Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Apr 2020, 15:11 (Ref:3969134)   #1
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pro drivers in historics

Another Autosport article for those that haven’t seen it.

https://www.autosport.com/historics/...en-for-granted
Old 7 Apr 2020, 16:39 (Ref:3969146)   #2
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a subscriber so can't see the whole article unfortunately. However, Sam Hancock is a good guy (I've known him and his family for about 40 years) so I'm sure it would have been an interesting read.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 17:47 (Ref:3969164)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Send me your email address Alan. I can help ]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Apr 2020, 20:15 (Ref:3969184)   #4
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I'm not a subscriber so can't see the whole article unfortunately. However, Sam Hancock is a good guy (I've known him and his family for about 40 years) so I'm sure it would have been an interesting read.
Apologies, I hadn’t considered that you need to be a subscriber to view.

I think I bought an Autosport Plus only subscription last November time when it was on off for about £25. Unlike the magazine, I think that’s worth it.
Old 8 Apr 2020, 17:45 (Ref:3969400)   #5
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Me too not a subscriber but how to qualify a pro driver? Only those doing that for a living? Or can we add the numerous drivers who have been participating at every event for a long time? The Peter Auto system sounds good in this aspect imo.
Old 8 Apr 2020, 18:29 (Ref:3969408)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gerard PM me your email address and I'll forward the article in screenshots

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Apr 2020, 05:13 (Ref:3969502)   #7
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Old 10 Apr 2020, 10:51 (Ref:3969749)   #8
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Me too not a subscriber but how to qualify a pro driver? Only those doing that for a living? Or can we add the numerous drivers who have been participating at every event for a long time? The Peter Auto system sounds good in this aspect imo.
I would say the definition made by some is too weak, the trouble of historic motor sport is that there are different levels of pro drivers, like in modern but very different.

There are the retired pro or let's say drivers that at a point in their career earned and income or just simply raced at a level which even if not earning them a living would qualify them as such, say a driver that did FF1600, F2 or F3 in the second tier of the grid and without a so-called works drive or one of these "gentleman" that could buy their way in endurance racing back in the 1970s, 1980s and even 1990s. I call these the BRONZES.

There are the historic pros or the guys that have made a name in historic motor sport, earned a reputation and displayed skills which could have brought them to higher levels if they have had the budget to go into the modern sport let's say and no need to give the names here, there are plenty today whom also went to Le Mans or so thanks to their skills and help of another gentleman driver. They drive, they coach and make a partial or full living of this through historic and I call these the SILVERS.

And last and upper tier are the guys still active or partially active in modern motor sport and whom made a full name there. They haven't been active in the last 5 years but they are of a younger generation, have the fitness unknown to most in historics and abilities that goes with it, these are to me the GOLDS. They are clear pros and have always been, race driving is their base business and it cannot be ignored.

The point is that whatever way you want to classify the drivers, you will never make all of them happy but there has to be clear parameters. About 5 years ago we designed a full system for such classification in historics and it is far from easy to be clear, open and factual when it comes to talent and income. And it would have taken a lot to promoters to actually have the guts to enforce it when it comes to customers.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 11:24 (Ref:3969761)   #9
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
The point is that whatever way you want to classify the drivers, you will never make all of them happy but there has to be clear parameters. About 5 years ago we designed a full system for such classification in historics and it is far from easy to be clear, open and factual when it comes to talent and income. And it would have taken a lot to promoters to actually have the guts to enforce it when it comes to customers.
Yep, indeed. As we say, not a piece of cake or not a just add water job!
Old 10 Apr 2020, 11:37 (Ref:3969762)   #10
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, as histrionics are now pretty much on a par with bigger series in some ways, why not do the same as endurance racing and have a pro/am tier system.

I's usually the same old names winning in historics, as it has been for decades, so why not have a tier system for the bigger races, it pretty much works that way anyway.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 12:10 (Ref:3969771)   #11
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
There is a Elite/Gent system in PA events. A good move forward I think.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 08:18 (Ref:3970701)   #12
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
So, as histrionics are now pretty much on a par with bigger series in some ways, why not do the same as endurance racing and have a pro/am tier system.

I's usually the same old names winning in historics, as it has been for decades, so why not have a tier system for the bigger races, it pretty much works that way anyway.
It could be a way in the future but then there has to be one central authority to rule the classification with all parties around the table. If you knew how hard the modern system is to establish already, think about getting all big historic actors to agree
Old 14 Apr 2020, 09:48 (Ref:3970718)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Do you have a classification for drivers called 'rusty old iron' ?

Asking for a friend
Old 14 Apr 2020, 12:37 (Ref:3970743)   #14
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Do you have a classification for drivers called 'rusty old iron' ?

Asking for a friend
I am in that class.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 14:31 (Ref:3970776)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The PA system has some holes in it.
What happens when an owner does not drive but let’s a couple of drivers use the car.
There is no professional / gentleman driver situation at that point?
Old 14 Apr 2020, 14:36 (Ref:3970779)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The PA system has some holes in it.
What happens when an owner does not drive but let’s a couple of drivers use the car.
There is no professional / gentleman driver situation at that point?
Is it not down to the entrant, and/or drivers, to declare?

I'll get an old iron stamp made if you like