Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Feb 2011, 12:07 (Ref:2834590)   #26
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Surely there would be support for Bahrain to be replaced if there were 18 races in a season because it's the season opener?
Thats why it has been suggested, I think. The season opener should preferably be a big event, something on a finite date, something to look forward to. Ideally that "big event" should be in Melbourne though.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2834771)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Back down to 19; is that still too many?
Old 21 Feb 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2834855)   #28
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Peralta, you can't build an "event" like a GP that is only held every other year. We've seen in other forms of motorsport that for an event to build, you NEED a consistent venue, at a consistent time of year, held each year. This is NOT the World Cup or the Olympics, not by a long shot, so being closer to a "one-off" type event doesn't really work.

It MIGHT work if you were wanting to share between a couple of countries that are fairly small and very close together (Hungary/Czech Republic), but there are only so many of those in the world that have an honest interest in hosting F1.

Twenty GPs seems fine to me; I'd just have different ideas about where they should be held compared to what we have now.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2834866)   #29
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Twenty GPs seems fine to me; I'd just have different ideas about where they should be held compared to what we have now.
The latter is the key point in my opinion, although in my view that could be resolved with a eighteen race calendar. I have done a back of a fag packet calendar that would include all of the places F1 should go, with only eighteen races.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2834876)   #30
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
26 race calendar would be great.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 21:46 (Ref:2834894)   #31
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
So, Toaster, what countries are on that 18-race list?

My problem is always sorting out which are the most essential nations to visit in Eurasia. I mean, ideally, I figure on something 3 races in North America, 2 in South America, 1 in Africa, 2 in Australia/Oceania, and the remainder in Eurasia.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 22:25 (Ref:2834924)   #32
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
So, Toaster, what countries are on that 18-race list?
Broken down by region, and by classic (defined as having a GP in either 1950 or 1951) and non-classic for Europe.

Asia/Australasia : Japan, Korea, Singapore, Australia
Americas : United States, Canada, Brazil
Classic European Races : Spain, France, Monaco, United Kingdom, Germany, Belgium, Italy (I would argue that all of these races are non-negotiable aspects of the calendar, although possibly at different venues, namely Motorland Aragon for Spain and Paul Ricard for France).
Other European Races : Portugal, Poland, Russia, Sweden

I admit that Singapore is on the calendar because of the circuit and the sheer visual spectacle of a night street race, coupled with it being a sensible opening back-to-back with Australia. I'd start the season in Australia followed by Singapore (or possibly swung round), and end with the US and then Brazil.
Old 23 Feb 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2835707)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Broken down by region, and by classic (defined as having a GP in either 1950 or 1951) and non-classic for Europe.

Asia/Australasia : Japan, Korea, Singapore, Australia
Americas : United States, Canada, Brazil
Classic European Races : Spain, France, Monaco, United Kingdom, Germany, Belgium, Italy (I would argue that all of these races are non-negotiable aspects of the calendar, although possibly at different venues, namely Motorland Aragon for Spain and Paul Ricard for France).
Other European Races : Portugal, Poland, Russia, Sweden

I admit that Singapore is on the calendar because of the circuit and the sheer visual spectacle of a night street race, coupled with it being a sensible opening back-to-back with Australia. I'd start the season in Australia followed by Singapore (or possibly swung round), and end with the US and then Brazil.
That's a very comprehensive list. What about a roving European GP?
Old 24 Feb 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2836319)   #34
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's a very comprehensive list. What about a roving European GP?
To which venue would it be roving - and who would pay for it?

Nürburgring? Portimao? Jerez? Imola? Maybe even a restored Donington?
Or Fuji, calling it the Pacific GP again?
Old 25 Feb 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2836494)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post

Any of the venues you've listed, as for payment a reduced fee but too be honest Bernie wouldn't buy it; he wants his £20mill per GP.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 01:35 (Ref:2836511)   #36
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post

Portimao would ideally be on the calendar anyway as the Portuguese GP.