Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2009, 10:34 (Ref:2426989)   #1
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Brawn GP become Mercedes Virgin GP

If McLaren are going to go back to the good old Mansell/Andretti years where they were less then competitive against Williams/Benetton/Ferrari etc what are the chances of Mercedes taking some sort of name sponsorship of the soon to be Virgin Racing?

As far as i am aware it was Brawn GP, with no mention of Mercedes in the teams name?

What share of McLaren does Mercedes have?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2427023)   #2
Eurosnob
Rookie

Eurosnob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Brawn become...?

If the price is right I'm sure it could become your Aunt Martha. So yes, for enough $$$.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2427074)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As far as i am aware it was Brawn GP, with no mention of Mercedes in the teams name?
But the graphics have been showing Brawn-Mercedes.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2427082)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
But the graphics have been showing Brawn-Mercedes.
Just like it shows Red Bull as RBR-Renault and Force India as Force India-Mercedes. It's team name - engine.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 28 Mar 2009, 14:19 (Ref:2427113)   #5
calibrax
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rochester, Kent
calibrax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The standard format is title sponsor/constructor/engine, i.e. Vodafone McLaren Mercedes. So, if anything, it will be Virgin Brawn Mercedes. Which makes Ross look like he's never had a woman!
Old 28 Mar 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2427231)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think with enough money Brawn will be willing to drop his name. Right now it seems this is being discussed. Virgin Mercedes might be the official name by 4 weeks time.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2427268)   #7
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brawn did say in the coverage that the name wasn't great and it just kind of happened.

But I don't think I would like Virgin GP any more!
Old 28 Mar 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2427398)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The thing that is relevant is changes in ownership, and such. Clearly, a name is only a name (makes no difference if the name changes but ownership doesn't). I doubt Brawn is precious about the name, but I wouldn't even begin to guess at his thoughts RE ownership.

As far as Mercedes dumping Mclaren? It is surely possible, but they'd have to find buyers for their shares (and I find it unlikely they will leave, anyway). I know Mercedes were at 40% once, but them upto 60% now is rattling around in my head. Anyone got a clear idea? I cannot see Mercedes going to title naming with Brawn as long as they are so intertwined with Mclaren (it wouldn't exactly go down well, would it?).
Old 28 Mar 2009, 22:53 (Ref:2427420)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Look at all those cookoos in that land.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 00:27 (Ref:2428553)   #10
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mercedes own 40% of McLaren.
Ron an Ojeh hold 15% each and the Saudi company hold 30%

I could see a partially subsidised engine deal for 2009 if McLaren lags a bit in development but really McLaren were sublime with Hamilton in Australia, got the most out of the package
Old 30 Mar 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2428562)   #11
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
Correct. The team's name is Brawn GP Formula One Team.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 00:43 (Ref:2428563)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope virgin come up with a good paint job - those brawn cars needs one quickly...
Old 30 Mar 2009, 01:50 (Ref:2428599)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I always want to know why names end up so complicated. Brawn GP (or just Brawn) would be so much better than Brawn GP Formula One Team.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 05:18 (Ref:2428670)   #14
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about;

An offal purveyer

An innovative Branson brand using an abbreviation of the broader image

The team principal

Brain V Brawn!

I'll get me coat.....
Old 30 Mar 2009, 05:26 (Ref:2428672)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
I hope virgin come up with a good paint job - those brawn cars needs one quickly...
I really like the current livery!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2428718)   #16
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Me too! Best looking car by quite a long shot, for me!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2428723)   #17
ThaRobster
Rookie

ThaRobster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Agreed, I really like it too. Plus, I'm not sure the grid needs yet another predominantly white and red car. Am I the only one who'd has enough of that? Marlboro McLaren, then Ferrari, now Vodafone (and still Marlboro sponsor Ferrari), can we have something different?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2428747)   #18
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Mercedes Virgin? Sounds like a character in one of those films Jacqui Smith's husband enjoys so much.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 23:54 (Ref:2436328)   #19
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just browsing through SBK pics and it occured to me that Brawn's livery is actually very very similar to Hannspree Ten Kate Honda's!
Here is Carlos Checa:

Old 7 Apr 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2436330)   #20
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May be it's not a coincidence, similar livery and Honda
Old 8 Apr 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2436353)   #21
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Forget Virgin for the moment, perhaps now would be a good time for Ross Brawn to pick up the phone to Mr Vodafone, to see if he would consider becoming the Brawn GP title sponsor? As I said in another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Regardless of how McLaren are punished by the FIA, how are they going to be punished by their sponsors? Are Vodafone going to continue funding a team which seems to attract an extraordinary amount of bad press? Yes they have the 2008 World Champion on board, but perhaps Brawn GP have the 2009 World Champion on board...?
Old 8 Apr 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2436466)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
I like the paint job, it's those awful wheel covers i can't stand! Black, maybe, but yellow? No way!!
Old 8 Apr 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2436623)   #23
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I like the paint job, it's those awful wheel covers i can't stand! Black, maybe, but yellow? No way!!
My feelings exactly.
The wheel covers are just too much.
But for the livery as a whole I quite like it. It certainly stands out on the track there's no mistake.

On the re-name thread.
Going back many years didn't Lotus re-name their cars JPS?
And no-one took a blind bit of notice continuing to call them Team Lotus or at best JPS Team Lotus.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2436686)   #24
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it means Brawn get a bit more money, I hope they do get renamed. I would quite happily see them as "Virgin Vodafone IGN Costa WHSMITH - Mercedes" if it gave them a nice fat tasty budget to stay competitive with.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2437236)   #25
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's in a name? and I like the livery too, and the wheel covers. nice to see a touch of flair!