interested in any particular meeting there are enough of us around to point you in the right direction. Enjoy your stay
Old 22 Jan 2004, 00:12 (Ref:846172)   #4
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey 73! I envy you.

Your SCCA license is recognized by the MSA but just so you're aware that SCCA insurance will not cover the events. MSA groups have their own insurance.

It's not necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to let your SCCA regional or divisional administrator know about your trip. And get your license supplement signed. Many RAs are unaware that SCCA is required to count days worked under other ASNs, but those days will count on your SCCA license.

Have a blast.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 08:56 (Ref:846513)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello Kurt, welcome to cold and wet England!

What is your "normal" marshalling duty in the States? Perhaps you could come and meet some of the English marshals for a chat at the training day at Donington at the end of February? Donington isn't as close to Selby as some circuits but it is worth seeing.

Sheila
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:14 (Ref:846587)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
A little bit further afield, about 100 miles from Selby, is Oulton Park. Come & join us - you won't be disappointed!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:14 (Ref:846588)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kurt - you'll probably find that your SCCA licence will NOT get you into our circuits. Our MSA licences only get us into a couple - you will need tickets like the rest of us!
Once you decide where you fancy marshalling, post it here and I'm sure somebody will either get you a spare ticket or put you in touch with the chief marshal of the event. You will be most welcome at Oulton Park in Cheshire - first meeting April 12th - only an hour or so from Selby!

Mark
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:15 (Ref:846590)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dave - you clicked "SEND" at the same time as me.....sorry for doubling up!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:26 (Ref:846609)   #9
Scallywag
Rookie

Scallywag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are marshalling in Yorkshire....

Watch out for friendly Fire......

Scally
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:50 (Ref:846629)   #10
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Message deleted by author

*Why wouldn't it let me delete, but would let me edit? ho hum*

Al

Last edited by Alan Green; 22 Jan 2004 at 10:59.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:53 (Ref:846634)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Dave - you clicked "SEND" at the same time as me.....sorry for doubling up!
'Great minds think alike'/'Fools seldom differ'

Delete as appropriate!

You're a bit optimistic with your 'hour or so', though! My route planner gives the distance as 98.9 miles......
Old 22 Jan 2004, 11:04 (Ref:846645)   #12
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can safely say that it will take around 90 minutes to get to Oulton from Selby as I go from St. Helens to the other side of Selby and that takes 90mins some times less
Old 22 Jan 2004, 11:16 (Ref:846654)   #13
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blyton 1st Feb, 21 Mar, Both Rallycross
Donington 20+21 Mar, 27+28 Mar, Both club (car) race meetings
Croft 28 Feb Rallycross
Cadwell 28 Feb Single venue rally

AFAIK Oulton doesn't have anything on (oher than training days) until April. If you know how long you'll be here for let me know and I'll get some other dates for you.

I had hoped to send you a link to a map highlighting where all these circuits are in relation to Selby, but it's having none of it, sorry.

If you're a hockey fan can I interest you in seeing a game in Sheffield while you're over here, hopefully clinching the Elite League championship (which we're leading at the moment )
Old 22 Jan 2004, 13:27 (Ref:846793)   #14
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
Hey guys (and Sheila),
Thanks for all the help!
The issue is that since I'm going on the company dollar, they get first dibs on my time.
I'd love to have a chance to get up with some of you if at all possible. I already have Donnington on my list for the GP museum (Thanks to Graham from DSC for that).
Once I know what weekends I have free, I'll ask what is going on and where. I'm leaving Saturday and cannot wait to get over there!
Had to go to a psuedo-pub here last night to get primed and ready.
Kurt.
oh, I am a hockey fan and will try to go. Just give me a time and place. What about a football match?

Last edited by 73_Gstock; 22 Jan 2004 at 13:28.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 13:56 (Ref:846825)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by 73_Gstock
...What about a football match?
Nah! They're for sissy's
Old 22 Jan 2004, 14:22 (Ref:846856)   #16
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's football?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 14:36 (Ref:846866)   #17
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
I did mean English (or world) football. Not the sissy American stuff.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 14:54 (Ref:846884)   #18
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't football that thing with round ball where one little push you get injured/ penalty and sent off?
Now Rugby is what you need see and what and you are in a perfect spot to watch the 13 a side game. Bradford / Leeds 30 minutes away.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 14:55 (Ref:846888)   #19
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a diehard Rallycross fan I can highly recommend a Rallycross meeting to anyone who loves seeing cars racing hard from flag to flag, with tail out action all the way.

And if you're from America, surely any circuit in Britain would be "just down the road a way" for you?

Enjoy yourself.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:26 (Ref:846926)   #20
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Observer is correct, the SCCA license will not get you into the circuit to spectate but you can marshal on it.

Sheila - our marshalling on the banks is a bit different than yours. We all rotate through flagging, safety and communications each session. Communications is on radio or a party-phone type hardline where every station can hear every other station. The role of observer is called captain and that person doesn't work communications unless there are too few people to rotate through the job.

Marshalling pits, paddock and grid are pretty much the same though.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:44 (Ref:846950)   #21
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnomex
As a diehard Rallycross fan I can highly recommend a Rallycross meeting to anyone who loves seeing cars racing hard from flag to flag, with tail out action all the way.

And if you're from America, surely any circuit in Britain would be "just down the road a way" for you?

Enjoy yourself.
This is a true-ism if I ever heard.

My home track is a 2 hour to 2 1/2 hour journey on the Interstate.
Last year I drove to Road America (8 hours) and Road Atlanta (9 to 10 hours). This year, when I'm in the states, I'm hoping to go to Nelson Ledges for a 12 hour, which is only about 4 hours. Also want to try and make it to Summit Point (about 6 hours) before the wife starts popping kids.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:47 (Ref:846965)   #22
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by 73_Gstock
...Also want to try and make it to Summit Point (about 6 hours) before the wife starts popping kids.
Then all you'll get is "That's right, you go off marshalling and leave me with the kids all day!"

I understood that to mean that it was OK!
But Mrs Observer had a different interpretation!
Old 22 Jan 2004, 15:59 (Ref:846987)   #23
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Then all you'll get is "That's right, you go off marshalling and leave me with the kids all day!"

I understood that to mean that it was OK!
But Mrs Observer had a different interpretation!
You could always stop at home and let Mrs Observer go marshalling for a change; unless she's marshalled at places other than Oulton it's that long since she wasa able to marshal she'll have forgotten what to do.

Old 22 Jan 2004, 16:07 (Ref:847001)   #24
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheila M
Hello Kurt, welcome to cold and wet England!

What is your "normal" marshalling duty in the States? Perhaps you could come and meet some of the English marshals for a chat at the training day at Donington at the end of February? Donington isn't as close to Selby as some circuits but it is worth seeing.

Sheila
To add to what Sheila has said Oulton and Croft both hold their training day(s) on 7 & 8 February and the National Training day is at Silverstone on 22 February.

For Oulton all grades of Incident are on the Saturday, 7 and all other diciplines are on Sunday, 8 there are also two separate seminars for Flags and Observers at Oulton on 22 February.

Last edited by KayBee; 22 Jan 2004 at 16:12.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 12:25 (Ref:848139)   #25
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forgot to mention - the first "clubbie" meeting of the season is in March at Mallory Park. Now that is a good little circuit and if you could make it I think you would enjoy the day. Can't remember the exact date at the minute but I'm sure someone will fill in the details.