Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 May 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1297741)   #1
fjamo
Rookie

fjamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why was Formula Ireland stopped?

Hello

I looked at interesting starting classes for open formula racing and came accross
Formula Ireland. Unfortunately it is no longer running, does anybody know why?

Was it because Stephan died?

Thanks

F.

:-(
Old 11 May 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1298131)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hi fjamo, I've moved this to the National and Club racing forum as I think it's more appropriate here than in Tributes.

I'm not 100% sure why FI was closed down. I know a few people who were associated with the class come here, so maybe one of them can enlighten us.

I do know that there was a very small field of them last year and many drivers have moved on to other classes, so possibly it was a case that there were not enough drivers to make up a championship.

If you're interested in starting in single seaters in Ireland, your best bet would be to look at Vees, Sheanes or Formula Fords. All have healthy classes and I can get you contacts for the class co-ordinators if you would like to know more.
Old 11 May 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1298222)   #3
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
Hi fjamo, I've moved this to the National and Club racing forum as I think it's more appropriate
Maybe CLSS EP, as a lot of SS drivers don't look in Nat & Club and vice versa
Old 11 May 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1298278)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Good point diz
Old 11 May 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1298306)   #5
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Stephen's death made it easier to stop the championship, but the real reason was that it had less than 10 cars starting nearly every race last season.

In the BTCC support race, there were only 5 finishers in two classes, and it had to be red flagged twice.
Old 13 May 2005, 06:40 (Ref:1299654)   #6
RAY DACKOMBE
Rookie

RAY DACKOMBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F/ireland

these cars have found a home in mono racing,four to date,they are quite competative as well
Old 13 May 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1299662)   #7
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY DACKOMBE
these cars have found a home in mono racing,four to date,they are quite competative as well
well, depends on the driver! Seems to be 1 tooling around at the back!
Old 13 May 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1300113)   #8
SCOBER11
Racer

SCOBER11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Ireland was never going to work,i remember being at open forum meetings and MI were relentless at pushing this series even though we had 5 single seater classes already.A select few wanted 'slicks and wings' and so formula ireland was born.
As far as i am concerned our country is too small for a high budget formula,learn your trade in the smaller powered classes then go to uk for the more big budget stuff.

Just a note to say that in ff1600 southern ireland championship this year the winner will get to take home the Stephen Sinnott throphy.
Old 13 May 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1300326)   #9
Dunzer
Rookie

Ireland
Ireland
Dunzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

SCOBER11, I couldn't agree more. Formula Ireland was doomed from the start, there was only ever a max of about ten drivers in it at the beginning and last year about six. I heard some drivers were spending around 75 grand per season. As you quite rightly say, get the experience in the lower categories and save your money for the UK if your capable.

By the way, do you know whatever happened to the Fionn Murray Memorial Trophy which was introduced a few years back to the winner of the same championship? Sounds like a slap in the face to the Murray family who invested a lot of effort and money in the very impressive trophy for it now to be unused
Old 14 May 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1300577)   #10
RAY DACKOMBE
Rookie

RAY DACKOMBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F/ireland

as you know Andy there is a wide range of talent & and cars in the club,always someone to play with
Old 17 May 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1303228)   #11
SCOBER11
Racer

SCOBER11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't know that there was a f murray throphy.Derck m came up with this latest edition. Maybe the last fellow never gave it back???I know that a few years ago the guy that won pre 90 in NI never gave back his because he said he won it he was keeping it!