Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 17 Jul 2014, 16:22 (Ref:3434923)   #1
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prodrive collection to Donington Park Museum

I have received an e-mail which tells me that Prodrive's collection of their historic race and rally cars is to be on display at the Donington Park museum for the next year whilst Prodrive relocates. Definitely have to pop up the road to have a look.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3434983)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I have received an e-mail which tells me that Prodrive's collection of their historic race and rally cars is to be on display at the Donington Park museum for the next year whilst Prodrive relocates. Definitely have to pop up the road to have a look.
Hmm, time for me to go back too (my last visit was 1974!) This may just have given me a reason...
Old 18 Jul 2014, 06:42 (Ref:3435057)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What exactly is in the 'Prodrive' collection? and where was it previoulsy housed? I don't think I have visited the Donington museum since it first opened in 1976-my main interest has always been drivers & circuits rather than cars.Last visited the circuit a few years back when booked on a flight from east Midlands we were forced to park in circuit car park -shuttle bus to terminal..
Old 18 Jul 2014, 07:35 (Ref:3435074)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
http://www.donington-park.co.uk/news...n-into-museum/

Essentially it's one of each of the cars Prodrive have been involved in building/running - Subaru WRC, Ford BTCC, Aston Martin GT, BAR F1, etc. Previously housed at Prodrive's own workshops in Banbury.
Old 19 Jul 2014, 07:36 (Ref:3435369)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
http://www.donington-park.co.uk/news...n-into-museum/

Essentially it's one of each of the cars Prodrive have been involved in building/running - Subaru WRC, Ford BTCC, Aston Martin GT, BAR F1, etc. Previously housed at Prodrive's own workshops in Banbury.
Quite a few cars missing from that lot.. I guess these are the ones DR has managed to keep hold of or buy!!

Where's the race cars like M3, Alfa 155, 550 GT1, Lola LMP1 and their first proper rally weapon, the Legacy?
Old 19 Jul 2014, 12:17 (Ref:3435436)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Quite a few cars missing from that lot.. I guess these are the ones DR has managed to keep hold of or buy!!

Where's the race cars like M3, Alfa 155, 550 GT1, Lola LMP1 and their first proper rally weapon, the Legacy?
There's a Legacy in the pic- at the back, and a Ferrari. Agree about the others, though! Wonder how much a P2 would be worth now if they had made a few?

Old 20 Jul 2014, 12:36 (Ref:3435801)   #7
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

As you say, it's odd that they've got a rally M3 but not a race one- although I know some of those are in private hands. IIRC most of the Lola-Aston LMP1s might be in the hands of private collectors.

I wonder if that list is slightly inaccurate?- as Mike said, there's a Legacy, a 550 and a DBR9 in the pic, none of which are mentioned- Unless it's an old photo, and DR has either sold those, or has them on display somewhere else?
Old 21 Jul 2014, 06:36 (Ref:3436115)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the update Mike and Kevan....

Glad those extra car's are there. There would have been no excuses with the 550 as I believe a load of them were until very recently at least stuck in a corner of a big hangar over MK way!

Does/did DR own another building for ops other than Banbury?
Old 21 Jul 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3436203)   #9
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does/did DR own another building for ops other than Banbury?
They own a former airfield/ test track near Balsall Common, Warwickshire.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 12:46 (Ref:3436227)   #10
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
They own a former airfield/ test track near Balsall Common, Warwickshire.
T'was RAF Honiley and for a while, the Lucas test track.
I think this was also where they were hoping to base their Grand Prix team (which didn't happen in the end).
They also used the site for their own development projects, including road car contracts for major manufacturers, like the Mk I Ford Focus RS...
Old 22 Jul 2014, 15:21 (Ref:3436692)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
IIRC most of the Lola-Aston LMP1s might be in the hands of private collectors.
That sounds about right - I'm sure that I read / heard somewhere that the funding for the LMP1 program was reliant on the cars being sold on to private individuals. Cars with a good race history being worth more - and the AMR One project cost them dearly as the results didn't come.