Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jul 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2500755)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i know what you mean, when was the last time a car won bathurst by 4 laps, curse that close racing that we now have.

seriously when was the racing consistently better, if it ever was, it was a long time before TC took over. it hasnt been better in my life time
Old 13 Jul 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2500766)   #27
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thuffering thuckertash, if I had 30 minuteth with him, I'd need a wally golly guard.

Kenny Calendar eat yer heart out.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2500767)   #28
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
i know what you mean, when was the last time a car won bathurst by 4 laps, curse that close racing that we now have.
I think it was the last time we didnt have regular and planned safety car interventions. You can set your clock to the safety cars these days and there in lies the answer to your above question.

Personally I find cars that follow closely but dont overtake not that interesting and that is V8 Supercar for the last 9 years, despite how many times Crompton screams 'this is pressure motor racing'

If I had 30 mins with Mr Cochrane and would begin to try and make him understand that everytime he uses the word 'sport' he isnt soley referring to V8SA, before attempting to get him to understand that Australian motor racing didnt start at Sandown in 1996
Old 13 Jul 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2500815)   #29
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
what makes you think no 1 isnt happening woolley
Just about every other post on here! Riding roughshod over local governments, runnng things in a way detrimental to permanent circuits and to minor classes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Personally I find cars that follow closely but dont overtake not that interesting and that is V8 Supercar for the last 9 years,
Actually, with a few exceptions, that's motor racing these days - all classes. Motorsport has gradually evolved to lessen the chances of error. Tyres and set ups so that you need to drive within the car's capabilities to be fast, not exceed them as you used to, gearboxes so it's hard to miss gears and regulations that are so favourable to the leading car as to make it not worth attempting to make a pass. V8s are not an exception. Don't you wish someone would dare to be different?
Old 13 Jul 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2500830)   #30
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Personally I find cars that follow closely but dont overtake not that interesting and that is V8 Supercar for the last 9 years, despite how many times Crompton screams 'this is pressure motor racing'
Is'nt that F1? Did you stay up last night and watch that? Or is it to boring with Martin Brundle screaming 'this is pressure motor racing'

As woolley said thats motor racing these days. Yet in the lesser amateur categories theres lots of overtaking which many people tell us is where the real racing is.
Or is it contrived 'real' racing because the talent gaps between drivers is bigger than the Grand Canyon, skill to set up the car and the $$$'s spent on the cars.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 00:11 (Ref:2501251)   #31
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most important question...

I would ask Mr. Cochrane what he intends to do about the mean, nasty people on these threads that pick on him and his unfortunately hugely successful motor racing series... I am sure that the DRT'S of this world are keeping TC, Supercar team owners and all connected with the sport up at night, worried to death about what they think...

Also, because I care about all motorsport and types of tracks I would also ask TC if he would mind putting together a few pointers on "how to" for the nice boys and girls of the ARDC. Nothing technical, no big words, lots of pictures and maybe a few free tickets to the Sydney 500 to see how it’s done properly...
Old 14 Jul 2009, 06:21 (Ref:2501341)   #32
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I think it was the last time we didnt have regular and planned safety car interventions. You can set your clock to the safety cars these days and there in lies the answer to your above question.

If I had 30 mins with Mr Cochrane and would begin to try and make him understand that everytime he uses the word 'sport' he isnt soley referring to V8SA, before attempting to get him to understand that Australian motor racing didnt start at Sandown in 1996
you mean like in race one at darwin, just two events ago.

While I agree that safety cars occur more often than many years ago, there are a number of logical reasons for that. 1. they didnt have safety cars years ago and 2 our races are longer now. its isnt that many years since races went for 20 minutes and so cars didnt really have time to wear out and time did not allow the cars to spread out as much. Maybe what you want is short races, fortunately we have support categories for that

and as i keep saying, i watched passes for the lead on the weekend and passes for position both early in the middle and at the end of the races . Maybe you require passes every corner to make things interesting, but then maybe basketball is more your game, they seem to score every few seconds, its good for people with short attention spans, who cant cope with strategy and two drivers go flat out at each other for more than one lap.

Good question for tony though, i can imagine his answer. He doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Woolley you really shouldn't accept the opinions of a few people on a forum as being represntative. those people are the same people who complain about Townsville, listen to the 50-60,000 people who turned up each day on the weekend. they represent a truer represntation
Old 14 Jul 2009, 06:32 (Ref:2501342)   #33
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

seriously when was the racing consistently better, if it ever was, it was a long time before TC took over. it hasnt been better in my life time
You must be quite young then.

Having just spent some time recently transferring videos of the '91 and '92 ATCC to DVD I can say that while the racing might not have been as close in lap times there was more opportunity for overtaking. And teams weren't restricted by this compulsory pit stop nonsense.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2501362)   #34
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
now tell me chavez, how long did those races go for and how many were there on a weekend?

and yes i remember watching those races, (was it at midnight?)

and just buy the way how many drivers won races in those years?
Old 14 Jul 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2501437)   #35
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
now tell me chavez, how long did those races go for and how many were there on a weekend?

and yes i remember watching those races, (was it at midnight?)

and just buy the way how many drivers won races in those years?
In '91 their was one race per weekend. Races were all 50 minutes with the exception of Wanneroo which was 45 minutes.

The '92 series had three races per round. A 3 lap dash to determine the top six grid positions and two 20 minute heats.

Most of the races were shown between 4pm and 6pm (even in footy mad Melbourne) But remember I agree that the commercial aspects of V8 Supercars far outstrips the Group A or Group C era. And the TV coverage has improved over the last time Channel Seven had the rights.

The winners from those races ('91 and '92) were -

Jim Richards
Mark Skaife
Tony Longhurst
Peter Brock
John Bowe
Glenn Seton

And this was when fewer than a dozen drivers contested the whole championship. With 30 drivers full time in V8 Supercars we should see 15 drivers win races over a similar time frame.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2501492)   #36
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cars 'practice' and 'qualify' to get grid allocations based on 'fastest' = Grid Pos 1 - '2nd fastest' = Grid Pos 2 - and so-on - to 'slowest' = Grid Pos Last!

And then we're surprised that there's litttle passing????
Old 14 Jul 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2501629)   #37
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Reverse Grid needs a comeback. I don't care how many of you disagree with it, I love it.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 06:39 (Ref:2502004)   #38
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that was the issue, those who agreed with it were in a sheer minority
Old 15 Jul 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2502033)   #39
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Two things I'd put to him, and for that matter, would like to put to Bernie too:

1) Your category is the pinnacle of the sport in your area, and should be run in a manner beneficial to the whole of the sport (since that's where your next generation of drivers, teams and officials are coming from). The top end should be used to promote and strengthen the sport.

2) You're not an elected person, it is not the role of government to spend taxpayer's money to support your private venture, and (ab)using your power to elicit public finance. I would have more sympathy with you over 2) if you were respecting 1), but since you're not, you are a business and should act independently.
1) TC has made it clear that his mandate is to run V8SC for the benefit of V8SC. It's not his job to taek care of the rest of the sport and he clearly doesn't try to do so. I sometimes wonder what he would do if he was employed to run the sport as a whole, not just the top branch of it. He's a smart guy and he does his job well, in this scenario I expect he would steer a very different course, discuss.

2) As a taxpayer and a citzen I'd rather see the public purse put towards hospitals, schools, transport, infrastructure etc., but as a racing fan I'd much rather see it spent on motorsport than golf, tennis, football etc.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2502145)   #40
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Also, because I care about all motorsport and types of tracks I would also ask TC if he would mind putting together a few pointers on "how to" for the nice boys and girls of the ARDC. Nothing technical, no big words, lots of pictures and maybe a few free tickets to the Sydney 500 to see how it’s done properly...
Bazil, even then it may have to be simplified
Old 15 Jul 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2502153)   #41
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
about 20 seconds worth of well done with Townsville, then 29 minutes and 40 seconds of reasons that he should try his hand at getting a Govt (any Govt) to pay for a permanent racetrack!

Who said TC would be doing any talking?