Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Oct 2021, 06:24 (Ref:4077570)   #1
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Members' Meeting

I am slightly surprised there is no thread on this already. In exactly a week's time I will be waiting impatiently at the gate . Excellent entry now published on Goodwood website and very much looking forward to it - St Mary's here I come (one tries to avoid hoi poloi at Madgwick )
Old 9 Oct 2021, 06:28 (Ref:4077571)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Team Delta have three 500 to run including ex Stirling Moss Kieft . Having to split team as we have cars at Silystone this weekend as well . See you there .?
Old 9 Oct 2021, 07:43 (Ref:4077576)   #3
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I'm sure you will. Which other cars are you racing?
Old 9 Oct 2021, 09:10 (Ref:4077583)   #4
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just hoping the mild weather continues, like many others I'm really looking forward to next weekend. I have my swing badge and will be out at one of the most spectacular viewing areas at No Name on the approach to St Mary's.
https://www.goodwood.com/globalasset...ry-list-v1.pdf
Old 9 Oct 2021, 09:50 (Ref:4077586)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I shall be there spectating with long lens in hand. Sadly the chap who bought my car hasn't been able to enter. I think it's a logistics problem.
Old 9 Oct 2021, 11:17 (Ref:4077596)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Elva 160 GT,Talbots, Lea Francais Hyper and Elite are entered.
Let’s hope weather is reasonable
It’s a packed October
Old 9 Oct 2021, 11:39 (Ref:4077599)   #7
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I wasn't going to go because it is pretty much the same each year ... but ... the Rally Sprint looks fantastic! I think I will go just for that on Sat evening / Sun morniing.
Old 9 Oct 2021, 15:50 (Ref:4077619)   #8
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I wasn't going to go because it is pretty much the same each year ... but ... the Rally Sprint looks fantastic! I think I will go just for that on Sat evening / Sun morniing.
Far too expensive for me every year and it has started to feel surprisingly repetitive. Silverstone for me. A good honest day of club racing and at least it’s on the short circuit so the cars do come round more often. £14 makes it a bargain too
Old 9 Oct 2021, 21:17 (Ref:4077661)   #9
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Far too expensive for me every year and it has started to feel surprisingly repetitive. Silverstone for me.
I have largely stopped going to HSCC meetings because I realised I was seeing the exact same cars year after year. The repetitiveness is a feature of Historic racing which sets 1966 as its pivot point, it’s not a particular problem of Goodwood IMO.

In isolation the MM is very expensive. But I tend to plan my motorsport against a rough annual budget so there’s room for the odd premium product alongside my £180 MSV annual pass, from which I get around £500 of value. YMMV ofc.
Old 15 Oct 2021, 11:38 (Ref:4078576)   #10
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I have largely stopped going to HSCC meetings because I realised I was seeing the exact same cars year after year. The repetitiveness is a feature of Historic racing which sets 1966 as its pivot point, it’s not a particular problem of Goodwood IMO.

In isolation the MM is very expensive. But I tend to plan my motorsport against a rough annual budget so there’s room for the odd premium product alongside my £180 MSV annual pass, from which I get around £500 of value. YMMV ofc.
I weakened and then I succumbed. Just booked for the weekend.
Old 9 Oct 2021, 13:00 (Ref:4077601)   #11
Mary Bell
Rookie

Mary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will be there..... myself and David, never been before we have no idea what to expect but really looking forward to it. Any tips? Oh is there a dress code?

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Oct 2021, 13:15 (Ref:4077603)   #12
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Bell View Post
Any tips? Oh is there a dress code?
Tips - wander about, see things from different angles, chat to teams in the paddocks, enjoy the lack of crowds

Dress Code - no. They ask that people dress smartly but no-one is going to turn you away or even say anything, it's generally a very friendly event. I tend to put on something a little smarter than my usual jeans and boots, but I don't even own a jacket .
Old 9 Oct 2021, 17:24 (Ref:4077632)   #13
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Bell View Post
We will be there..... myself and David, never been before we have no idea what to expect but really looking forward to it. Any tips? Oh is there a dress code?

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
Get in early and stay late. Be sure to explore the paddock , especially on Sat morning as cars are being woken up.

Don't assume that because most of the crowd watches between Chicane and Madgwick , it's the best place to watch - it's fine but the cognoscenti (get me ) prefer out back. St Mary's is fabulous - but keep moving and find out for yourself .

If the event is on TSL (I expect it will be ) access it on your phone as it gives you full live timing of races .

Don't assume the weather will be fine...

and finally , don't waste any time reflecting on how much your day is costing. It is worth it , so just enjoy every second .
Old 9 Oct 2021, 13:12 (Ref:4077602)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No dress code. Maybe see you there.
Old 13 Oct 2021, 09:37 (Ref:4078290)   #15
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood have updated the Entry List with a few changes to the entry, the Earl Howe grid seems to have grown considerably.

The Gerry Marshall Trophy heats appear to be based on engine sizes, with the Minis, Fiestas, Toyotas, VW Golfs etc. in Heat 1 and the Capris, Rovers, the Opel Commodore, and Americana in Heat 2.

http://https://www.goodwood.com/glob...th-october.pdf
Old 15 Oct 2021, 14:14 (Ref:4078596)   #16
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recognise the hesitance with the financial commitment, first MM for me this weekend although I have attended most Revival meetings. One of the other other problems I seem to be having these days is hiking down the Lavant straight which seems to have become longer every year, come to that what's the parking like at the MM? presumably somewhat less of a hike than the Revival where you seem to be located in a another county!
Old 15 Oct 2021, 15:53 (Ref:4078607)   #17
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I recognise the hesitance with the financial commitment, first MM for me this weekend although I have attended most Revival meetings. One of the other other problems I seem to be having these days is hiking down the Lavant straight which seems to have become longer every year, come to that what's the parking like at the MM? presumably somewhat less of a hike than the Revival where you seem to be located in a another county!
Last time I went the parking was right by the main entrance which is far more convenient. Best bit about MM Is that it really is open all areas including the pits roof and inside of the chicane as well as all the paddocks, so you get some different viewpoints. No tractor rides though but less crowded.and for me at least, a better atmosphere. Out in the country from Madgwick round to Lavant is often almost empty.
Old 15 Oct 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4078625)   #18
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
...come to that what's the parking like at the MM? presumably somewhat less of a hike than the Revival where you seem to be located in a another county!
The crowd is a small fraction of that which attends Revival. When I've been to MM I have always parked in the car park across the road from the main entrance.
Old 15 Oct 2021, 17:44 (Ref:4078619)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I normally go to the MM but this year I am stuck in Spain with 25=30c weather, also no fuel queues with diesel at €1.24 per Lt (or less) out in the sticks.
I hope it all goes well for anyone on tenths that is racing and it hope you don't get that stuff called rain that tends to dull a meeting, although watching the Revival with some of the "drift" races was interesting in the wet !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Oct 2021, 18:34 (Ref:4078628)   #20
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Thanks for the informative input guys and Gordon it's time to get back in your cave!
Old 15 Oct 2021, 20:10 (Ref:4078639)   #21
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thanks for the informative input guys and Gordon it's time to get back in your cave!
OK I thought it was safe to come out
Gordon Cave.jpg
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Oct 2021, 20:23 (Ref:4078641)   #22
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Attachment 71212
Old 15 Oct 2021, 22:29 (Ref:4078651)   #23
piekey
Rookie

piekey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Attachment 71212
Ok Gordon
When you do come out of the cave ? Do you now do 90 days in Spain & 90 back in uk ? & so on, or do the authorities now realise they do need tourism & turn a blind eye ?
Old 16 Oct 2021, 11:57 (Ref:4078703)   #24
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by piekey View Post
Ok Gordon
When you do come out of the cave ? Do you now do 90 days in Spain & 90 back in uk ? & so on, or do the authorities now realise they do need tourism & turn a blind eye ?
The whole thing is a complete balls up, although they have started stamping passports on arrival in Spain they do not stamp them on departure or arrival back in the UK so how does anyone know the score , however I "suppose" we are all on big brother computers ? I have no idea WTF is going on at the moment.
The thing is that the UK has never been in the Schengen open border zone so in reality it's always been like it but never implemented.
There always has been and still are people living under the radar in EU countries also in the UK with the population growing every week with the daily boat trips across the channel !
Old 16 Oct 2021, 11:39 (Ref:4078698)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Seems you can't have the youtube live stream this year either!
You can pay 4 quid to join the 'fellowship' to get it.
I really want to watch the G1s but i'm not paying for it.