Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Jul 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2503602)   #201
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not at all Mr Ryan, my confusion stems from, if the event was such a success, why have the organisers felt the need to over inflate an all ready good crowd attendence?

Could it possibly be that they dont actually take official crowd figures but merely provide estimates?
Old 18 Jul 2009, 00:11 (Ref:2503605)   #202
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Why no penalty for s richards in the Sunday race ? Was it because he did'nt make any gain from it? If that be the case, it's another prime example of inconsistancy.

Cast ones mind back to B'hurst last year. Tander blows the start, goes to rear of field, ( no gain there) then gets the BS 10 second penalty.

richards &whincup both deserved a drive through.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 01:56 (Ref:2503644)   #203
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
sizzle just wondering on your method of counting? did you count the people, or count the tickets?

or was it an estimate, and if it was n estimate what is your experience in crowd estimating and what is you level of accuracy

We need this information so that DRT can rely on your possible crowd number, Apparantly he places more trust in your number than anyone elses
Old 18 Jul 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2503682)   #204
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have a feeling that your answer will be reconfigured by a Troll as "so there was no one there?"
Quote:
Not at all Mr Ryan, my confusion stems from
DRT thanks for confirming your troll status.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2504159)   #205
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
We need this information so that DRT can rely on your possible crowd number, Apparantly he places more trust in your number than anyone elses
I do place more trust in an objective source rather than an organisation with history of publishing bogus crowd figures. Please let me know if this is an unusual stance?

Not living up to the hype

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...01_hpnews.html

Quote:
''But no way has it (trade) lived up to the hype we were fed beforehand.''
Mr Barkle compared Friday night's crowds to a 'weak regular Saturday', and questioned the decision to close the street to traffic during the event.
Added to this, some chatter around EC today that the reported 60-70,000 race day crowds were more 30-35,000.

The plot thickens
Old 19 Jul 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2504161)   #206
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you read past the half way point of the article mate? Also the comments from mainly locals at the bottom were pretty good.

I'm guessing your glass is too big D.R.T, I'm sure you wouldn't say it's half full!

Living up to the hype:
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...newsphoto.html
Old 19 Jul 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2504168)   #207
D.R.T.
Veteran

Yes I did see the whole article, which outlined a mixed response from local businesses. If 170,000 people frequented Townsville for the event I am fairly certain you would have more than a "mixed response" from local businesses. Especially when some are calling for cruise ships to be brought to provide beds for the massive crowds.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2504335)   #208
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
However some traders, such as Rhino Bar owner Joel Solinas, said Saturday night had emerged as their busiest night of the year.

''It's been an absolutely cracking weekend,'' Mr Solinas said.

''We were expecting something amazing, and the event has certainly lived up to expectations.

''Saturday night was the biggest night of the year for us so far.''

He expected last night's trade to be just as big.

Fellow Palmer St trader Eleni Millio said her restaurant, Whiteblue, had also done a roaring trade.

''It's been fantastic. We had about 15,000 (patrons) in the street on Saturday night, and are looking to exceed that tonight,'' Ms Millios said yesterday.

''But we have noticed that people coming from a long day at the track wanted to dine, not party, which certainly suits Palmer St and what the businesses here have to offer.''
It looks like the very large crowd had a huge impact augurs well for future events.
This warning was not heeded by businesses not doing so well
Quote:
Perhaps the racegoers did not want to get ripped off by Tville businesses which was the word around town. These racegoers are used to being welcomed and NOT RIPPED OFF by local merchants and restaurants. Perhaps our restaurant and pub owners should see how they well the Bathurst business owners treat the patrons. STOP RIPPING OFF THE CROWDS TOWNSVILLE AND MOANING WHEN THE PARTONS CATCH ON!!!!
Quote:
Did you read past the half way point of the article mate? Also the comments from mainly locals at the bottom were pretty good.

I'm guessing your glass is too big D.R.T, I'm sure you wouldn't say it's half full!

Living up to the hype:
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...newsphoto.html
Exceeded the hype a very good event.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2504855)   #209
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Palmer Street businesses should have done well. It was the location of the highly-promoted street party on the Friday night, which would have put the restaurants and bars there into the minds of visitors.

Whoever decided that Flinders Street should be closed off deserves a bullet. I don't believe that was done in consultation with the businesses on the strip. From what I've heard, they certainly weren't supportive of the idea, and their complaints to the Townsville City Council fell on deaf ears.

That said, the pubs and clubs of the strip didn't help themselves by upping their drinks prices by a significant amount for the weekend. Also, all but one bar - including the pub quoted in the article above - charged for entry on the Saturday night. It's been a long time since that happened, and I'm sure that alienated a lot of locals, nevermind visitors.

Of the two articles I've seen that complained about less-than-expected demand, that one is the most balanced. The other one talked to businesses - such as small takeaway shops down Charters Towers road - that, due to their location or their wares, logically would not have seen a large increase in trade over the weekend.

A survey of all Townsville businesses, their takings for the weekend, and what changes they made in terms of extra stock and opening hours and the cost of those changes would make for interesting reading. Would give local businesses a better idea of what types of stores see increased traffic for the race weekend.

What isn't tangible yet is the boost given to Townsville's profile by the event. Three straight days of warm sunshine beamed into freezing-cold homes in NSW and Victoria ought to generate some interest in the area, along with the word of mouth from people who got to experience said warmth. As I said in the other thread, I've yet to hear a person say they weren't coming back.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2505147)   #210
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
[Perkins] was way over the other side of the track and who drove from one side of the track to the other. Racing room was not left and he should have yeilded
Perkins was on the racing line - and he was hit in the rear. There was virtually no overlap - Perkins did not turn across him.

Whincup overcooked it passing another car and ran into the back of Perkins... this is what happened.

As for whether he should have gotten a penalty for punting off a lapped car, well that is a different issue altogether...

How is this for a solution - advise Whincup that he will receive a 10 second time penalty at the conclusion of the race (after all it wasn't that serious a breach)...

Then sit back and watch him drive the wheels off to try and build that gap - would certainly be entertaining... Would also have ramifications for tyre availability in the second race...

The race is spiced up a bit, Whincup gets a penalty and people would be whingeing for some other reason on here...
Old 21 Jul 2009, 03:29 (Ref:2505198)   #211
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
As I said in the other thread, I've yet to hear a person say they weren't coming back.

I'm not.

But that has more to do with going to another round somewhere else.
Darwin (home) and try and do a different round each year.
Warm weather is secondary mate, I reckon it was bloody cold late afternoon and overnight.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2505315)   #212
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
.....................people would be whingeing for some other reason on here...
You got that right!