Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 29 Mar 2003, 19:48 (Ref:552338)   #1
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Combe 29th March 2003

Just been checking the MST website and they have no data from this meeting at all. Was anyone there today who can feed back some results, particularly the FF1600 championship round? Thanks all...
Old 29 Mar 2003, 20:19 (Ref:552367)   #2
Patrick
Rookie

Patrick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was as per usual for Combe a good day. The FF1600 was won by Josh Fisher driving one of jadlam racing's new Van Diemens, second was Chris Axford, third went to Paul Barnes. Class B was won by Alan Slater. Castle Combe GT's had a tiny grid and Tony Sinclair ran away with that in a Jade. Castle Combe saloons were quite good with some great new cars. Tim Hanlon won that from Russ Humphery in a very expensive looking and well prepared new Astra, class C was won by Tony MacWhiter after a bit of physical battle with Arthur Marks. A mention has to go to the MGB V8's who were great to watch, some nice cars out there in that one.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 20:54 (Ref:552400)   #3
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How about the Xtreme minis. That bloke who finished 5th overall even though their start was about 15 seconds after teh saloons...

MG by far the best to watch.

I dont often go to the circuits so was amazed that we were screwed £10 to get in and then had to buy a program after that too. Is this the norm? My friend told me it was also an extra £6 to get into the paddock... Is this true?

Fun day out.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 20:57 (Ref:552402)   #4
imull
Veteran

Did anyone see that gorgeous new TVR going around the perimiter road thing. I'll take two please.
Old 29 Mar 2003, 22:30 (Ref:552466)   #5
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks Patrick, was Fisher impressive or did he just have the right car?? nevertheless, a good result as he has not driven there before has he? also, have you any ides about fastest lap in the FF1600's? Good to see Alan Slater winning the B class, what was his opposition like cos I guess Andrew Jones is playing with the big boys now!? Imull, yes you normally have to pay extra for a programme wherever you go, and to pay to go into the paddock is normal practice as well. I cant think of any other circuits where you get in free, unless you are a child of course!!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 07:28 (Ref:552693)   #6
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isle of Mull to Castle Combe is quite a trip for your first meeting? I don't recall being charged for paddock admission at any british club meeting in recent years.Only Lydden & Anglesey were less than £10 when I was last there in 2001.Just £6 for 2 days I think.Never been to Knockhill-what do they do there?
Old 30 Mar 2003, 09:37 (Ref:552735)   #7
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Verglas, Fisher took a toght but controlled win, didn't run off the front of everyone but did just enough to hold off a tight leading pack of 4. Slater was 5th overall I think, with Gary Marsh being the only one to hold a candle to him, on the back of the 5th to 8th place train. And Fisher raced at Combe in Zips last year (and a F.Renault Tatuus in the Mono 2000 race too).

Best race of the day was the MG's, a particular highlight being Spencer McCarthy and Rob Huff going side by side through Old Paddock om the last lap, for the lead of class B, great stuff.

Also felt sorry for the chap in the very fast Extreme Mini who left the bottom half of his big end on the grass just passed us at Old Paddock. That looked expensive

Last edited by Marshal; 30 Mar 2003 at 09:38.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 10:04 (Ref:552752)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good day.. great FF race, and MG's were epic - esepcially at Old Paddock on the last lap!

More of the same please..
Old 30 Mar 2003, 10:28 (Ref:552770)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that speccie admission fees to circuits are way way too high. lower the cost, increase the number of speccies let the clubs do some proper local marketing and let motor racing become great again.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 10:48 (Ref:552793)   #10
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is 10 quid for a day's entertainment too high? Pretty big crowd for your average club meeting as well. Would appear that people are willing to pay.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 11:52 (Ref:552831)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
they are but a tenner to watch the likes of me is a bit steep. Though It would be worth it if the circuits treated the fans better than they do. Castle Combe gets it right every time, Brands certainly does not.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 12:34 (Ref:552859)   #12
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Agreed.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 16:40 (Ref:552960)   #13
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah I think £10 is about right. If I want to go and watch a meeting, it won't make any difference if they are charging £7 or £15 - I think most fans would probably agree - which is why the circuits do it!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 18:10 (Ref:553021)   #14
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was an up and down day for me too..... qual 6th.....3rd into first corner and ended up 7th grrrr.
Oh well, allways next time
Old 30 Mar 2003, 19:59 (Ref:553083)   #15
Patrick
Rookie

Patrick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Verglas, Josh did have the right car being a jadlam racing Van Diemen 01, the one that David Male won the carnival with at Combe last year. But not to take anything away from him he did drive well. Alan Slater also drove well, he actually finished ahead of Andrew Jones in his very nice looking class A Swift. As the season progresses I can see Alan having some more competition, as others improve. In saying that Gary Marsh is quite quick already and was last year too. Fastest lap I think went to Alex Ames but don't quote me on that one, I'm not 100%.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 20:10 (Ref:553094)   #16
imull
Veteran

Rob, Im at Uni in Swansea. Not quite that keen. lol

I have been to a few races before but normally when the words free and ticket come in close succession. Been to Pembrey and Knockhill several times.

I go to about 25 rallies each year so am I am not used to paying. I have only 'watched' 1 rally in the last 2 years as I prefer to marshal normally. Was down at Caerwent today marshalling. (Sun burn in March!!! )

Not to bothered really at paying £10 as I knew about that before I went, was a tad surprised to be given a flyer for teh driving school and no program. When I spectated on a rally recently we paid £3 to park the car and each got an entry list and stage timetable included. The paddock access was annoying though as that was the main reason I went.

£10 for a day I can cope with but £20 plus fuel and an ice cream soon puts a serious dent in my pocket
Old 30 Mar 2003, 21:41 (Ref:553184)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
exactly! if you got a good meeting (like at combe) with good commentary, good doughnuts and a realistic view on paddock access (like at combe) and parking, with a basic programme included in the gate price then £12 is fine. BUT! for a fairly average clubbie meeting at Brands indy with bad doughnuts and me driving then a tenner aint worth it!, I'll be interested to see what the ticket price for Snet is for next weekends Lion Heart 4hrs race, (wow just realised thats an hour and 20 minutes on track for me plus practice and testing - its gonna hurt!!!) cos thats simply a short ferrari race, a short formula honda race and then a 4hour mission in beetles.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 22:38 (Ref:553233)   #18
imull
Veteran

how many doughnuts is that then?

Got to put these things in a quantifiable form lol
Old 31 Mar 2003, 09:45 (Ref:553560)   #19
N M Ramsden
Rookie

Wales
Portskewett, Monmouthshire
N M Ramsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
imull, if your up for giving marshalling a go then pop to Pembrey 12/13 April and give it a go. They normally have overalls to let you use for the day. If interested I can put you in touch with those that matter. I live 2 miles from Caerwent and couldn't get there to marshal due to other plans. I was playing golf and could hear the cars and really really wanted to be there.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 11:34 (Ref:553645)   #20
imull
Veteran

Unfortunately, I will be at home then. Mum wants to see her darling little boy lol.

Really wanted to go and see the trucks this year. Could not make it last year. Will definitely pop up for the next day of racing when im not 600 miles away...
Old 31 Mar 2003, 12:08 (Ref:553679)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
with hot dougnuts
Old 31 Mar 2003, 12:19 (Ref:553696)   #22
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not think £10 is bad value for a full day's motorsport, I pay £12 to watch Oxford United for 90 minutes now that is sad - Balders
Old 31 Mar 2003, 13:27 (Ref:553768)   #23
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
I did too when I lived in oxford!
Old 31 Mar 2003, 20:17 (Ref:554176)   #24
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say that I thought Combe was very average-racing was no more than ok (except the FFords!)and the crowds for Combe was way down-certainly at Quarry. I know a good number of ardent enthusiasts who hardly every miss a Combe meeting but didnt bother as the programme was hardly a big draw-they did the 750 meeting at Don'and had a great day apparently!
Old 1 Apr 2003, 14:06 (Ref:554923)   #25
alfaman
Racer

Mauritius
Middlesex
alfaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Combe usually offers good value for money for the spectator.

But after looking at what was racing at Combe I chose to go to Brands on Sunday instead because I thought the line-up was better (including Alfas).

It cost me £10 to get in, £2 to park on South Bank (because I'm lazy) and another £2 for a programme. A full day's action for £14 is pretty good I think.

I'm another one who used to chuck their money away watching Oxford United but in those days it was about £4 or £5 to get in!