Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2017, 05:31 (Ref:3719278)   #26
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Bottas vs Hamilton is a no contest. Sorry.

Bottas will not be able to keep Hamilton in check. I like Valterri, but he is going to be the next 'best number two driver'. Joining the likes of Rosberg, Webber, Barrichello, Massa, Irvine, etc.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 06:01 (Ref:3719280)   #27
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

Bottas will not be able to keep Hamilton in check. I like Valterri, but he is going to be the next 'best number two driver'. Joining the likes of Rosberg, Webber, Barrichello, Massa, Irvine, etc.
Ah yes, gotta love those number two drivers.

The very same Rosberg that won a title last year.
The very same Massa that took care of a title-winning team mate and was a Timo Glock tyre choice away from a title.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3719297)   #28
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

lol, Rosberg. Have we already forgotten what he did since he retired?
Old 17 Mar 2017, 09:11 (Ref:3719310)   #29
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
think we need to remember that the difference between a number 1 and very good number 2 driver is miniscule in f1...when the number 2 driver is given a chance to race and not just play the supporting roll.

Rosberg was fast, but no match for Hamilton on his best days...but he was free to race and picked up the points when Hamilton had off days and mechanical faliures....and yes there were some races where rosberg was just that bit better.

I do wonder what schumachers number 2 drivers could have done given the chance...and how good he was compared to them given equal treatment.

I expect Bottas to challenge Hamilton, how much he can match lewis when he has his good days or mentally when the mind games start only time will tell.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3719383)   #30
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
think we need to remember that the difference between a number 1 and very good number 2 driver is miniscule in f1...when the number 2 driver is given a chance to race and not just play the supporting roll.

Rosberg was fast, but no match for Hamilton on his best days...but he was free to race and picked up the points when Hamilton had off days and mechanical faliures....and yes there were some races where rosberg was just that bit better.

I do wonder what schumachers number 2 drivers could have done given the chance...and how good he was compared to them given equal treatment.

I expect Bottas to challenge Hamilton, how much he can match lewis when he has his good days or mentally when the mind games start only time will tell.
Agree on Rosberg, he took advantage of Hamilton's mistakes/misfortunes to get wins

As for Schum'is teammates, I have a feeling Rubens could have done it given the chance, he already proved more than a match on several occasions
Old 17 Mar 2017, 15:35 (Ref:3719401)   #31
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Schumacher was more than a match for all his team-mates, but Irvine and Barrichello were very, very good - both would have been deserving champions if the cards had fallen differently. But neither had the ability to beat Schuey over the balance of a season.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 03:35 (Ref:3719525)   #32
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Did you know Hamilton was testing the clutch for the team that Nico preferred last year? Supposedly it gave more "consistent starts" according to Mercedes. That's why his starts were so good vs Lewis's average. It also doesn't hurt Nico to have his teammate suffer the only Mercedes engine failures (4 I think it was) on the grid. And that's on top of getting Lewis's mechanics that were with him since 2013 I'm guessing those guys won't be on Bottas's side and will switch back to Hamilton
Old 18 Mar 2017, 08:06 (Ref:3719545)   #33
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
lol, Rosberg. Have we already forgotten what he did since he retired?
Not at all. No one has forgotten that the only reason Nico Rosberg won the title is because his team mates engine failures. Let's face it, if it wasn't for the engine failures, Rosberg would never have been WDC. Simples.

NR's being trying (unsuccessfully) to beat LH since their karting days. And when he finally did, he put his tail between his legs and ran away because he knew he had lucked into the title, and couldn't beat LH in a fair fight. Didn't have the to defend, or to give LH, or anyone else the chance to win the title off him. A true act of a scared little number 2 driver.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 08:07 (Ref:3719546)   #34
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Schumacher was more than a match for all his team-mates, but Irvine and Barrichello were very, very good - both would have been deserving champions if the cards had fallen differently. But neither had the ability to beat Schuey over the balance of a season.
Always my overriding thought with schumis team mates is 'were they given the chance'....Schumacher was always given the newest parts, never told to move over etc. Don't get me wrong you earn the right to have that but it would have been interesting to see what results would have been it if was all 'fair'
Old 18 Mar 2017, 08:09 (Ref:3719547)   #35
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I'm guessing those guys won't be on Bottas's side and will switch back to Hamilton
Hamilton has requested his team of mechanics from 2016 remain with him for 2017. If this happens or not will be up to the team.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 08:15 (Ref:3719548)   #36
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Schumacher was more than a match for all his team-mates.
He sure was. Having the cars engineered 100% around him, specially built tyres that suited his driving style and tyres no other competitor got, special engine modes that his team mates did not have, and the entire team behind him would make sure he was more than a match for his team mates.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3719578)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, Schumacher would never have allowed himself to have the unreliability that Hamilton had last season
Old 18 Mar 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3719641)   #38
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
He sure was. Having the cars engineered 100% around him, specially built tyres that suited his driving style and tyres no other competitor got, special engine modes that his team mates did not have, and the entire team behind him would make sure he was more than a match for his team mates.
He'd have beaten them under any circumstances.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3719686)   #39
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He'd have beaten them under any circumstances.
agreed.

no disrespect to Barri or Irvine, but TGF brought a level of dedication, preparation, and fitness to his craft that his Ferrari team mates could not match...whatever advantages that he may have received was the result of hard work and that cant be discounted imo.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3719688)   #40
S griffin
Veteran

I'd say Barrichello could of, I think his best season was 2003, where he was unlucky not to get more than two wins that season
Old 18 Mar 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3719703)   #41
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Barrichello was a silky smooth driver and very quick but he never had Schuey's consistency. Very few did. The bald truth is that Schumacher was one of the top five drivers ever, I think, and would have handsomely beaten any team mate.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 11:14 (Ref:3719982)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

You mean like he beat Rosberg?
Old 19 Mar 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3719991)   #43
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wasn't it pointed out that Lewis had better luck a couple of years back, when Rosberg suffered poor reliability?

Rosberg won the title and had equal status at Mercedes. You can't compare that to Irvine or Barrichello.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3719993)   #44
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Did you know Hamilton was testing the clutch for the team that Nico preferred last year? Supposedly it gave more "consistent starts" according to Mercedes. That's why his starts were so good vs Lewis's average. It also doesn't hurt Nico to have his teammate suffer the only Mercedes engine failures (4 I think it was) on the grid. And that's on top of getting Lewis's mechanics that were with him since 2013 I'm guessing those guys won't be on Bottas's side and will switch back to Hamilton
So you're implying the good clutch was not available to Hamilton just to be mean? Maybe Rosberg just made the better choice in that regard. Remember, Mercedes may run on German money but it's still a mostly british team. I wouldn't expect much internal favouritism for Rosberg who is really a Monegasque anyway.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 14:47 (Ref:3720007)   #45
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
And half-Finnish.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 21:44 (Ref:3720062)   #46
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
And half-Finnish.

No, he said he was definitely retired!
Old 19 Mar 2017, 22:36 (Ref:3720071)   #47
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Murray Walker is quoted in the funny papers as suggesting Mr Bottas will be the 2017 WDC...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Mar 2017, 23:15 (Ref:3720077)   #48
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
It's not impossible.
Old 26 Mar 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3721657)   #49
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, it was a strong and sort of steady "pick-up-some-points" performance from Bottas today. I don't think he really had the speed to match Lewis this weekend - even if he closed him down a bit towards the end, I think Lewis was still faster.
Old 26 Mar 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3721659)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Still, for his first outing in the Merc, he did pretty well, I thought. I'm not writing him off in the Merc battle.