Not a title sponsor, but a great step forward for the team:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle5980935.ece

It's all starting to come together nicely
Old 26 Mar 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2425273)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Not a bad start is it.

Which perhaps gives some indication of where next seasons budget may come from,particularly if the team does well.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2425386)   #3
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More here http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73920
Old 26 Mar 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2425445)   #4
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know around 100 friends who were told they were being made redundant today who will be less than pleased by this news.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2425457)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof14 View Post
I know around 100 friends who were told they were being made redundant today who will be less than pleased by this news.
Why so ?
Old 26 Mar 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2425463)   #6
kristof14
Veteran

They all work in Virgin Media, the entire department has apparently been closed to save costs. Whilst only a small part of Virgin it can be frustrating to lose your job just as you parent company is about to announce it's going to spend millions sponsoring a couple of cars.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2425465)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof14 View Post
They all work in Virgin Media, the entire department has apparently been closed to save costs. Whilst only a small part of Virgin it can be frustrating to lose your job just as you parent company is about to announce it's going to spend millions sponsoring a couple of cars.
That's really sad to hear.But I assume that Virgin are putting money into F1 in order to get a bigger return from it.That's how it's supposed to work at any rate.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2425468)   #8
kristof14
Veteran

I understand why Virgin are doing it, F1 is still one of the best places to advertise.

Just see it in a bit of a different way when it hits a bit closer to home!
Old 26 Mar 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2425498)   #9
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also find this news concerning, considering how many Virgin Media staff are at risk of redundancy at the moment. The Virgin brand has stayed away from F1 because it was not considered cost effective. Whats Changed?
Old 26 Mar 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2425502)   #10
JasagRacer
Rookie

England
Woodford Halse & Duquesa, Southern Spain
JasagRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You think the media game is having rough times; try working in the construction industry; I have for 37 years and am hanging onto my job by my fingernails. Try getting another job when you are too old, too experienced, too qualified and have been well paid! You are likely to be better than the people interviewing you who will end up looking over their shoulder for their jobs if they employ you.

Anyway, Branson is no fool when it comes to publicity. He didn't end up having very successful companies by being an idiot.
I am sorry that people in Virgin have lost their jobs, but lets see what happens with Branson and Brawn GP.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2425503)   #11
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats changed is Lewis mania, BBC coverage and increased popularity of F1 in the UK.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2425564)   #12
Daniel Pinnegar
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton UK
Daniel Pinnegar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just glad that the medium to long-term future of Brawn GP is secured for the time being.

Don't get me wrong it's horrible for the guys and gals at Virgin that have lost their jobs but this recession will be over in a few years...at least I hope so. I'll just be getting out of University then. :P
Old 26 Mar 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2425566)   #13
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
I also find this news concerning, considering how many Virgin Media staff are at risk of redundancy at the moment. The Virgin brand has stayed away from F1 because it was not considered cost effective. Whats Changed?
Branson doesn't own the team and has no liabilities. The team has saved itself so he can no do a nice, low-risk sponsorship deal instead.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 26 Mar 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2425569)   #14
Daniel Pinnegar
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton UK
Daniel Pinnegar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, I guess that Branson's plans of starting his own team can materialise from here on in.

He said something like, he wants alot to change before he gets properly into F1! I'm assuming he can make more of an impact being on the inside now!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2425908)   #15
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having read Tom Bower's book about Branson, I'd be very wary of any business dealings with him....
Old 27 Mar 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2425932)   #16
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good start for Brawn GP. Maybe a sponsorship to provide Virgin the opportunity to buy the team at a later date?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2426841)   #17
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe even within the next month or so:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73974

Personally I'd rather it'd become "Virgin Brawn GP" rather than "Virgin GP". But that's because I'm a saddo with overly romantic notions of a "privateer" team topping the timesheets
Old 28 Mar 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2426904)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Somehow I wonder if BrawnGP will be able to get a 2nd name change up inside a month, with the diffuser issue, and a bloody outstanding competitive qualifying performance... there may be some sooky lalas in the paddock who wont let it happen

Mr Brawn's name is above the door because he owns the team. Its not just because he heads a great team of engineers.

The Virgin signage on the BrawnGP car is actually small relative to the hype surrounding the addition. Maybe STG4m a year at a rough guess?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2426908)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I would prefer to see the team stay as Brawn Grand Prix...The Virgin involvement is great, but it's Ross Brawn's team now..
Old 28 Mar 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2426929)   #20
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Judging by the size and placement of the Virgin logos I'd say the total value of the sponsorship deal is not that big and far less than would buy naming rights. The Bridgestone logo on the front of the car is far more prominent.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 09:52 (Ref:2426953)   #21
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Having read Tom Bower's book about Branson, I'd be very wary of any business dealings with him....
Just like every other big businessman (and banker) out here then...
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2426957)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard View Post
Personally I'd rather it'd become "Virgin Brawn GP" rather than "Virgin GP". But that's because I'm a saddo with overly romantic notions of a "privateer" team topping the timesheets
Totally agree.

Anything more, such as a Virgin taking over the name of the team, would require 100% consent from the other teams. There may have been a massive feel-good attitude towards Brawn so far, but I don't think the honeymoon will last as long as that.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2427034)   #23
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
The BBC commentary did say this weekend's arrangement was an "interim" agreement while negotiations continue. I wonder if Ross is cannily running this weekend's unique situation as a sort of loss leader for a really major tie up? He's not playing anybody off against Branson, deffo one to keep a close eye on.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2427058)   #24
ukaskew
Racer

ukaskew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Judging by the size and placement of the Virgin logos I'd say the total value of the sponsorship deal is not that big and far less than would buy naming rights. The Bridgestone logo on the front of the car is far more prominent.
As far as I'm aware this is only an interim 'solution' to the last minute nature of everything, I wouldn't be surprised if a completely re-branded car appears by next weekend.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2427085)   #25
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaskew View Post
As far as I'm aware this is only an interim 'solution' to the last minute nature of everything, I wouldn't be surprised if a completely re-branded car appears by next weekend.
Even an interim solution (using the same decals) could have given the Virgin brand more prominence on the car.