Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Who will be the 2019 VASC Series Winning Driver?
#2 Mobil1/Mega, WAU Holden - Scott Pye 0 0%
#3 Rabble Club, KR Nissan - Garry Jacobson 0 0%
#5 The Bottle O, Tickford Ford - Lee Holdsworth 0 0%
#6 Monster Energy, Tickford Ford - Cam Waters 0 0%
#7 Kelly Racing, KR Nissan - Andre Heimgartner 0 0%
#8 Brad Jones Racing, BJR Holden - Nick Percat 0 0%
#9 Penrite Racing, Erebus Holden - David Reynolds 9 23.08%
#12 Shell V Power, DJRTP Ford - Fabian Coulthard 0 0%
#14 Freightliner, BJR Holden - Tim Slade 0 0%
#15 Castrol Racing, KR Nissan - Rick Kelly 0 0%
#17 Shell V Power, DJRTP Ford - Scott McLaughlin 17 43.59%
#18 Irwin Racing, Chasports Holden - Mark Winterbottom 1 2.56%
#19 Truck Assist, Tekno Holden - Jack Le Brocq 0 0%
#21 Cooldrive Auto Parts, BJR Holden - Macauley Jones 0 0%
#22 Mobil1/Mega, WAU Holden - James Courtney 0 0%
#23 Milwaukee Racing, 23Red Ford - Will Davison 0 0%
#33 Boost Mobile, GRM Holden - Richie Stanaway 0 0%
#34 Boost Mobile, GRM Holden - James Golding 1 2.56%
#35 Optus Racing, MSR Holden - Todd Hazelwood 0 0%
#55 SuperCheap Auto, Tickford Ford - Chaz Mostert 2 5.13%
#78 Harvey Norman, KR Nissan - Simona De Silvestro 0 0%
#88 Red Bull Holden, RBHRT Holden - Jamie Whincup 2 5.13%
#97 Red Bull Holden, RBHRT Holden - Shane Van Gisbergen 7 17.95%
#99 Penrite Racing, Erebus Holden - Anton de Pasquale 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Feb 2019, 10:55 (Ref:3884088)   #1276
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They had the opportunity to make it fit the chassis just as other constructors have, and to make it look cohesive.

They were wide of the mark.

Comparing side profiles, they could have easily made the proportions work better by raising the front and rear to similar heights used by the Altima and ZB Commodore.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:01 (Ref:3884091)   #1277
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And probably ruined the aerodynamics, it's not so much about looks as performance and advantage. Designed to win.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 02:30 (Ref:3884288)   #1278
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
I wish people would stop mulling about how it looks from this angle or that angle, it was built to fit a control chassis, it was built to perform aerodynamically within tight guidelines, who cares if it looks like a Mustang or a 1937 Cord, it was designed within the VASC guidelines to be quick and win races, so far so good.
I would think most people on this forum understand that.

However Supercars have always remained faithful to the road going product in generally appearance.

The Mustang which must owe some of its' popularity to its' iconic shape has clearly departed from this.

Judging by the number of comments here and on other social media there is a chorus of disapproval over its appearance.

Motor Racing for many is a visual and aural experience. The cars on the 2019 grid all sound the same and the newest car to join the grid should be pleasing to the eye. This monstrosity is not.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 02:47 (Ref:3884289)   #1279
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jason Gomersall Buys Share of MSR
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Feb 2019, 02:50 (Ref:3884290)   #1280
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Stanaway 'inexperienced'

Old 15 Feb 2019, 03:49 (Ref:3884293)   #1281
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So how long until he starts blaming the team and equipment?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 06:42 (Ref:3884310)   #1282
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two relative rookies in the team, and I am not Bieber's biggest fan so it could be a tough year.

That said, if I was a rookie driver, Tickford is the last place I'd want to go - they can't seem to settle on engineers, and it does seem to hurt the drivers.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 21:07 (Ref:3884482)   #1283
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Two relative rookies in the team, and I am not Bieber's biggest fan so it could be a tough year.

That said, if I was a rookie driver, Tickford is the last place I'd want to go - they can't seem to settle on engineers, and it does seem to hurt the drivers.
Mr Golding is only temporary until Mr Courtney shows up isntbge?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 23:14 (Ref:3884501)   #1284
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Mr Golding is only temporary until Mr Courtney shows up isntbge?
I guess we need to see him do something great this year, either a pole, a win, or put the car somewhere it doesn't belong, or he's going to fall into the Dean Canto/James Moffat category of journeymen who will probably carve out an enduro career without doing anything remarkable.

For me the similarity with Moffat is clear actually in the mistakes Golding keeps making.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 23:15 (Ref:3884502)   #1285
Mixer
Veteran

Handbrake required for pit stops to stop wheel spinning:

https://www.supercars.com/news/champ...e-wheelspin-2/

A good reaction to criticism about the greyness of the rule, but who will be the first one to get a handbrake stuck on, and lose an enduro?
Old 15 Feb 2019, 23:42 (Ref:3884507)   #1286
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Debt to equity conversion, perhaps?

Jason must have spent a small fortune with Matt over the years.
Old 15 Feb 2019, 23:54 (Ref:3884511)   #1287
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume the handbrake operates the rear brake circuit only? No affect on pad changes then?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 16 Feb 2019, 00:38 (Ref:3884515)   #1288
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I guess we need to see him do something great this year, either a pole, a win, or put the car somewhere it doesn't belong, or he's going to fall into the Dean Canto/James Moffat category of journeymen who will probably carve out an enduro career without doing anything remarkable.

For me the similarity with Moffat is clear actually in the mistakes Golding keeps making.
Of the drivers that have gone through the GRM school of hard knocks, only 3 have gone on to be successful; Whincup, Tander, McLaughlin. The rest have withered on the vine.

I don't read too much into Mr Rogers' talent-spotting ability, when those mentioned didn't really show their full potential until landing at other teams.

I don't think he'll ever unearth another Scott, who'd drag a mid-pack car to the pointy end on ability alone. The equipment to assist these sorts of drivers just isn't there for the most part.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 00:45 (Ref:3884516)   #1289
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Of the drivers that have gone through the GRM school of hard knocks, only 3 have gone on to be successful; Whincup, Tander, McLaughlin. The rest have withered on the vine.
And Garry famously missed the boat on Whincup.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 00:45 (Ref:3884517)   #1290
Umai Naa
Veteran

It's just the same line locker/ hydraulic handbrake they use on the grid.

Apply brake pressure, operate the line lock, release brake pedal, and pressure remains in the brake circuit until the line lock is disengaged.

All they have done is allowed the use of the device outside of the starting procedure. Remember when Tander pulled it during a qualifying session at Symmons Plains to avoid the sand trap, and got pinged?
Old 16 Feb 2019, 01:04 (Ref:3884519)   #1291
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
All they have done is allowed the use of the device outside of the starting procedure. Remember when Tander pulled it during a qualifying session at Symmons Plains to avoid the sand trap, and got pinged?
See that is the kind of thing where there's a rule with an intended purpose, an punishment for a infringement of that nature which isn't performance enhancing, but perhaps saves a car being bogged, is the kind of place where stewards discretion is appropriate.

Also, the Facebook comments, apparently this rule is going to be used in favour of 888, Roland paid for it... I dunno how...
Old 16 Feb 2019, 01:15 (Ref:3884524)   #1292
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Of the drivers that have gone through the GRM school of hard knocks, only 3 have gone on to be successful; Whincup, Tander, McLaughlin.
Plus Steven Richards, Jason Bargwanna, Cameron McConville, Michael Caruso and Lee Holdsworth.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 01:28 (Ref:3884526)   #1293
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Roger's unearth Scotty? Or jumped on him after he won the Development Series with Stone Bro's.

Old 16 Feb 2019, 01:38 (Ref:3884528)   #1294
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Plus Steven Richards, Jason Bargwanna, Cameron McConville, Michael Caruso and Lee Holdsworth.
None of those are in the category of Whincup, Tander or Scotty Mac, they are all guys who have managed to have a career, without doing anything special, which was the point...
Old 16 Feb 2019, 01:46 (Ref:3884529)   #1295
jiminee
Racer

jiminee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Did Roger's unearth Scotty? Or jumped on him after he won the Development Series with Stone Bro's.

Was not even that - it was the Fujitsu connection that brought them together.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 01:47 (Ref:3884531)   #1296
Umai Naa
Veteran

Richo saw more success as a co-driver, long after he left GRM in '98.

Bargwanna's best years were at GRM when they were front runners in the late '90s/early '00s. After that, nothing much to write home about.

Both Caruso and Holdsworth bagged unlikely wins with a mid-pack GRM in the late '00s. Total race wins between them, you can count on one hand. Never championship contenders.

McConville was already a known talent 10+ years before he landed at GRM.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 01:50 (Ref:3884532)   #1297
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post

Marriage of convenience (money) with Fujitsu.

I don't think he was ever unearthed. His old man managed to get him into the right places and the right time.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 02:46 (Ref:3884541)   #1298
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Marriage of convenience (money) with Fujitsu.

I don't think he was ever unearthed. His old man managed to get him into the right places and the right time.
Jason Bright was the first one to bring him through the Britek Fujitsu Cool driver program.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 03:39 (Ref:3884544)   #1299
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Just ask Ross Stone :P

EDIT: These tobacco companies are trying it on, but with press coverage like this I can't see the experiment lasting very long:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/b...15-p50xzh.html

The thing I think about is this.

If they truly create subsidiaries, that take tobacco money and do whatever else with it, how the hell can it be regulated?

Last edited by Mixer; 16 Feb 2019 at 03:48.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 07:38 (Ref:3884551)   #1300
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

EDIT: These tobacco companies are trying it on, but with press coverage like this I can't see the experiment lasting very long:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/b...15-p50xzh.html

The thing I think about is this.

If they truly create subsidiaries, that take tobacco money and do whatever else with it, how the hell can it be regulated?

Pack Leader? *cough* *cough*