Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jul 2009, 02:26 (Ref:2505820)   #1
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
richie17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Stig to drive at Bathurst!!!!

He is driving with Nathan Pretty in a Jack Daniel's Racing Commodore. link

Quote:
Some say he is the anonymous driver called "the Stig" on popular motoring show Top Gear. All we know is he's competing in this year's V8 Supercar endurance races.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 02:36 (Ref:2505821)   #2
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ohh so Ben Collins is driving at Bathurst. Some say he is no longer the Stig
Old 22 Jul 2009, 03:37 (Ref:2505828)   #3
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
He was the Stig but probably not recently, there is more then one person that could be called the Stig and chances are he's not the current one at the moment. I'll be interested to see how Ben Collins goes with Jack Daniels Racing.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 04:06 (Ref:2505834)   #4
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are actually 4 different Stigs, depending on what driving discipline and Stig availability there is.

I always thought that this was a myth until I met a close relative of the man who owns the Top Gear Test Track at Top Gear Live.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 04:20 (Ref:2505835)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
c'mon tell us, PM me?

lets hope old Stigo can go well. i would love to see him turn out in the all white gear, even just for 1 practice session.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 06:23 (Ref:2505853)   #6
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the Stig's ability to dress appropriately or not (remember Truck Stig with his right arm fully tanned, or African Stig complete with loin cloth) I would expect the Stig to turn up with corks on his crash helmet, and maybe a crocodile under his arm?

Old 22 Jul 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2505866)   #7
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
lets hope old Stigo can go well. i would love to see him turn out in the all white gear, even just for 1 practice session.
Ditto

Or as m1fcf suggested he should have a Aussie attire? Any suggestions on the dress or Aussie suggestion in the tradition of Some say......
Old 22 Jul 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2505997)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
turn up wearing thong's (the type that go on your feet) pair of footy shorts, an old flano shirt with a pack of Winny reds in the top pocket, VB in one hand helmet in the other and an akubra hat on. true Aussie Stig right there.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2506006)   #9
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
turn up wearing thong's (the type that go on your feet) pair of footy shorts, an old flano shirt with a pack of Winny reds in the top pocket, VB in one hand helmet in the other and an akubra hat on. true Aussie Stig right there.
Sounds more like Allan Grice - hang on, maybe he is the Stig?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 22 Jul 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2506212)   #10
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13 View Post
Sounds more like Allan Grice - hang on, maybe he is the Stig?
Gricey playing a mute? Impossible...
Old 22 Jul 2009, 20:59 (Ref:2506314)   #11
MatthewC
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Wales
MatthewC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds interesting, maybe we'll get to see if The Stig is really any good against proper race drivers, on a track he doesn't know as well as the Top Gear one!! I'll be watching (even if it isn't The Stig!)

Campaign to get Alfa Romeo back into the WTCC!
Old 23 Jul 2009, 03:13 (Ref:2506409)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they've missed a brilliant oppurtunity here. Instead of Ben Collins, what if they got the officials and marketing guys in on it and actually entered the Stig?

Put "the Stig" on the car window and on the entry list and get him to stay suited up, helmet on, whenever in public. It would be pretty cool i think and surely would attract a more interest in the race from the wider motoring/motorsport community.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 04:10 (Ref:2506418)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah that would have been cool , I remember the top gear guys did that for a 24hr race at Silverstone I think it was. They race a BMW and all 3 presenters raced and so did the stig as the stig , would be very cool to see

But either way I hope Ben does well , he has plenty of experience in high powered cars (In race car driver mode) so he should fit in well and I wish him all the best
Old 23 Jul 2009, 04:21 (Ref:2506421)   #14
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I think they've missed a brilliant oppurtunity here. Instead of Ben Collins, what if they got the officials and marketing guys in on it and actually entered the Stig?

Put "the Stig" on the car window and on the entry list and get him to stay suited up, helmet on, whenever in public. It would be pretty cool i think and surely would attract a more interest in the race from the wider motoring/motorsport community.
Great idea and I would like to see it but if Ben no longer works for the BBC and he is racing under Ben Collins then there is the problem with that, BBC & Top Gear own the Stig.

Spot on with your memory marcus
Old 23 Jul 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2506458)   #15
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NAC, all they'd have to do was have SBS gain a coups by having SBS sponsor the car for the enduro's and have THEIR stig run, AKA, Mr Collins on short term duties....

OR, does BBC have alot of say in the SBS production, thus allowing them to nix the idea....

I think a little lateral thinking could have produced a hugely fun thing for us all.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2506466)   #16
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to be pedantic but his name is Ben Collings
Old 23 Jul 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2506474)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Roden View Post
Sorry to be pedantic but his name is Ben Collings
Really? His own website begs to differ http://www.collinsautosport.com/

His Dad was loaded, big wheel at Hays distribution as I recall. Used to like watching him race though, he was super aggressive. Think he did those Prosport 3000 fake Group C cars.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 12:49 (Ref:2506593)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
There are actually 4 different Stigs, depending on what driving discipline and Stig availability there is.
And the rest. I know of at least 7 drivers who've done it, and there's probably more.

There's a new series of TG up here at the moment, and looking at the Stig in last week's programme I'm reasonably confident that Ben still has the main gig. Having said that, someone's bound to know for definite and prove me wrong.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2506784)   #19
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm suprised Mountianstar has had no comment here

Maybe it's because he is the Stig
Old 23 Jul 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2506845)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC View Post
I'm suprised Mountianstar has had no comment here

Maybe it's because he is the Stig
Maybe...