Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 17 Sep 2002, 05:41 (Ref:382111)   #1
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
William's pitstop

In the picture, what is the guy doing? The one that is behind the guy with the yellow suit. He seems to be holding a small hose or airline. It looked as if he's inserting something at where the engine is. Could it be compressed nitrogen gas used to close the valve?

The reason i'm curious is that, no other team seem to be doing this on their pitstops or are there?
Attached Thumbnails
willy pitstop.jpg  
Old 17 Sep 2002, 10:09 (Ref:382295)   #2
JGM
Racer

JGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that it is an 'air' line which is being used to pressurise the pneumatic valve gas reservoir. The pressure in this would be monitored by telemetry while the car is on the track and if it needed topping up this can be done at a pit stop.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:37 (Ref:382943)   #3
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
to me it looks like the black thing on his back is just the radio like all the rest have.
he is lent over the car cos he is holding the handle for the hose, so he can help to pull it off the car..
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:49 (Ref:382951)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought he was the guy that hold a board to stop the fuel leaking onto the exhausts, he also wipes it as the car leaves
Old 18 Sep 2002, 00:42 (Ref:382986)   #5
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by JGM
I think that it is an 'air' line which is being used to pressurise the pneumatic valve gas reservoir. The pressure in this would be monitored by telemetry while the car is on the track and if it needed topping up this can be done at a pit stop.
Exactly JGM! i just wanted to be sure as i've read a few months back about the Williams not using springs to close the valves, instead teams used pressurised nitrogen gas but different manufacturers have different innovations to how the seal would look like cause no matter how perfect you do it, still the gas would come out...the difference would be the amount.

Judging from seeing of quite often this season the Willams been topping up their reservoir....hmm seems like the BMW engine ain't that perfect isn't it?
Old 18 Sep 2002, 01:30 (Ref:383000)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
That's how you avoid Valve Bounce

Valve
Old 20 Sep 2002, 04:06 (Ref:384569)   #7
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Looked as if i'm right....taken from formula1.com of what Ralf had said after the German GP

"Finally I had an additional stop to top up the pressurised air for the pneumatic valve drive of the engine. Anyway, positions two and three are a good result for the team."
Old 20 Sep 2002, 04:28 (Ref:384576)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Where was this pic taken? Has to be either Brazil, Canada or France, and i don't remember Juan Pablo having any problems in his pit stops at either of these races.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 05:00 (Ref:384586)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
In Canada before Montoya blows the engine. Picture taken from Williams website...
Old 24 Sep 2002, 14:43 (Ref:387325)   #10
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't recall that happening ever since Peugeot tried to push the limits on their cars ... it's usually not a good sign.