Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 16 Apr 2009, 10:56 (Ref:2442111)   #51
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photos by Clarke W. Nicholls

Seemes as a bit of brain fade affected my sense of propriety. The three photos in the previous post, and the four accompanying this one, are thanks to the talent and generousity of Mr. Clarke W. Nicholls.

My appreciation also goes out to 1987 SCCA F Production National Champion Mr. Jim Knerr, for his assistance in my own personal research.

These images are the competitors in the 1982 SCCA Formula Atlantic Championship race at Road Atlanta. While I was in attendance at this event, I was preoccupied with a broken leg, a Frissbee Can Am car (A Sports Racer), and a nurse named Marsha. I have very few details to share about the Atlantic race or the competitors, beyond any I have previously mentioned. Tom Shelton's RT-4 is one that I had a hand in repairing before his 1982 season began, that's about it.

Andrew Bernstein
Attached Thumbnails
FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 4.jpg   FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 5.jpg   FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 6.jpg  

FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 7.jpg  
Old 16 Apr 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2442584)   #52
RJ Nelkin
Rookie

United States
Sevierville, tennessee USA
RJ Nelkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RJ Nelkin "GREEN" 80a

I drove the ONLY Nelkin Racing Green GELCOAT 80a in the USA fron Doug Shierson ONLY time @ 3 Rivers trois rivieres ONLY all our other races were Can-Am T-530........Dale lang's ONLY Atlantic car was RED GELCOAT..RJ
Old 16 Apr 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2442587)   #53
RJ Nelkin
Rookie

United States
Ralph also had other March's in the late 70's.........And ask him about the CHAMPAIGNE CORKS !!!!!!!!.................RJ NELKIN
Old 17 Apr 2009, 05:35 (Ref:2442741)   #54
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the end, the man who's question started this thread has received the exact information he was seeking. I again apologize to you Mr. Nelkin, for questioning your account of events that I never took part in.

Nearly everything I have written can be supported as fact by other people I have named, which is one reason I go to such excruciating length to name them.

If recollection of details that were peripheral to me have been discolored by the time that has passed, my apology for not doing a better job. That's all I got, ten tenths.

There is a little piece of me in that particular car: the opposite is true as well. Anyone who has lived through a similar chapter in their life knows exactly what I am talking about.

Too bad about those drivers' meetings I missed, I'm also a fan of Champagne and would have enjoyed popping a few corks with you.

Andrew Bernstein
Old 17 Apr 2009, 05:58 (Ref:2442750)   #55
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
More from the 1982 SCCA Formula Atlantic Championship race, courtesy of Mr. Clarke W. Nicholls. With no details to offer, I'll let the pictures do the talking for a change.

I have yet to spot myself in any of the stacks old images, so I included a recent one taken while test driving the best riding Jaguar around.

Andrew Bernstein
Attached Thumbnails
FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 8.jpg   FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 9.jpg   FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 11.jpg  

FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 12.jpg   The best riding Jag around....jpg  
Old 19 Apr 2009, 17:26 (Ref:2444843)   #56
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Rounding out the field

Greetings Chris,

Here are the remainder of the photos I have from the 1982 SCCA F/A race at Road Atlanta. Thanks again to photographer Clarke W. Nicholls.

I am unable to view the documents you sent: my old computer has no space for elaborate programs, packed as it is with Jaguar information for my work. I will review the grid sheets you have and comment if necessary, if I ever get a chance to read them.

One thing I would like you to post, and Bruin may appreciate it as well, are the race results and final region standings of Phipp's 1981 SCCA and CASC competition in the March 80A. I thought he won the top spot in the SCCA Northeast season's tally, but that could be more wish and less whoosh. Thanks again and best wishes,

Andrew Bernstein
Attached Thumbnails
FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 13.jpg   FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 14.jpg   FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 15.jpg  

FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 16.jpg   FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 17.jpg   FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 18.jpg  

Old 19 Apr 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2444846)   #57
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Tale ender

Here's the last one from me. This has been great fun, now I'm off to chase another tale. Tiga tail, to be accurate.

What beautiful machines these are. And the diversity of chassis on a level playing field made it so much more interesting, Driftwood reminded me of that.

Andrew Bernstein
Attached Thumbnails
FA 1982 SCCA Runoffs 19.jpg  
Old 20 Apr 2009, 14:57 (Ref:2445583)   #58
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Greetings Chris,

One thing I would like you to post, and Bruin may appreciate it as well, are the race results and final region standings of Phipp's 1981 SCCA and CASC competition in the March 80A. I thought he won the top spot in the SCCA Northeast season's tally, but that could be more wish and less whoosh. Thanks again and best wishes,

Andrew Bernstein
As requested:
This is not a complete list I think:
Phipps finished second to Joe Nastasi in the SCCA NE division [61 pts to Nastasi's 69]
W. Palm Beach, result unknown
Charlotte 29 March, result unknown but 4th at best [1st Steve Shelton; 2nd Castellano; 3rd Fassler]
Mexico City pro 5 April: 9th
Mid Ohio 10 May: 2nd
Summit Pt 17 May: 1st
Loudon 24 May: 1st
Mosport 13 June pro: retired
Watkins Glen 21 June: 2nd
Mid Ohio 28 June pro: 11th
Lime Rock 4 July: 3rd
Elkhart Lake 26 July pro: 9th
Pocono 1 August result unknown but 4th at best [1st Nastasi; 2nd Fassler; 3rd Connolly RT4]
Pocono 2 August result unknown but 4th at best [1st Nastasi; 2nd Castellano; 3rd Fassler]
Summit Point 9 August 1st
Edmonton 16 August pro: Retired [debut RT4]
Westwood 23 August pro: 4th [RT4]
Trois Rivieres 6 Sept pro: Retired [RT4]
Montreal 26 Sept pro: 17th RT4
ARRC 25 Oct: 1st [RT4]
Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2445677)   #59
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
"Late" breaking news

Thank you for posting the details, my apology and belated congratulations to Joe Nastasi!

That's an excellent history for bruin to carry with him as he continues in his efforts.

The only clarification I can add are two points I have previously mentioned:

West Palm Beach DNF spin
Mosport pro DNF contact

Andrew Bernstein
Old 22 Apr 2009, 18:04 (Ref:2447185)   #60
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more I look at my 80A the more I realise it seems absolutely factory stock - it has absolutely no updates whatsoever - chassis, body, suspension etc all appear as ex-factory. I have also learnt that Anson built the last fifteen 80 series tubs "a real speed is all deal" no glue, cheap ally, get the bits out the door, get paid and move on.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 16:01 (Ref:2448714)   #61
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
tube of glue in the post to you courtesy of gary anderson
Old 15 May 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2463146)   #62
RJ Nelkin
Rookie

United States
[QUOTE=bruin;2441076]this is the car as run at Phillip Island historics in march, we had UK driver Paul Campfelid driving it[/QUOTE

Photo looks GREAT....................Brings me back to the olds days....Perhaps I will buy back (1) OF MY OLD CARS AND DO Vintage Racing.....RJ
Old 4 Jul 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2495818)   #63
Texan
Rookie

Texan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would you be able to tell me the driver, owner or chassis number of the 81A with the car number 1 in your photos.
Thanks,
Rusty Tanner
Old 6 Jul 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2496454)   #64
driftwood
Veteran

i have found in my fathers shed ( god knows where he got them from!) some new FT200side plates for sale marked in black pen 81a 2 poss 3 pairs for sale
and maybe the end cover with oil pump take offs x 3 units
Old 6 Jul 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2496622)   #65
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Would you be able to tell me the driver, owner or chassis number of the 81A with the car number 1 in your photos.
Thanks,
Rusty Tanner
Rusty
I think it's James Allan Michelet and the car was usually described as an 80A-X or as the 80A development model [suggesting prototype 81A]

Michelet ran in SCCA Delta region, based in Houston I think
Had the car in 81 and 82

Chris
Old 6 Jul 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2496675)   #66
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris, didn't Phil Dowsett get the prototype 81A? Or am I into the March 'U', 'R', 'T' thing again...

Did it go out East after 1981 here?
Old 6 Jul 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2496712)   #67
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Dan

You are right, it was said to be the 81A prototype, but that car, now in Australia, looks to have a clear provenance and has 81A-15 on the plate. That wouldn't stop it from being the prototype, since March might well have renumbered it as the last car in the build run once its testing days were over.

Michelet's car perhaps more likely to be the 80A development car, and it would be pretty easy to fit 81A bodywork, especially if the car didn't actually sell until late on in 1980.
Old 9 Jul 2009, 00:47 (Ref:2498065)   #68
Texan
Rookie

Texan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris,
Thanks for the response. As I carefully read the thread after I asked the question, I did see that info. I am still working on the 81A histories, and that car did not seem to fit.
Thanks again,
Rusty
Old 24 Jul 2009, 06:32 (Ref:2506988)   #69
AndrewR
Rookie

United States
West Palm Beach, FL.
AndrewR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys. I've been a member here for a good while but only occasionally lurk the Sportscar and GT forum.

Anyway, I started a March 80A restoration in February. Peter Lerch's to be specific. While doing an internet search for "Peter Lerch March 80A" (primarily out of curiosity) this topic was on the first page of results. It was interesting reading this conversation. Work has slowed down so I haven't been to the shop in a while. When I am up there I often see Paul Fassler. He stops in most afternoons. I also occasionally run into Joe Stimola.

I was polishing the rear wheels and noticed something I found a little funny. Nearly each wheel has a different name etched into it. Fassler, Lerch and Phipps.

taken with my cellphone
Old 24 Jul 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2507046)   #70
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
Hi guys. I've been a member here for a good while but only occasionally lurk the Sportscar and GT forum.

Anyway, I started a March 80A restoration in February. Peter Lerch's to be specific. While doing an internet search for "Peter Lerch March 80A" (primarily out of curiosity) this topic was on the first page of results. It was interesting reading this conversation. Work has slowed down so I haven't been to the shop in a while. When I am up there I often see Paul Fassler. He stops in most afternoons. I also occasionally run into Joe Stimola.

I was polishing the rear wheels and noticed something I found a little funny. Nearly each wheel has a different name etched into it. Fassler, Lerch and Phipps.

taken with my cellphone

Welcome to this neck of the woods, Andrew
Can you fill in any details on the Lerch car?
Was it the 1980 Opert car?
What happened to it after Lerch in 1981-82?
Chassis number and plate details?
Currently known to survive are chassis 6 [last seen Albuquerque 1999]; 7; 8; 9; 10; 11; 12; 16; 20; 21

Chris
Old 24 Jul 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2507225)   #71
AndrewR
Rookie

United States
West Palm Beach, FL.
AndrewR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Welcome to this neck of the woods, Andrew
Can you fill in any details on the Lerch car?
Currently known to survive are chassis 6 [last seen Albuquerque 1999]; 7; 8; 9; 10; 11; 12; 16; 20; 21

Chris
I can't tell you who was the original owner or driver of the car. I did talk to Joe Stimola back in Feb or March about it. He thought Danny Sullivan drove it at Long Beach in '81, but from what I have seen he drove a Ralt.

Lerch has owned it ever since. It has spent many years in a garage getting filthy and being a home for rats. When I was cleaning up the chassis I found a lot of fiberglass and foam insulation in one of the voids in the back and nibble marks on most of the rubber grommets in the chassis. Someone about 10-15 (maybe more) years ago started a restoration on it. Who ever this was clearly didn't know what they were doing.

The chassis number is 80A-24.

I don't know of any other details. I'll see if I can get back up to the shop in the next week or so and have a look for any other stamps on the chassis or plate. The chassis # is all I can make out of my picture which I took 5 months ago.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 16:49 (Ref:2507239)   #72
driftwood
Veteran

is the march 80A tub same as 78 79B Tub?
Old 24 Jul 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2507310)   #73
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
I can't tell you who was the original owner or driver of the car. I did talk to Joe Stimola back in Feb or March about it. He thought Danny Sullivan drove it at Long Beach in '81, but from what I have seen he drove a Ralt.

The chassis number is 80A-24.

I don't know of any other details. I'll see if I can get back up to the shop in the next week or so and have a look for any other stamps on the chassis or plate. The chassis # is all I can make out of my picture which I took 5 months ago.
Andrew, Sullivan drove the Opert 80A at Long Beach in 1980, so that would figure with what Stimola said.

If you see Joe again, it would be great to know what happened to his archive. I suspect his period documents would be very useful to a historian!

The other stamps on the plate should be the total number in the March build run since 1969 and the number in the year build of all models

Chris
Old 25 Jul 2009, 00:38 (Ref:2507439)   #74
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Drifty, I can't sat with 100% certainty but from memory the 80A tub was signifigantly different than its predecessors. Back in the day, there were never 79's or earlier running around with 80 bodywork.

Andrew, please relay my regards to your new acquaintances, from an old one of theirs. And please, if the car is still painted in that hideous orange and white, could you give it a new livery????

Andrew Bernstein
Old 8 Jan 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2610171)   #75
Kim Jones
Rookie

Kim Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rear uprights for march 80A

Hi all
Im looking for some rear uprights for my car ch #9
The car is coming along well I have attached a photo. if some one can help i would appreciate it. Im also looking
for photos and info from 1980 the car was driven by John Mortensen.
Regards
Kim
Attached Thumbnails
tp car 041.jpg