Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 May 2018, 11:34 (Ref:3825426)   #176
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm not so sure of that - in 2012 they made boost adjustments on a model-by-model basis

Sam Tordoff said this in 2013, at a time when there was a different boost figure between cars running the Swindon Engine:
'Boost levels are determined from a rolling average of the two previous rounds and apply to models rather than to a single team'.

For the 2015 season, when they reviewed the boost adjustment process - a base was set for each car/engine type. This assessed the car and engine in combination, not as independent units.

The resultant regulation from 2015 was worded as:
'1.11.2.a. The throttle body size and/or restrictor and/or the maximum permitted rpm and/or maximum permitted turbo boost of individual cars may be subject to review and validation after round 9 of the Championship and/or subsequently at any further time during the Championship by the
Administrator, who may implement a variation by way of a Bulletin issued by the Co-ordinator giving a minimum of 24 hours notice'
Which they then did during that season, and boost adjustments were again made on a car-by-car basis, regardless of engine type fitted.

I also wouldn't take the fact that a regulation has not been used in the past, as a reason why it won't be used in the future. Until 2017, they had never used a rule that applied a CoG adjustment (AFAIK) - but the performance of one car model made them consider that as an option.
the old adjustment process you refer to was done on a lap time calculation. they ditched that. it’s now done purely on an engine performance basis and disregards the lap times. the regulations now state there will be no race by race boost calculation.
Old 29 May 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3825427)   #177
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah the old system was very flawed, so they ditched it. I prefer seeing an equivency formula, it's ridiculous how people always focus on the engine. I think they should let it be.
Old 29 May 2018, 12:32 (Ref:3825437)   #178
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
the old adjustment process you refer to was done on a lap time calculation. they ditched that. it’s now done purely on an engine performance basis and disregards the lap times. the regulations now state there will be no race by race boost calculation.
Yes - the race by race basis was ditched, but they still carry out adjustments on a car/engine combination, not engine in isolation.

If you check my post back, you will see that I quoted the 2015 regulations, which was after the rolling adjustment system was dropped, and included a mid-season adjustment after R9. This was by car, not by engine. And they still carry this through to 2018, just without a specific point in the season when/if they will make a review.

If the Astra is seen to be 'too good', then the organisers can make a car/engine adjustment.

Since the introduction of the NGTC engine regulations, each engine type is given a 'base' boost level, which is then subject to car specific adjustments based on its performance once fitted - so different teams on the grid all running TOCA engines have differing boost levels.
Old 29 May 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3825439)   #179
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’m glad they ditched that, there is no need for it, cars have different strengths. I think 2015 showed it didn’t work and it never really did. Especially with the variety of cars. Now I question if they need to look into whether it’s needed as the racing is fine. I highly doubt the Vauxhall will be too good, it’s got challengers like the Toyota
Old 29 May 2018, 14:03 (Ref:3825457)   #180
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
That you know about...

Do you really think a VW CC, an Audi A4 and a Honda Civic all with the same engines would lap so closely??

Sorry if that spoils your romance.
Getting fed-up about your constant posting about race "fixing" et al. Even when someone posts about rules, you keep going with the same unproven agenda, with nothing real to back it up. It's seemingly all you do, not just in this thread, but in others too.

Please - it would be nice to explain your beef with sensible reasonings. Ta.
Old 29 May 2018, 14:04 (Ref:3825458)   #181
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thankfully
Old 29 May 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3825482)   #182
S griffin
Veteran

We should just enjoy the racing
Old 31 May 2018, 07:54 (Ref:3825815)   #183
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Getting fed-up about your constant posting about race "fixing" et al. Even when someone posts about rules, you keep going with the same unproven agenda, with nothing real to back it up. It's seemingly all you do, not just in this thread, but in others too.

Please - it would be nice to explain your beef with sensible reasonings. Ta.
Totally agree with this.

As S Griffin says, the rest of us can watch the racing in an exciting year with close battles, crazy skills and fresh blood at the sharp end.
Old 31 May 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3825817)   #184
S griffin
Veteran

Yes, let's do just that. We are going to get some close battling, some of the best drivers and fresh new young talent in this year's BTCC
Old 31 May 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3825830)   #185
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That you know about...

Do you really think a VW CC, an Audi A4 and a Honda Civic all with the same engines would lap so closely??

Sorry if that spoils your romance.
Well given that the only real difference between them is the shape of the bodyshell and everything else is standard it's not really that much of a surprise.

Sorry if that spoils your conspiracy theory.
Old 31 May 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3825831)   #186
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Well given that the only real difference between them is the shape of the bodyshell and everything else is standard it's not really that much of a surprise.
Shape, length, height, drag coefficient, transmission, weight distribution etc. Yep, they’re almost identical cars.

Sorry, I forgot rule #1 of posting regards BTCC. I won’t bother anymore which will please some and disappoint some others...
Old 31 May 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3825832)   #187
S griffin
Veteran

I think it’s good to have a variety of cars, only the things that matter, the shape and the engines are different. I think some people read too much into this series
Old 31 May 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3825836)   #188
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry, I forgot rule #1 of posting regards BTCC. I won’t bother anymore which will please some and disappoint some others...
great.
dont let the door hit you on the a**e on the way out
Old 31 May 2018, 10:48 (Ref:3825837)   #189
S griffin
Veteran

Let’s leave it at that. Have some fun on the way
Old 31 May 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3825862)   #190
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, that wasn't what I was expecting at all. Let's keep it decent, shall we?

TBH the general discussion belongs in the season thread, anyway...
Old 31 May 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3825877)   #191
S griffin
Veteran

I think some comments are a bit unnecessary, not what this forum is about. Doesn’t matter what forum this is in
Old 2 Jun 2018, 10:37 (Ref:3826183)   #192
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Onwards and upwards... one week to go for some action at Oulton.

Do we see Sutton upfront or are BMRs performance problems real big? I'm hoping he's at the pointy end, we need someone to make Turks work for his silverware!
Old 2 Jun 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3826197)   #193
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think Subaru will be closer to the front, by how much is anyone’s guess.

My money is on the Astras for a front row lockout.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3826290)   #194
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
to make Turks work for his silverware!
you wanna spare his family having to buy one of the BMW once they get replaced?
Old 7 Jun 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3827345)   #195
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must of missed it in the ITV coverage but who won the Jack Sears trophy at Thruxton? Was it Chris Smiley?
Old 7 Jun 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3827354)   #196
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Must of missed it in the ITV coverage but who won the Jack Sears trophy at Thruxton? Was it Chris Smiley?
Yep, it was Smiley. Probably only mentioned, if at all, right at the very end because I missed it too
Old 7 Jun 2018, 10:51 (Ref:3827366)   #197
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Yep, it was Smiley. Probably only mentioned, if at all, right at the very end because I missed it too
Thanks, yeah I thought I missed it but maybe they didn’t say or it was right at the end! Glad from what I worked it out as was right, nice reward for him & BTC Norlin for their efforts. Normally BTCC.net run an article on JS winner but not seen one yet! 👍🏻
Old 8 Jun 2018, 06:14 (Ref:3827585)   #198
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Thanks, yeah I thought I missed it but maybe they didn’t say or it was right at the end! Glad from what I worked it out as was right, nice reward for him & BTC Norlin for their efforts. Normally BTCC.net run an article on JS winner but not seen one yet! 👍🏻
In the Gallery on BTCC.net are no pictures from the raceday, too
Old 8 Jun 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3827664)   #199
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
In the Gallery on BTCC.net are no pictures from the raceday, too
what? there’s six pages of them: http://www.btcc.net/gallery/albums/2018/2018-–-Thruxton
Old 8 Jun 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3827678)   #200
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
All from the saturday.