Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 18 Oct 2016, 20:04 (Ref:3681179)   #46
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Rubio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.sportmotores.com/portal/!...20055&id=46778

According to Autosport Japan, next year will be the last for WTCC which will be replaced by a new championship in 2018 with DTM/SuperGT regulations.

Just hope this will remain just a crazy rumour. These cars are not touringcars, they are GTs.
Old 18 Oct 2016, 20:35 (Ref:3681187)   #47
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio View Post
http://www.sportmotores.com/portal/!...20055&id=46778

According to Autosport Japan, next year will be the last for WTCC which will be replaced by a new championship in 2018 with DTM/SuperGT regulations.

Just hope this will remain just a crazy rumour. These cars are not touringcars, they are GTs.
On the flip side, the DTM and SuperGT have been threatening to join together at some point/somehow. Perhaps this is an extra incentive they need?
Old 18 Oct 2016, 21:47 (Ref:3681199)   #48
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't see this happening, the DTM has decided to postpone the new engines until 2019 and usually they stick with these kind of decisions. If anything, they'd delay it even further.
Maybe they could sort out the calendars between DTM and SuperGT for 2019 so that the manufacturers can cross-enter cars in some DTM and SuperGT events that count as a separate world championship.
Old 19 Oct 2016, 09:54 (Ref:3681318)   #49
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If dtm and super gt should switch into one single catefory wtcc could and should make the same with tcr.

At the moment wtcc barely survive so if justa one of actual manufacturer should leave then i guess it would be the end.
Old 19 Oct 2016, 17:09 (Ref:3681408)   #50
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
So many years of talking between DTM and SuperGT. I don't see it happen anymore.

And a full 10 round or so WTCC means the end of DTM and SuperGT.

So no I don't believe in it.
Old 19 Oct 2016, 21:36 (Ref:3681463)   #51
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
I also don't understand who would participate in this championship since manufacturers have their own programmes in DTM and Super GT. What the independents are going to do? What is the reason to enter cars which cost about 1 mln each in times when motorsport becmoes extremely expensive?

Too much questions and now it seems to be a crazy rumour. Again, hope it will never materialize
Old 20 Oct 2016, 11:31 (Ref:3681577)   #52
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Class 1 2019?
http://www.touringcartimes.com/2016/...hin-two-years/
Old 20 Oct 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3681582)   #53
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What will that be. Modern 1996 International Touring Car Championship?
Great cars, world best drivers and coverage and costs destroyed it.
Old 20 Oct 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3681588)   #54
pimmy
Racer

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is such a stupid idea, which I suppose makes it perfect for WTCC.

They've gone from S2000 cars which were reasonably priced, if unspectacular. Then 1.6T engines were introduced, which increased costs. Then TC1 cars came in, with another cost increase. And now they're looking at even more expensive cars!

These people don't have a clue what they're doing. DTM is looking at a 25% decrease in field size next year because MANUFACTURERS can't afford it, let alone privateers, and Super GT hasn't attracted an entry of 20 cars in its top class for God knows how long. And to top it off, these cars aren't even touring cars.

Although, given how long ago Class One was proposed and the fact that it still doesn't exist, I have my doubts as to whether this will actually happen. I hope it doesn't.
Old 20 Oct 2016, 19:41 (Ref:3681640)   #55
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree with pimmy.

WTCC with class 1 cars would also be the end of DTM, or does it makes sense for teams to enter those expensive cars in a national series if a world championship are using the same cars?

doesn't make sense for either the DTM or the WTCC.
Old 20 Oct 2016, 20:22 (Ref:3681642)   #56
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
"We expect TC1 to stay for at least 10 years" (c)

Well..

All can I say is that I'm sure that these news mean
a) There no more manufacturers interested in building TC1 cars = no new factory teams
b) Interest in the championship must be decreasing, and it seems that Eurosport (probably Discovery) is not satisfied with WTCC's performance, and want to do something radical

Ok, so this move has some benefits - such fast cars will always attract more global fans (like F1 lovers) than classic touring cars. It will probably atract more premium brands and significantly raise the level of the championship. After all, it's always going to be more attractive to watch BMW-Lexus battle rather than Honda-Lada one.

BUT. There are so many potential problems
a) These are not touring cars. Say goodbye to good racing and welcome DTM.
b) Cost. As pimmy said German manufacturers want to decrease costs. And global championship means more travelling costs, cars won't become cheaper.
c) Who is going to participate? Not a single privateer will afford spending so much money so it only depends on the manufacturers. And why should Marcedes-Audi-BMW leave DTM to participate in a world championship - do they have budget for that? It will work only if DTM and SuperGT are now working with FIA and Eurosport on this matter because such championship might mean death to DTM and SuperGT (or vice versa)
For example, 4 works cars from 6 manufacturers would work pretty fine. But it's not realistic
d) What is going to happen to current manufaturers? I just imagine how impressed is Volvo with these news. Lada will never build a Class 1 car, I think Volvo won't do it either.

All in all, all of sudden death of WTCC in the near future is becoming a reality.
Old 20 Oct 2016, 20:33 (Ref:3681645)   #57
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio View Post
"We expect TC1 to stay for at least 10 years" (c)

Well..

All can I say is that I'm sure that these news mean
a) There no more manufacturers interested in building TC1 cars = no new factory teams
b) Interest in the championship must be decreasing, and it seems that Eurosport (probably Discovery) is not satisfied with WTCC's performance, and want to do something radical

Ok, so this move has some benefits - such fast cars will always attract more global fans (like F1 lovers) than classic touring cars. It will probably atract more premium brands and significantly raise the level of the championship. After all, it's always going to be more attractive to watch BMW-Lexus battle rather than Honda-Lada one.

BUT. There are so many potential problems
a) These are not touring cars. Say goodbye to good racing and welcome DTM.
b) Cost. As pimmy said German manufacturers want to decrease costs. And global championship means more travelling costs, cars won't become cheaper.
c) Who is going to participate? Not a single privateer will afford spending so much money so it only depends on the manufacturers. And why should Marcedes-Audi-BMW leave DTM to participate in a world championship - do they have budget for that? It will work only if DTM and SuperGT are now working with FIA and Eurosport on this matter because such championship might mean death to DTM and SuperGT (or vice versa)
For example, 4 works cars from 6 manufacturers would work pretty fine. But it's not realistic
d) What is going to happen to current manufaturers? I just imagine how impressed is Volvo with these news. Lada will never build a Class 1 car, I think Volvo won't do it either.

All in all, all of sudden death of WTCC in the near future is becoming a reality.
I'd argue that this has been on the cards for a short while. Pride comes before a fall, and I fear that a refusal to embrace TCR (with some minor mods perhaps) could be forcing the WTCC into this corner.
Old 20 Oct 2016, 22:21 (Ref:3681656)   #58
Tarzaan
Racer

Hungary
Tarzaan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a better world WTCC cars should looks like the Superbikes of the the touring car racing.

In the superbike wm you can enter as a private team even with a privately upgraded superstock bike.

In a WTCC teams also should enter with an upgraded TCR cars or privately build cars.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 10:35 (Ref:3681743)   #59
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I would like Class One cars in WTCC, it'll be very unrealistic to implement it.

After all, DTM shoved their rulebook to Super GT in the first place, and now WTCC wants to adopt it? I don't think it'll happen, much like how GT500 cars couldn't race in Le Mans.
Old 21 Oct 2016, 13:29 (Ref:3681762)   #60
GM10
Veteran

Italy
Mantua
GM10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO it would be better if FIA upgrades TCN-1 cars to WTCC. NGTC cars have low cost and could be developed as manufacturers, with a great number of makes that can participate.

Class One is the death of world touring cars. Lotti has kicked FIA's ass.