Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Jul 2002, 19:27 (Ref:336809)   #1
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ARCA drivers despicable?

I hope CART drivers would never pull the stunt on any female drivers racing in the series. Speaking of CART, when was the last time a female raced in CART? Moreover, have any CART drivers commented on female drivers or their talents?

OTOH, Nascar should really step in and clean the situation up.

Here is the first news release
http://www.tennessean.com/sports/mot...nt_ID=19931875

Below, there are more related news on the Renshaw incident.
http://www.tennessean.com/sports/motorsports/

Last edited by kmchow; 18 Jul 2002 at 19:31.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 22:53 (Ref:336922)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think any woman with sponsorship could get a drive in Champ Cars, but as Sarah Fisher found out, that isn't easy. In fact, it isn't easy for men either!

I can see F1 pulling this kind of stunt on a woman who wanted a drive with them, though.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 23:19 (Ref:336929)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

F1? I thought they wouldn't care who drives, as long as they bring a very big chequebook!!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 00:31 (Ref:336976)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as there's a single man left in the lower formulae, no woman will ever drive in the WWF-1.

However, I'd put money on a Canadian woman named Ashley Taws to be the first female Champ Car driver -- as long as she remains childless. She's better than half the field in Formula Ford already and this is her first year!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 07:22 (Ref:337101)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The despicable drivers involved here were not ARCA but NASCAR licence holders-competing in a local weekly series. By coincidence Deborah started in the national ARCA series the previous day.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 00:32 (Ref:338470)   #6
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
However, I'd put money on a Canadian woman named Ashley Taws to be the first female Champ Car driver
If she makes it, she won't be the first. Desire Wilson started in a total of 11 CART events between 1983 and 1986. Lyn St. James also started in 11 CART events between 1992 and 1995. Of course Janet Guthrie was the true trail-blazer having competed at Indianapolis during the pre-CART Indy racing era.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 03:50 (Ref:338521)   #7
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The upside is these guys spent $3,600 to buy Deborah Renshaw alot of press and most likely build a fire under her career while Mark Day probably just blew any chance he ever had to land a big league sponsor. The downside is they are probably to thick headed to know it.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 14:29 (Ref:338801)   #8
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the subject of female drivers, isn't Danica Patrick being fast-tracked by Bobby Rahal. She may first and foremost be a chick (and a fine-looking one at that), but she's well able to drive as well.

This season is a bit of a nightmare for CART. What with some teams failing, others considering crossing the street and the motor manufacturers getting interested in Tony's folly. Shame
Old 22 Jul 2002, 03:27 (Ref:339292)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

I thought Sarah Fisher had a best finish last year (or was it this year?) of 3rd place? Regarding Mark Day's blowing of his sponsorship status--do you think it will seriously hurt him in the long run? I guess big sponsors don't want a tarnished driver before they even have signed them?
Old 22 Jul 2002, 11:16 (Ref:339495)   #10
Liz
Veteran

F1 had some years like that too, remember -- even had a drivers' strike at one point. With proper management they will survive. And with the press not circling like vultures praying that they'll die.

Thanks for the information about a previous woman driver in CART. I suppose we girls make remarks about guys' looks so it's ok to refer to a female driver as "a hot chick".
Old 22 Jul 2002, 13:07 (Ref:339608)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I suppose we girls make remarks about guys' looks so it's ok to refer to a female driver as "a hot chick".
Yes, it is. Just check the beginning of the topic in the single seater forum to see that.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Jul 2002, 20:47 (Ref:340030)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 doesnt care if you've got boobs or the color of your skin. If you've got money or talent and hopefully both, they'll take you.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 00:53 (Ref:340234)   #13
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sickening to read about those stock car drivers, compulsive stuff as it's hard to believe anyone would stoop so low. Hope these guys lose fans and sponsorship as a result. Evil &£@%s!
Old 23 Jul 2002, 05:06 (Ref:340297)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Liz- does Ashley have a rich father or a big sack of cash? If not, she'll wind up in that massive category of drivers with way more talent than cash...