Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 Oct 2018, 11:36 (Ref:3855891)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Global Rallycross Europe

Global Rallycross Europe now has it's own website:

https://globalrallycross.net/home/

More details to follow, but it seems like the Championship will run two classes:

GRC Titans (using a spec car)
GRC Supercars
Old 10 Oct 2018, 16:54 (Ref:3855946)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...76#post3800976

That October race would be Lydden Hill, but is it?
Old 10 Oct 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3855960)   #3
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...76#post3800976

That October race would be Lydden Hill, but is it?
No. The October race was the "original" GRC. This is a spin off series run by Max Pucher (the MJP Racing team principle).

If I understand correctly Pucher was planning to launch this separate series before the US GRC collapsed.

They are talking about rounds in several countries, including the UK, so possible that we will see this series in Europe.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 20:07 (Ref:3855984)   #4
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The calendar is at this time tentative and has to be finalized through the usual ASN and FIA channels for 2019. We plan to race in Austria, UK, Germany, Hungary, France, Slovakia and Italy."

Since there is an emphasis on countries that are a part of the FIA European Central Rallycross Championship (or whatever the series is called), I'm guessing that Hungarian round will be at Nyirad, Slovakia at Slovakiaring and Italy at Maggiora. Lydden will probably be the UK round.

"MJP Promotions is the owner of the Global Rallycross brand for Europe.
Global Rallycross will run in 2019 two racing series with GRC Titans and GRC Supercars.
MJP Racing developed a new one-design Rallycross class for GRC Titans with the PanteraRX6.
PanteraRX6 is similar to Supercars in track performance at 20% of WorldRX cost.
GRC Supercars use the FIA Supercar Regulation with Balance-of-Performance"

Perhaps this is what many has been hoping for? A non-IMG European championship that runs at least some more traditional track. Nice to see Supercars although this Balance-of-Perfomance seems kinda odd.

I wonder what 20% of WorldRX cost is since it's not related to anything concrete.

There is a kickoff on October 18th.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3857526)   #5
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Official launch of the Championship was today. No confirmed calendar yet, but a bit more information:

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...hed-in-vienna/

TV coverage will be in Eurosport.
Old 7 Dec 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3868550)   #6
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
First two venues the Championship will visit confirmed:

https://www.facebook.com/globalrally...84414511825418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Rallycross Europe Facebook Page
Global Rallycross Championship (GRC) Europe confirms 2019 race events with Montalegre, Portugal and Lydden Hill, UK. Atte Varsta joins as GRC Commercial Director.

MJP Promotions confirms that it has closed agreements with the City of Montalegre, Portugal to host a race event on August 10th and 11th and with Lydden Hill, UK on July 27th and 28th for the 2019 Global Rallycross (GRC) Europe International Series. MJP Promotions is also very pleased to announce that Finland’s experienced motorsport manager Atte Varsta has been signed for the position of GRC Commercial Director. He is responsible for commercial activities such as driver contracts, sponsoring, and partnerships.

Global Rallycross Europe will run 6 race weekends with 11-12 races in 2019 to fight for the title of GRC Europe Series Winner at the Grand Finale in October. GRC will run two racing categories with GRC Titans and GRC Supercars. From 2020 other GRC series from around the globe will participate to crown the Global Rallycross Cup Winner in the Global Finale of the year.

Global Rallycross Europe boss Max J. Pucher: “It is the clearly defined strategy of MJP Promotions to revitalize what has made Rallycross the best driver-focused motorsport and to bring back the drama and action that it used to deliver to its passionate fans. Driving the classic tracks with GRC Europe is one important element of achieving that. I want to thank the people of Montalegre for their unwavering support of Rallycross despite the recent developments. We can’t wait to see ten thousand plus spectators cheering our drivers at the Montalegre circuit in August 2019. Lydden Hill has always been a cornerstone track for GRC in my mind and therefore it is fantastic that we could fit July 27th and 28th into a very tight calendar. We will soon confirm the other 2019 GRC calendar entries. I am also very excited that Atte Varsta has joined our team and will take an important role for our success as GRC Commercial Director.”

Atte Varsta says: ”In recent years Rallycross has become one of the most popular motorsports in the world. In my roles at WorldRX teams I have however seen first-hand the cost explosion. When I heard that GRC Europe had its focus on doing world class Rallycross for less than 20% of WorldRX, I had to go and see what it is all about. And here I am being there when we announce Montalegre in our 2019 calendar! It is just fantastic how far GRC Europe has already advanced in achieving its strategic goals. I know now that GRC will play a major role in this sport. I want to thank Max Pucher for his confidence and trust in me. I’m thrilled to be part of the Global Rallycross Europe organisation.”

Press Contact: press@grc-europe.com
https://lyddenhill.co.uk/
Old 11 Jan 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3875474)   #7
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
The Hansens will compete in GRC Europe this season.

https://parcferme.no/rallycross/hans...m7ll0LIg_1ZiuI
Old 11 Jan 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3875482)   #8
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Wow, didn't expect that!
Old 11 Jan 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3875483)   #9
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post

I had suspected an announcement of a private WRX entry or a drop to ERX which makes the jump to GRC Europe rather surprising.

I wonder if any other WRX/ERX entrants will now make the switch?
Old 11 Jan 2019, 12:54 (Ref:3875485)   #10
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozi View Post
I wonder if any other WRX/ERX entrants will now make the switch?
Yeah, that was my first thought as well. Now Hansen have been the first to jump, will others follow?

As you say I was expecting a private WRX or ERX program.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 14:18 (Ref:3875498)   #11
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
I guess Hansen couldn't get the 208s from Peugeot and instead they opted for this as it's a lot cheaper.

The irony that WRX forced out privateers and in the end Hansen is one of them.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3875554)   #12
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it none of the muppets from the other series ie. organisers are involved,
Thinking this could help resume my hobby, fingers crossed been a long time coming
Old 11 Jan 2019, 21:36 (Ref:3875606)   #13
rallyloverke
Racer

rallyloverke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About the calendar : i still don't see any GRC event at the Lydden page?
Old 14 Jan 2019, 21:54 (Ref:3876161)   #14
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyloverke View Post
About the calendar : i still don't see any GRC event at the Lydden page?
I think it is just their website being rubbish because it is mentioned on their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LyddenHi...ircuit/events/
Old 14 Jan 2019, 22:08 (Ref:3876165)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Wow, didn't expect that!
Especially because PSRX and EKS don't take part so good chance on the title.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 22:13 (Ref:3876166)   #16
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozi View Post
I think it is just their website being rubbish because it is mentioned on their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LyddenHi...ircuit/events/
And have also reposted Oliver Bennett:

"‘If’ I was to race in the Lydden Hill Race Circuit Global Rallycross Europe event which car would you want to see me in...

MINI vs Fiesta "
Old 14 Jan 2019, 22:17 (Ref:3876171)   #17
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Round 1&2 Dreux
Round 3&4 Lydden Hill
Round 5&6 Montalegre
Round 7&8 Fuglau, MJP Arena
Round 9&10 Nyiard
Grand Final Estering
Every round will be broadcasted on Eurosport
Old 21 Jan 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3877494)   #18
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Dates for the full calendar:

Old 21 Jan 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3877513)   #19
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't realise Pucher had his own track. By the looks of google maps it'll need some work to take many spectators though.

Interesting (although not surprising) that he's picked up on the venues that have been dropped by the FIA championship.
Old 21 Jan 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3877520)   #20
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Didn't realise Pucher had his own track. By the looks of google maps it'll need some work to take many spectators though.

Interesting (although not surprising) that he's picked up on the venues that have been dropped by the FIA championship.
Fuglau, been around for many years and Pucher bought it. It's a very small track.

https://www.facebook.com/globalrally...5689639355641/

Pucher wants to build the series on the things WRX has lost or doesn't have and he has an own vision of how he thinks rallycross should be.

Low costs, traditional tracks and equal terms for all the drivers is kinda the base mark. For example; instead of time, points will be awarded based on position and Supercars will have a weight distribution system similar to that in TCR or other racing championships.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3877643)   #21
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Pucher wants to build the series on the things WRX has lost or doesn't have and he has an own vision of how he thinks rallycross should be.

Low costs, traditional tracks and equal terms for all the drivers is kinda the base mark. For example; instead of time, points will be awarded based on position and Supercars will have a weight distribution system similar to that in TCR or other racing championships.
Surely he can't alter the time thing. Rallycross is a speed event and timing is and has been the core of qualifying since the beginning. Moving from overall times to points for race position would change the classification of the sport from 'Speed' to 'Race'
Old 22 Jan 2019, 10:36 (Ref:3877658)   #22
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
Surely he can't alter the time thing. Rallycross is a speed event and timing is and has been the core of qualifying since the beginning. Moving from overall times to points for race position would change the classification of the sport from 'Speed' to 'Race'
I was somewhat wrong, I went back and checked the press conference from the launch of the series.

"You get more points for winning the race than just having the fastest time ... The main reason we do that is because of the lottery going on with the weather, with the race track changing, with the watering and other issues. Here, we believe that the most important thing is that you win the race ... There is some points for time also but this is really the key element and one of the most important changes."

About 33:00 min in. https://www.facebook.com/globalrally...6180917033612/

Last edited by crossfades; 22 Jan 2019 at 10:46.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 14:12 (Ref:3877702)   #23
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
"You get more points for winning the race than just having the fastest time ... The main reason we do that is because of the lottery going on with the weather, with the race track changing, with the watering and other issues. Here, we believe that the most important thing is that you win the race ... There is some points for time also but this is really the key element and one of the most important changes."
This seems sensible to me, to a degree. A 'bonus point' type option for winning the heat helps to negate those times that we see tracks get faster as they dry out, which means that those who go quick in Q1 benefit throughout the event. They need to get the balance right though.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 11:25 (Ref:3880857)   #24
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Hayden Paddon (!) will do the entire series in the Pantera class.

https://www.facebook.com/haydenpaddo...type=3&theater
Old 6 Mar 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3888641)   #25
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Right so what’s happening now?
Potentially a bloody big let down and false hope if this isn’t to happen and why would you state you are to compete and then switch Bloody Crazy not a good start!