Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Jul 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3834831)   #226
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I just saw the Watkins Glen race finally after days of hiding from spoilers.

1. New graphics are "eh". Not used to it yet. I think the running order on the left takes up too much space. Need to shrink it some. Then it will be ok.

2. GTLM got the least amount of coverage by far. GTD got more air time. Not liking it at all.

3. Turner BMW came from nowhere to win. They have been afterthought all year and just show up all of the sudden and be in a position to win at the end. Great job guys. Perfect way to win with a true pro-am lineup. The Alegra GTD win at the 2017 Daytona 24 was done in a similar matter.

4. Big props to JDC, CORE, and United for their performance at the Watkins Glen race.

5. Big thumbs down to ESM Nissan and Joest Mazda. When they are off they are very bad.

6. Hard to see it but Spirit of Daytona is dying a slow death I think.

7. R.L.L BMW should be embarrassed by their performance. Step it up guys. Come on!

8. Scorecard for global GTLM/GTE in 2018
Ford = 3 wins; Daytona, Spa, Watkins Glen
Porsche = 3 wins; Sebring, Mid Ohio, Le Mans
Chevrolet = 1 win; Long Beach
0 wins for Ferrari, Aston Martin, and BMW

9. GTLM was weird. Why was Corvette so far off the pace in the first half of the race, but in the 2nd half they were right there battling it out.

10. Porsche and Mercedes STILL need BoP help in GTD.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3834839)   #227
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
The Turner BMW had almost disappeared from the series for a couple years … it was there but inconsequential. Suddenly it is winning races.

The Snow/Sellers Lambo and ther Legge/Parente Acura—great stories. Very young up-and-comer and a vet trying to win the title. A woman who hadn’t had much success trying to keep her ride by winning …

And Up front … I have been a Red Dragon fan since back when they were actually contenders in the Rolex series, so seeing them back in Victory Lane is a treat … and I have also been a Core fan since the day they started …. And I also like Acura team, particularly since I also follow IndyCar and like both Castroneves and Montoya.

Humorously, GTLM was the “lame” race of the day, with a three-second gap holding steady through the last 25 minutes … which would be a close finish in most series …..

This being IMSA, I am sure they will try to totally screw up the BoP for the next race … after all, a podium Without a Cadillac? Isn’t there a rule against that? But for this race at least, the rules worked and the teams delivered.

- I think Tuner BMW has one a race every year in GTD. But they do disappear for several races and then just end up going on a tear.

-Katherine Legge has stepped up her game big time this year I agree. Was not great in 2017. Andy Lally carried her for the wins they had. But she is contributing more this time.

-GTLM got the least screen time of the race because of your observations perhaps. Surprising they spread out so much in that final hour. The racing was intense between any combination of the Corvette/Ford/Porsche in hours 4 and 5.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3834842)   #228
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
That was an awesome race! Probably my favorite race of 2018 so far. Congrats to JDC!
Just disagree slightly on the best race part. I vote for Daytona and Mid Ohio over the Glen because on those we got so much green flag racing. The best races I think are the ones with fewer safety car periods because the results at the end are proper and not manipulated in some sort of way. I prefer that over anything in the sportscar racing platform.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3834856)   #229
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I just saw the Watkins Glen race finally after days of hiding from spoilers.

1. New graphics
exact same impression.

Quote:
2. GTLM got the least amount of coverage-
addressed in a later post.

Quote:
3. Turner BMW came from nowhere to win.
A guy from Turner complained when I said that ... i guess they have been doing well in PWC. Nice to see them back here though.

Quote:
4. Big props to JDC, CORE, and United for their performance at the Watkins Glen race-
I second this.

Quote:
5. Big thumbs down to ESM Nissan and Joest Mazda. When they are off they are very bad.
"Appalling" is sometimes the only fitting word. In this case, "embarrassing" also works." (Though part of ESM's race woes were not their own doing.)

Quote:
6. Hard to see it but Spirit of Daytona is dying a slow death I think.-
Yup. A little less every time from them ....

Quote:
7. R.L.L BMW should be embarrassed by their performance.
see #5.

Quote:
8. Scorecard for global GTLM/GTE in 2018
Ford = 3 wins; Daytona, Spa, Watkins Glen
Porsche = 3 wins; Sebring, Mid Ohio, Le Mans
Chevrolet = 1 win; Long Beach
0 wins for Ferrari, Aston Martin, and BMW
BMW is BoP-dependent, Ford has cubic dollars, Corvette is old, Ferrari are racing basically a showroom stock car against a purpose-designed- and built "GT prototype." Porsche is tough and reliable.

Quote:
9. GTLM was weird. Why was Corvette so far off the pace in the first half of the race, but in the 2nd half they were right there battling it out.
I forget what stuff Corvette had going wrong ... I cannot be expected to remember a week ago, at my age!

Quote:
10. Porsche and Mercedes STILL need BoP help in GTD.
Mercedes is struggling in every series, it seems. Sad, it is a pretty car and a good addition to the field.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3834898)   #230
CameronFromBV
Rookie

CameronFromBV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say, I was very glad to see the balance between DPI and P2 lead to a competitive race between both. And I must say I am beyond impressed by Stephen Simpson, and I'm so glad to finally see him get a win!
Old 6 Jul 2018, 22:41 (Ref:3835081)   #231
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Just disagree slightly on the best race part. I vote for Daytona and Mid Ohio over the Glen because on those we got so much green flag racing. The best races I think are the ones with fewer safety car periods because the results at the end are proper and not manipulated in some sort of way. I prefer that over anything in the sportscar racing platform.
In fairness, I only said it was my favorite not the best. It was a very American sports car race but I thought the officials were judicious in waving the yellow. I guess I'm used to it now and find ways to make use of that time at home and the track.

And I really enjoyed Daytona and Mid Ohio as well.