Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 May 2021, 09:25 (Ref:4051417)   #51
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I thought the Capri was a model of Bill Cox's (?) car.
Anorak Fact: Registration number was WRC 2
Old 13 May 2021, 09:33 (Ref:4051418)   #52
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Anorak Fact: Registration number was WRC 2
More anorak - it was gold at one time too. It always looked as the body panels were hanging on for dear life!
Old 13 May 2021, 11:27 (Ref:4051448)   #53
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
Lancsbreaker, your inline chassis on the left, next to the Cortina shell, was made by a company called RIKO. My brother and I had several. They came as kits with a variety of clear lexan shells.

Oh - no name marked on that chassis - which is adjustable for length to suit different shells, I guess. The other one (with the skew drive motor) is stamped with the name "Wonder", but is a fixed length. Can't remember, well over 50 years on, where I got them from - local model shop, I guess, but would have taken a good few weeks pocket money to save up for them, I'm sure
Old 13 May 2021, 15:15 (Ref:4051487)   #54
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
More anorak - it was gold at one time too. It always looked as the body panels were hanging on for dear life!
Yes John, it was gold the first time I saw it which was at Mallory Park when I'd pestered my Dad and he gave in and took me to a race meeting. As soon as I saw the car in the paddock I proudly told him that it was Bill Cox's car. He asked how I knew and I told him that I recognised the registration number because I'd seen a picture of in in Hot Car Magazine a couple of weeks ago!
Sadly this is why (possibly) 55 years later I still know the registration number. I'm sure that my life would have turned out differently if I'd have been able to retain far more useful information for anywhere near as long!
Old 13 May 2021, 15:31 (Ref:4051491)   #55
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes John, it was gold the first time I saw it which was at Mallory Park when I'd pestered my Dad and he gave in and took me to a race meeting. As soon as I saw the car in the paddock I proudly told him that it was Bill Cox's car. He asked how I knew and I told him that I recognised the registration number because I'd seen a picture of in in Hot Car Magazine a couple of weeks ago!
Sadly this is why (possibly) 55 years later I still know the registration number. I'm sure that my life would have turned out differently if I'd have been able to retain far more useful information for anywhere near as long!
I have a good memory for car numbers - I can remember all the numbers of cars I have owned over the last 50 years. Also quite a lot of others, family members, friends etc, yet my memory usually failed me when it came to exams at school! Funny that...
Old 13 May 2021, 15:37 (Ref:4051493)   #56
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I still remember the registration of the 4 door Flavia Mum had, was 60 ML 75. Car and number easy to spot in the trafic when I was pedaling like heck back home with absolutely no respect for the trafic lights and pedestrians…
Old 13 May 2021, 15:56 (Ref:4051500)   #57
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I still remember the registration of the 4 door Flavia Mum had, was 60 ML 75. Car and number easy to spot in the trafic when I was pedaling like heck back home with absolutely no respect for the trafic lights and pedestrians…
I used to have an Alfa 155 with the registration L47 ULU. Whilst waiting for a ferry one day, a man stood staring at it for a while then came over & spoke; he said "Do you know you can make a word out of that? It's Zulu!

I much preferred the call-sign air traffic controllers gave to it when my late wife worked at Heathrow - they knew it as 'L for Lulu'! That one stuck all the time we had the car.
Old 14 May 2021, 15:36 (Ref:4051677)   #58
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I think Lulu is a nice nickname but if you refer to the alphabet used by OTAN, L is for Lima and Z is for Zulu. For a well known Alfa, it gives Tango Zulu for instance. Sorry, I digress…
Old 14 May 2021, 20:23 (Ref:4051712)   #59
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My Sprinter is registered ZLU. Know to no-one as Zulu, just "that bloody van"

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 15 May 2021, 09:49 (Ref:4051759)   #60
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I raced against Bill Cox's Capri quite a few times in the early 70s in Special/Super Saloons. It had a 7.6 litre Chevvy engine and was fast in a straight line but not so good on the corners. Latterly it was painted red and sponsored by Red Rovers. I think it's mentioned several times in the Special Saloons threads here on TenTenths.
Viv, I think your timescale of 55 years is a bit out as the Capri was only introduced in 1968 (or so) and I didn't see Bill Cox's car around until the 70s. He could have had that reg. no. on another car, of course.

Like you, my memory is far better for things I have an interest in. The car I learnt to drive in (in 1961) was a 100E Ford Anglia OWU 825 but I can't remember what my wife asked me to do yesterday!
Old 15 May 2021, 10:42 (Ref:4051763)   #61
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I raced against Bill Cox's Capri quite a few times in the early 70s in Special/Super Saloons. It had a 7.6 litre Chevvy engine and was fast in a straight line but not so good on the corners. Latterly it was painted red and sponsored by Red Rovers. I think it's mentioned several times in the Special Saloons threads here on TenTenths.
Viv, I think your timescale of 55 years is a bit out as the Capri was only introduced in 1968 (or so) and I didn't see Bill Cox's car around until the 70s. He could have had that reg. no. on another car, of course.

Like you, my memory is far better for things I have an interest in. The car I learnt to drive in (in 1961) was a 100E Ford Anglia OWU 825 but I can't remember what my wife asked me to do yesterday!
OK, thanks for that. I'll amend that to 50-55 years ago then as originally I thought I would have been about 10 years old, but I suppose I could have been as old as 15 (I still would have needed Dad to drive me there!)
I think it was the same meeting where Dad told me to go an ask a guy sitting in his road car to autograph my programme. At the time I didn't know who John Surtees was (I think it must have been an F500 meeting with Special Saloons as a support).
Old 15 May 2021, 10:43 (Ref:4051764)   #62
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post

What, she hasn't reminded you to do it again this morning?
Old 15 May 2021, 18:40 (Ref:4051825)   #63
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
What, she hasn't reminded you to do it again this morning?
Fear not, there's always tomorrow......
Old 20 May 2021, 09:52 (Ref:4052364)   #64
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Okay, the entries for the 2021 Diecast Grand \prix de hampshire are starting to come in. Confirmed so far are the following:

Lotus 77
Benneton B194
Twinings Tea delivery van
Ferrari 250TR
Maserati 250F
Ferrari F40
MG BGT
Jaguar XJR9
McLaren 675LT
Bugatti T35

With no pit stops, the F40 will have to look after its tyres, although the carpet surface may help out here and the Jaguar will have to be mindful of fuel economy. The Maserati and the Ferrari being much larger will have a slight grip advantage, but will suffer at the hairpins and possible going under the footstool too. The Lotus and the Benneton, both still being crated, will have a severe aero disadvantage whilst the delivery van may be hampered by the need for frequent drop offs.

More entries will be announced as the great bedroom clearout continues.
Old 20 May 2021, 15:21 (Ref:4052412)   #65
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Love it....... Just need an Outspan Orange in there and it would be perfect!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&ur...AAAAAdAAAAABAL
Old 20 May 2021, 16:59 (Ref:4052423)   #66
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
We should build a Talbot Lago by Dinky team! Brits and French together. Just one thing, how do you call the "driver"? Pusher or pilote…
I think Bauble could add a Gordini on the grid.
Old 20 May 2021, 23:44 (Ref:4052466)   #67
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And another entrant, from the other side of the house:

Jaguar C type
Jaguar XK120
Porsche 911
Bentley Continental GT3
Chevrolet El Camino
Morgan +8
Police Paddy Wagon
Ferrari 250 GTO

With only painted wheels and tyres, the C Type is no doubt going to be very slow, with a wonky front left, the 250 GTO is unlikely to be a front runner, the 911could be hampered by the length of the mains lead and whilst the El Camino and Bentley are still both in their blister packs, it won't affect the Bentley's aerodynamics. The Paddy Wagon, although unfavoured, could use the Blues and Twos to make its way through the field and as for the Morgan....it's a Morgan. All of these entries are further hampered by a dodgy knee on the entrant, so will probably only feature in fits and starts as he tries to move.
Old 21 May 2021, 06:34 (Ref:4052485)   #68
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Team Bauble is proud to announce;

158 Alfa Romeo.*
Ferrari 500 1952 *
Ferrari 4.5 litre unblown Grand Prix Car *
Jaguar C Type ex Mille Miglia entrant.^
Matchbox 250F Maserati *

Additional entries may be Ex Shawe-Taylor B/C ERA (Home made wooden model)
Vaguely ERA Delage home made, wooden model

These require period Dinky Toy wheels and tyres.

* These cars in display cases 1/43rd Scale (?) may be happy to find a new home as there is no one in my family who would care to have them, and at almost 84, that time may not be too far away..
Old 21 May 2021, 07:34 (Ref:4052494)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hilarious posts guys!!!

I might enter any of the following as it's clearly Formula Libre!!

MB Mini Ha-ha
MB Fandango
Myriad Corgi Ford Capris (they would be relaying!)
HW Porsche 962
Majorette Shadow or Ferrari 312 (if Jean Alesi hasn't pranged it)
Old 21 May 2021, 09:18 (Ref:4052501)   #70
Mike_Powell
Rookie

With more and more entries coming in, it's looking like the 2021 Hampshire Diecast Carpet Grand Prix du Formula Libre is going to be a doozy.

The track layout has yet to be finalised but will encompass favourite parts of race tracks, such as the Craner Curves (DP), Church (complete with bump)(T), the Woodcote chicane(S), Sunny (C) and Ashes (GD) - any suggestions for additions will be welcomed and incorporated.

There will be 3 viewing areas, the front window, the french doors and the front door whilst the staircase will probably act as the assembly area.

The date will be the middle of July, so there is still plenty of time for entries. Track conditions will be dry with plenty of grip although cat fur may cause a few slippery patches. Of course, the cats themselves may become either mobile chicanes or the cause of accidents, only time will tell.
Old 21 May 2021, 09:22 (Ref:4052502)   #71
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Well, if cats are involved I've two Yorkies here ready for marshalling! Could you add Eau Rouge please? Thanks!
Old 21 May 2021, 09:26 (Ref:4052503)   #72
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Powell View Post
There will be 3 viewing areas, the front window, the french doors and the front door whilst the staircase will probably act as the assembly area.

Surely must include the original Norwich Straight plus hairpin at the end of it, and if foreign bits are allowed, it must have an Eau Rouge with incline if possible I would have thought.

That bloomin' bloke from across the English Channel beat me to it as I was typing!
Old 21 May 2021, 12:17 (Ref:4052523)   #73
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Hilarious posts guys!!!

I might enter any of the following as it's clearly Formula Libre!!

MB Mini Ha-ha
MB Fandango
Myriad Corgi Ford Capris (they would be relaying!)
HW Porsche 962
Majorette Shadow or Ferrari 312 (if Jean Alesi hasn't pranged it)
As I only have three on my desk in front of me, my entry is quite slim...

Jaguar D Type #3 LM 1957
Lotus 49 #5
Supercar (Gerry Anderson)
Old 21 May 2021, 16:22 (Ref:4052553)   #74
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I have on the shelf Abarth 1000 OTR, Chaparral in its box and a very special Lola DFV in the box too, all being in various scales, mmm, ha, plus an Isetta BMW bought form the Eiffel Tower shop when my mother in law came in Paris! Have to make some search to find a Matchbox London Bus!!!
Wonder if the scrutinneers will consider the Isetta suppository in the bus a impériale as a whole making… an ambulance!

By the way, who are the scrutineers? All entrants must be compliant with fun and light-hearted-period-correct!
Old 21 May 2021, 18:27 (Ref:4052582)   #75
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
As the thread has been dragged back on topic after being derailed by all our slot-car reminiscencies ( ) I thought I'd better have a delve in the cupboard to see what I could add to the grid (Competition cars only). You "may" spot a bit of a theme:

Alfa Romeo 155 DTM V6 TI
Alfa Romeo 1300 GT Junior
Alfa Romeo 1600 Spider Duetto
Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Super
Team Hartwell Hillman Imp

All at 1:43, plus a slightly underpowered at 1:40 -

Jaguar E-type FHC

Bother - despite me rotating them in my laptop file I see I've got Australian Alfas, which might slow them down a little.....click on the image to see them right way up
Attached Thumbnails
Diecast Alfa 155 GT Junior.jpg   Diecast Alfa Spider and Giulia TI.jpg   Diecast Hartwell Imp.jpg  

Diecast E-type.jpg  

Last edited by Lancsbreaker; 21 May 2021 at 18:29. Reason: Photo silliness!