Old 19 Feb 2011, 08:58 (Ref:2833651)   #1
kylekosir
Rookie

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
kylekosir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault F1 could be in trouble for Canadian GP

I don't know if anyone has heard,
I was reading in a local paper, and living in Canada, the Canadian Goverment is going to be pushing the law of the "Canadian tobacco act"

Meaning because of the Renault for this season is the old colours of the Players gold color, and from a cigarette pack, they might ban or even ask Renault to change colours for a weekend.

ridiculous to me..

Last edited by kylekosir; 19 Feb 2011 at 09:27.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2833675)   #2
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So are they also going to ask Ferrari to change the Marlboro red and white ?
Old 19 Feb 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2833678)   #3
kylekosir
Rookie

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
who knows, I doubt it. Just doesn't make sense.... I was kinda confused, when I raced in F1200 (Formula VEE) I saw an old 1980's porsche with original Rothmans Sponsorship on it, and I asked the team owner why that wasn't taken off? He said its its prior to 1998 it can be kept. Anything from 1998 and forward has a 5 year grace period on changing sponsorship. And that's in Canada. So its weird. Doesn't make sense to me....
Old 19 Feb 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2833700)   #4
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So the Porsche was still racing round with tobacco sponsorship ? 5 year grace period or not its still advertising .
Old 19 Feb 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2833702)   #5
kylekosir
Rookie

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
So the Porsche was still racing round with tobacco sponsorship ? 5 year grace period or not its still advertising .
Yup, he was racing. I was confused...
Old 19 Feb 2011, 11:26 (Ref:2833725)   #6
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The funny thing is Ferrari still receives sponsorship from Philip Morris just to have those stripes somewhat resembling a pack of Malboro on their cars. Renault in the meanwhile, I wouldnt think has any backing in any form from Imperial Tobbacos (the company behind JPS) do they? At this rate they could ban me some kid playing basketball in a black tee wearing a gold chain
Old 19 Feb 2011, 15:49 (Ref:2833810)   #7
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i read the summary of the act.
http://www.media-awareness.ca/englis...obacco_act.cfm
has a link to the full act

According to what it says
"Depict (in whole or in part) any tobacco product, or its package or brand — or even any imagery that might evoke a product or brand (section 22) "

Ferrari might(?) fall under the last part though it does not bear any resemblance to the actual Marlboro package.

Even the JPS paint scheme on the Renault doesn't depict the actual package.

So it looks like Canada would have to ban both paint schemes if it bans one. Ferrari would only have to paint the white stripes red to match the rest of the car while Renault could do something similar.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2833815)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or just not have a race in Canada?
Old 19 Feb 2011, 16:17 (Ref:2833819)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Better off without...
Old 19 Feb 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2833821)   #10
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Or just not have a race in Canada?
I doubt very much that one of the most exciting races of 2010 would be removed from the F1 calendar for this reason. Just change the paint on the offending bodywork.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 16:31 (Ref:2833823)   #11
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildrop View Post
I doubt very much that one of the most exciting races of 2010 would be removed from the F1 calendar for this reason. Just change the paint on the offending bodywork.
Exactly, although with Bernie you never know...
Old 19 Feb 2011, 16:38 (Ref:2833825)   #12
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekosir View Post
who knows, I doubt it. Just doesn't make sense.... I was kinda confused, when I raced in F1200 (Formula VEE) I saw an old 1980's porsche with original Rothmans Sponsorship on it, and I asked the team owner why that wasn't taken off? He said its its prior to 1998 it can be kept. Anything from 1998 and forward has a 5 year grace period on changing sponsorship. And that's in Canada. So its weird. Doesn't make sense to me....
There's a lot of classics running regularly over here with tobacco sponsorship - JPS, Gold Leaf, Marlboro, Rizla (not strictly tobacco) Silk Cut etc. There's even an old F1 car with Penthouse sponsorship! Some loophole in the law regarding period liveries I think.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2833832)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bernie might not want to race in Canada this way...
Old 19 Feb 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2833837)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It may be that things will get sorted out between Renault and Lotus before then.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2833838)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
There's a lot of classics running regularly over here with tobacco sponsorship - JPS, Gold Leaf, Marlboro, Rizla (not strictly tobacco) Silk Cut etc. There's even an old F1 car with Penthouse sponsorship! Some loophole in the law regarding period liveries I think.
Has there been legal attempts to ban Penthouse-style publications from advertising though? Similar outfits sponsor all sorts of things in Europe. As far as Rizla, they aren't covered by the tobacco advertising ban. King Size Rizlas though, they're nothing to do with tobacco
Old 19 Feb 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2833909)   #16
kylekosir
Rookie

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Ya there is deff a loop whole, and reading earlier. JPS not associtiated with Renault- Lotus this season.

But Don't Cancel the Canadian GP again. Im going again this season.....

Maybe a FB group should go out, because for the past 2 years, if there was a Facebook group that went agains't the goverment, they changed it. Wierd eh
Old 19 Feb 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2833917)   #17
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
The loophole is that tobacco Sponsership is banned, but as the tobacco companies are not giving any money to those running the livery it isn't sponsership.
Sounds like the wording in the Canadian law blocks that.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2834007)   #18
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im all for anti-tobacco, pro-health, but the sad thing is, the way Canadians go about this is contradictory to the whole concept of being anti-tobacco. If you think about it, who profits of this whole drama? JPS that's who. They get media coverage for absolutely nothing. That's the only thing that is happening, everybody is getting more aware of the brand, so well done.

Here is a crazy theory (emphasis on theory), I wouldnt be surprised if Imperial Tobacco (the owner of the JPS brand) was behind the whole story, persuading some relevant Canadian state officer to file this case. Regardless the outcome (maybe Renault has to repaint their cars, so what) Imperial Tobacco will be more than pleased as the whole thing makes the media and fans talk about their product.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 23:55 (Ref:2834046)   #19
kylekosir
Rookie

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
It also doesn't make sense why the government is making a big deal of a car that isn't even getting profit from John Players to use a car like that.

And Why the Canadian Government is complaining, I'm not sure? There the ones making a big portion of money from Tobacco that goes to them.