Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Aug 2019, 07:11 (Ref:3924199)   #26
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not surprised (if true), they don't return much to the big fat wallets of Supercars and that is what it is ALL about
Old 26 Aug 2019, 08:03 (Ref:3924201)   #27
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they dump QR, it'll theoretically help the crowds at Townsville and Surfers.
Old 26 Aug 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3924213)   #28
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow. I was at The Bend on the weekend with the same group of blokes who have been making an annual trip to a Supercars event for 17 years.

Next year they want to go to State of Origin in Adelaide instead.

After freezing in the wind and misty rain out at Turn 6 yesterday for a pretty dull affair, I can't say I blame them.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 26 Aug 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3924214)   #29
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
If they dump QR, it'll theoretically help the crowds at Townsville and Surfers.

And QLD will be left with street circuit events only.
Old 26 Aug 2019, 20:57 (Ref:3924272)   #30
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Winton hardly turns a profit from the Supercars event, so financially it will be no lost, but the 'prestige' of hosting a Supercars round brings them business, people want to race on the same track the Supercars race on, once that is lost, well . . . . . . . . (hello Calder)
Old 28 Aug 2019, 00:22 (Ref:3924433)   #31
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
So the calendar is now official - no PI & no QR. QR removal something of a surprise as the Qld Govt has always linked the QR event with its support of the GC600 and Townsville. Clearly that view has changed.

Speedcafe story

Supercars release
Old 28 Aug 2019, 01:37 (Ref:3924437)   #32
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More 200km races / longer races = good.

More fuel drop races = bad. A rule than directly engineers poor on track racing. It needs to go, badly.
Old 28 Aug 2019, 07:18 (Ref:3924453)   #33
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know it's not overly popular, and hasn't produced overly spectacular racing, but anytime a track as good as Phillip Island isn't being used, when some others are, seems wasteful IMHO.
Old 28 Aug 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3924469)   #34
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Phillip Island & Winton Out?

Low attendance at each venue... but then that would knock out Eastern Creek too if they were serious

Losing rounds at permanent tracks will cause apoplexy for a few people....
Shades of days past, & direct from the Cochrane play book .... fewer races than venues .....
Old 28 Aug 2019, 09:07 (Ref:3924470)   #35
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't take long for the local business community in Surfers to come out with strong objections to this idea:

The Vodafone Gold Coast 600 could be revamped by holding racing under lights on the glitter strip for the first time.

The supposed payback to business in the glitter-strip is the extra spending on food, entertainment etc in the Surfers/Main beach area by the race crowd after the event. If they are still going to be at the track they won't be spending.

And does the night schedule decrease the family friendly nature of the event that VSCA has been pushing in recent years?
Old 28 Aug 2019, 21:05 (Ref:3924552)   #36
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Shades of days past, & direct from the Cochrane play book .... fewer races than venues .....
it is all about Supercars digging into the taxpayers back pocket to pay for their dream
Old 28 Aug 2019, 21:07 (Ref:3924553)   #37
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Interestingly over the years the track owners/managers that have not tolerated (V8)Supercars **** are:
* Phillip Island (Lindsay Fox)
* Queensland Raceway (John Tetley)
and if it happens
* Winton Motor Raceway (the only event/track that still 'promotes' their own event)

See the pattern here - some could call it bullying, some could call it financial survival, some could call it greed, but rest assured it has NOTHING to do with you and I (the fans)
Old 29 Aug 2019, 01:09 (Ref:3924572)   #38
B!tchie Renault
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
B!tchie Renault should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmmmm Interesting. The date for the 2020 Townsville 400 has the Friday of the event the same as the last day of the School Term. I think the students at the Townsville State High School may get some additional holidays.
Old 29 Aug 2019, 03:19 (Ref:3924583)   #39
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I know it's not overly popular, and hasn't produced overly spectacular racing, but anytime a track as good as Phillip Island isn't being used, when some others are, seems wasteful IMHO.
It’s pretty popular with the drivers isn’t it?
It’s always referred to as a” true driver’s circuit ”
Shame to see one of Austalia’s best circuits lose the#1 category
Old 29 Aug 2019, 12:14 (Ref:3924638)   #40
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
More 200km races / longer races = good.

More fuel drop races = bad. A rule than directly engineers poor on track racing. It needs to go, badly.
If there is no Altima on the grid in 2020, will the fuel drop rule be removed?

Gold Coast under lights... jumping the shark?
Old 29 Aug 2019, 20:36 (Ref:3924741)   #41
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muznik View Post
It’s pretty popular with the drivers isn’t it?
It’s always referred to as a” true driver’s circuit ”
Shame to see one of Austalia’s best circuits lose the#1 category
this is all about the relationship between Supercars and the Fox Family

and the lack of income to Supercars because punters just don't go there anymore

To summarise:
* Lot of outgoing (rent to Foxes)
* Lack of income (money from punters and merchandise sellers)
* equals a loss to Supercars

and just to clarify - it is OK for Winton to run at a loss running a Supercars event but it is not OK for Supercars to run at a loss running at PI - ****ing hypocrites
Old 31 Aug 2019, 04:29 (Ref:3924925)   #42
cavvy
Veteran

NO footy in Melbourne on one weekend

No AFL footy in Melbourne this weekend & it was free of footy last year, will be next year.
I remember the big crowds at Sandown this time of year.

WHY oh WHY doesnt motorsport grab the free air this weekend - is anyone thinking out there in Supercar land?

Its hard to get free air in an AFL dominated landscape.
Old 31 Aug 2019, 04:32 (Ref:3924926)   #43
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
this is all about the relationship between Supercars and the Fox Family

and the lack of income to Supercars because punters just don't go there anymore

To summarise:
* Lot of outgoing (rent to Foxes)
* Lack of income (money from punters and merchandise sellers)
* equals a loss to Supercars

and just to clarify - it is OK for Winton to run at a loss running a Supercars event but it is not OK for Supercars to run at a loss running at PI - ****ing hypocrites
The Fox family are running a business.
Old 31 Aug 2019, 04:57 (Ref:3924927)   #44
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
it is all about Supercars digging into the taxpayers back pocket to pay for their dream
aka Coch0s play book & it works, its not about favourites, personal relationships, not even the fans, its the bottom line cos losing money is a sure fire fail.
Old 31 Aug 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3924937)   #45
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
The Fox family are running a business.
never disputed that - in fact that was my point. I am not sure what your point is though

Quote:
aka Coch0s play book & it works, its not about favourites, personal relationships, not even the fans, its the bottom line cos losing money is a sure fire fail.
exactly, so why are they making such dumb decisions around their business?
Old 2 Sep 2019, 22:55 (Ref:3925477)   #46
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
We know you have an axe to grind, but it is getting monotonous.

If a business makes a loss with a particular event that's the discretion of the management. I do it in my business if it suits the overall strategy or needs of the business, which might be bigger than a single thing which can run as a loss leader.

Jeff Grech's comments may inform the decision to continue running it, even if its loss making, in that he believes the Supercar event creates a halo effect that drives the demand for so many other bookings throughout the entire year, as people want to drive on the track that the main game drives on.

Also a decision by someone in an area like that may take into account the wider economic impact of accomodation and meal venues, like the recent kerfuffle where the council caused the cancellation of the Tyabb Air show because of a serial complainer, only to find the entire town is behind the event. Having attended and raced at Winton many times and having family that own businesses in Benalla, it isn't a stretch to say Winton could run an event with the broader community benefit in mind.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 19:55 (Ref:3925661)   #47
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Jeff Grech's comments may inform the decision to continue running it, even if its loss making, in that he believes the Supercar event creates a halo effect that drives the demand for so many other bookings throughout the entire year, as people want to drive on the track that the main game drives on.
you pick one quote of mine but miss the others where I have said exactly that - what exactly is your 'axe to grind'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Having attended and raced at Winton many times and having family that own businesses in Benalla, it isn't a stretch to say Winton could run an event with the broader community benefit in mind.
and they have done that many many times, and I have said that here in this thread and others. You might not realise that I sat on the Committee of BAC (the owners of Winton and Wakefield Park) for some time, I know a little more than you might think
Old 4 Sep 2019, 01:37 (Ref:3925683)   #48
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
you pick one quote of mine but miss the others where I have said exactly that - what exactly is your 'axe to grind'
Sorry, you repeatedly post the same kind of accusations, I do not.

Quote:
and they have done that many many times, and I have said that here in this thread and others. You might not realise that I sat on the Committee of BAC (the owners of Winton and Wakefield Park) for some time, I know a little more than you might think
So then you were on the board, and you made decisions to keep running an event, nobody was a hostage at BAC with Supercars holding a gun to their head to run an event "at a loss" (your quote). So why carry on like a pork chop about it over and over when there are valid reasons to run the event?

Nobody, anywhere is going to negotiate somebody UP on a deal. Someone offers you a deal, you take it.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 02:09 (Ref:3925686)   #49
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
what is your point?

You seem to be arguing with me about the same point?

If you back read I remember saying here somewhere that I was part of the voice that wanted the event to keep coming to Winton. I am not sure what your point is

My point is that Supercars don't give a flying rats clacker about me, you or the tracks, it is all about the bottom line. Decisions that make are purely financial and not necessarily for the betterment of the 'sport'

(BTW, it is a 'committee' not a 'board')
Old 4 Sep 2019, 08:51 (Ref:3925726)   #50
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Flicking through some old pics today and came across these two.
Eastern Creek 1999 vrs SMP 2018
I was thinking about all the trumpeting Supercars did about the size of the crowd at that night race when the hill in the background tells a different story....
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19