Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jun 2003, 13:54 (Ref:645959)   #1
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coulthard/Villeneuve - surely not long now.

Not a great weekend for two of the most criticised drivers in the business. It begs the question - will they hang on to their seats?

On the plus side, at least we saw JV in a bit of wheel to wheel with the Minardi's, on the bad side, ahem, where does one begin.

DC didn't cover himself in glory either. In fact, he was hanging in there in the race until he went off, but surely he is under major pressure now to hold on to his drive. Ron Dennis has said that they will not be looking outside their contracted drivers for the 2004 line up, so that points to Wurz being promoted.

As for JV, new rumours he is going to Williams, but I doubt it.

So what for these two superstars now>
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:04 (Ref:645972)   #2
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for DC I think it was unfortunate. Alonzo was having issues with his car and had to brake very early. DC was trying to get the run on him so its just one of those things. KR does look much better than him at the moment though.

JV, well thats another story. I think he should have stayed home this weekend. Nothing went right for him. He did not even get the dignity of finishing the race, whatever dignity there would have been in a 15th or 14th place.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:07 (Ref:645978)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I think if they were in the same equipment, Villenueve would be miles ahead of DC... I think Villeneuve must have set a record today for most times passing the Minardis...how many was it? 4?

Coulthard just screwed it up again...

I think there's still hope for Jacques if you can get him into a good car, but he hasn't got a long way. He was clearly trying way to hard this weekend and making mistakes. Even if BAR offered him another year I think he'd be wiser to retire. He's subjected himself to their cars for far too long. In some ways, I think it'd be better he drive for Minardi than BAR. He might finish more races...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:07 (Ref:645979)   #4
ferrari_mark
Rookie

ferrari_mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC was unlucky really, but JV was just very poor. He drove like an ameater.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:09 (Ref:645986)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sensible analysis, though I never would counted the rumours of JV to Williams at all. Frankly, Jacques isn't looking good. Bunsen is getting on with the job, not draping himself in glory, but looking businesslike. JV in comparison just looks desperate.

DC....what can I say, he makes it hard to remain a fan. Although I don't think that today's incident w/ Alonso was his fault-the Renault slowed dramaticly and then there was all that oil that Da Matta had just dropped.

Wurz? He deserves the shot, but against Kimi, I don't think he has the raw speed.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:11 (Ref:645994)   #6
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very bad weekend for Jacques (bad car + driver errors) ...Williams is no longer an option as BMW re-signed with Williams. They'll keep Montoya and RS. Toyota will keep both their drivers, Renault are saying the same for next year. Maclaren are keeping both drivers as well...therefore BAR becoming the only option left for JV (maybe Jaguar on the odd chance)

Let's hope for a better performance next week

Last edited by Coach44; 29 Jun 2003 at 14:12.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:15 (Ref:646002)   #7
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just look at the attitude of Villeneuves car. It looked like it was having an epileptic fit. I'm amazed he was able to keep it on the track as well as he did.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:30 (Ref:646032)   #8
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If that had been someone like Pizzonia in the BAR today there would have been an instant 'sacking by media'. JV was amateur. Embarassing, in fact.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 14:34 (Ref:646044)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
ITV have been sacking Villenuve for 2 years now... not much more they can do. I recall all the rotten hand he got by the British and European media back in 1996 and 1997 when he was at the front, and not much has changed.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:06 (Ref:646090)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure how Jacques fell behind the Minardis - off the line he did well whereas Justin especially looked slow. Anyway, he amde some reasonable moves, but blew it with the front wing. Even then, I'm not sure how he was so fsar back when Heidfeld moved up into the points. Considerign that JV has won twic eon this track, really the only 2 time she had a car that could've won, this lacklustre showign suggests that his days are numbered. That his car failed and Jenson's didn't means nothing this time - Jacques was soundly beaten all weekend.

As for DC, it matters little whether his retirememnt was his fault, because he'd been so far off the pace allw ekeend. Malaysia is still the only time Kimi has completed his qualifying lap and still ended up behind DC. Kimi strode away at the front until his engine let go (an eerie repeat of Mika's first pole at the Nurburgring), so the car had the pace, but DC couldn't even pass Alonso's struggling Rneualt, a car which wasn't on the pace even when fully working, and kept outbraking himself into the crucial corners. Frankly he was hopeless todaya dn got the result he deserved.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:24 (Ref:646124)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think JV has much longer in his F1 career, perhaps until the end of this season. He's had no end of problems this year and for all the rewards, it's probably not worth his hassle anyway. I think the hunger is still there, but his time has passed. The top teams are now looking to the next generation.

DC created his own problems again today by qualifying poorly and then getting stuck in traffic. And the accident today was also of his own doing. He completely misjudged Alonso's braking - who was CLEARLY having braking issues - and would not have made the corner even if he hadn't spun off.

Both DC and JV have been made to look surplus to team requirement by younger and hungrier team-mates so far this year and I doubt the situation will change before seasons end.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 16:06 (Ref:646180)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I suppose the consolation to Jacques, should his time be up is that he took advantage of the 2 years he had a good car, whereas DC hasn't been able to take advantage of the 10? years he's had a good car.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 16:31 (Ref:646202)   #13
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with f1manoz. A driver of DC's experience should be able to judge a situation like that with ALonso today a little better.

Villeneuve was a little more unlucky, seeing as the performance of the car wasn't there. But he made a catalog of mistakes over the weekend. Again something team bosses don't expect from such an experienced driver.

I thought Panis drove poorly too.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:04 (Ref:646972)   #14
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV was nothing short of embarrassing with his effort especially with his team mate in the points while DC although unlucky with the incident that ended his race should've been ahead of Alonso a long time before.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 13:35 (Ref:647206)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are several threads on this (and this covers two drivers):

Coulthard:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=40248

Villeneuve:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=40234

Perhaps these are best split?