Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 16 Jul 2001, 22:49 (Ref:117994)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mark Martin and Terry Labonte, two great drivers but what has happened to them?

These two drivers used to run up front every week and were always in the championship hunt. Now, you are lucky to see them in the top five---especially Terry.

The million dollar question is, what has happened to them? Is it their equipment or their desire or a combination of both?

During the broadcast, someone said that by Mark retiring from Busch Grand National, it has hurt his performance in Winston Cup. Why? Because racing BGN helps with set-up info when NASCAR Winston Cup races at the same tracks that weekend. What do you all think?
Old 17 Jul 2001, 00:06 (Ref:118017)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that is an interesting point about mark retiring from bgn and it hurting his car set up for wc..... but in general all the roush boys have been a bit slower than they were last year, ie; kenseth, burton (definitely), martin & well busch is a rookie...... i think the 3 rousch boys are running from 10th to 15th, so they are certainly getting back up there, but why are rousch fords so of the pace of the yates fords

as for terry labonte, he has never really recovered from his accident last year , though his team-mate jerry nadeau has had any ordinary year, while jeff gordon has been rocking , why doesnt terry use jeffs set up :confused:
Old 17 Jul 2001, 04:50 (Ref:118110)   #3
strohslite#6
Rookie

strohslite#6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree on the BGN deal. And finally yesterday Mark took one step closer to the stage of the Waldorf at years end. Hope it continues. However, the season is only half over. Prayer for continued climb, one rung at a time.
Thanks Joe Fan for this link
Old 17 Jul 2001, 06:33 (Ref:118132)   #4
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
strohslite#6, no problem and welcome aboard!

I wonder if the death of Mark's father has affected his performance. He was real close to his father and his father helped get him into racing at a very young age. I know after losing my father that my perspective on life changed. I used to be real gung ho when it came to my career but after my father died, my goals changed and I seen the importance of enjoying life instead of busting my arse trying to climb the career ladder.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 15:16 (Ref:118350)   #5
Rocktire
Rookie

Rocktire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think many factors have contributed to Marks decline. His fathers death. His back injury and subsequent surgery. His sons racing. And let's not forget, it's been a down year for Roush as well. I think there is a chance he rise to his former level, but it is no certainty.JMO

Terry, while winning two championships was never really one of the elite guys. Besides those 2 years, was he ever really a factor? I don't see him getting any better. I don't buy the "inferior equipment" argument I see from many of his fans. I just think he no longer has it. JMO
Old 18 Jul 2001, 00:16 (Ref:118593)   #6
Joe Fan
Veteran

I heard Mark make some comments a few years ago that indicated to me that he isn't worried about winning a championship anymore, that winning races was more important to him. At that time, I felt like he was pretty much accepting that he would never win a Winston Cup championship. Maybe this is his problem.

However, one cannot ignore the BGN issue. Burton has become the top driver at Roush and he still competes in the BGN series.

As far as Terry Labonte, you have to wonder about him since even his teammate Jerry Nadeau is outperforming him. I like Terry and I feel that he can still win a race now and then but he has slipped considerably.