Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Sep 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3852381)   #1226
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
... Did you write the strongly worded letter
Ha, no, but outside of our safe place (TenTenths), there seems to be more annoyance on social media towards the BTCC than in recent years and it looks like spectator and viewer figures are down year on year.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3852384)   #1227
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Ha, no, but outside of our safe place (TenTenths), there seems to be more annoyance on social media towards the BTCC than in recent years and it looks like spectator and viewer figures are down year on year.
That's interesting to know, especially with the season having so many different race winners, I wonder what the reasons are for this?
Old 24 Sep 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3852388)   #1228
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Must say this has possibly been one of the dullest years for me watching. I can't put my finger on why tho
Old 24 Sep 2018, 13:09 (Ref:3852393)   #1229
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Can't speak to the stats, but the whole annoyance/anger thing on social media platforms is perhaps more of an indicator that (a) the entirety of the UK is 'angry' at the moment, about things other than motorsport and (b) being annoyed on social media has become so normalised that some people seem utterly incapable of being anything else.

Sooner or later every lovely clear pool of happiness gets polluted, so maybe it's our turn...
Old 24 Sep 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3852424)   #1230
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
That's interesting to know, especially with the season having so many different race winners, I wonder what the reasons are for this?
It's not a case of people aren't complaining despite having so many different race winners, they are complaining because there are so many different race winners.

ITV did a story early in the Silverstone coverage. Don't know if the story was a response to a groundswell of opinion or if this has started to come up because of that story.

The complaint is that it's become too much of a lottery. Success ballast has been a thing for 20 or so years, and I think most people accept that. It's become common place in a number of series now. However BTCC also has but random draw reverse grids and option tyres. Is someone winning this week because they are the best driver in the best car, or simply because they have no ballast, got lucky in the grid draw, and are on the preferred tyres?

Then of course, there's the tin-foil hat brigade, who believe that Alan Gow personally sabotages the car of any driver he doesn't like.
Old 24 Sep 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3852432)   #1231
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Exactly. I tried explaining it all to some American friends (big NASCAR and IndyCar fans) and they thought I was being a stoopid Brit and on the wind up.

It is an odd concept, I likened it to Golf handicaps a little, but of course no one straps a large weight to the winner of the last rounds clubs...
Old 24 Sep 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3852456)   #1232
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Exactly. I tried explaining it all to some American friends (big NASCAR and IndyCar fans) and they thought I was being a stoopid Brit and on the wind up.

It is an odd concept, I likened it to Golf handicaps a little, but of course no one straps a large weight to the winner of the last rounds clubs...
not an odd concept at all. what do you think they have been doing with horse racing since 1855 (just looked it up )? it’s called a weight handicap so that the same horses don’t win every race and the results don’t become very predictable.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3852614)   #1233
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a big fan of the different tyre compounds personally but it does get people talking and noticing the tyres which is what Dunlop want.

Always a lot of people saying it should be down to the best cars and teams without success ballast etc but we know from F1 that the general public hate the same teams/drivers winning over and over.

Can't please all the people all the time but social media gives a very big platform to what may well be tiny minorities.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3852627)   #1234
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Its a little odd though how they have gone about the "equalization". The intial genesis of the NGTC project was to provide an equal platform for teams to build their cars so that they couldn't engineer their way to success by massive spending. Then they go ahead and introduce performance balancing anyway in the form of weight handicaps and engine balancing. So in that respect, why bother with the NGTC mandatory subframes aspect because they balance the cars anyway.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3852640)   #1235
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Its a little odd though how they have gone about the "equalization". The intial genesis of the NGTC project was to provide an equal platform for teams to build their cars so that they couldn't engineer their way to success by massive spending. Then they go ahead and introduce performance balancing anyway in the form of weight handicaps and engine balancing. So in that respect, why bother with the NGTC mandatory subframes aspect because they balance the cars anyway.
but equalisation of power and performance was all part of the NGTC concept right from the get-go.

what i dont get is that btcc has about 30 cars of all different types that are qualifying within less than a second of each other and giving us some of the closest racing in the history of the btcc with the biggest grids for decades and some enthusiasts think thats a negative? others series would kill for such a thing.
Old 25 Sep 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3852677)   #1236
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'm just not a fan of the mandatory subframes or the flawed suspension design.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3852728)   #1237
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
not an odd concept at all. what do you think they have been doing with horse racing since 1855 (just looked it up )? it’s called a weight handicap so that the same horses don’t win every race and the results don’t become very predictable.
Sod it. Let's go full-Japan and do 94 kgs of ballast like in SuperGT.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 09:49 (Ref:3852737)   #1238
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From reading this it looking there is no Rob Collard this weekend - https://www.wsr-racing.com/team-bmw-title-decider - Ricky Collard is in the car again.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3852753)   #1239
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Remember those family commitments that meant Michael Caine had to stand down from BTCC duties?
https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...-brands-hatch/

They say Motorbase is like a family
Old 26 Sep 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3852757)   #1240
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The #Shredded livery looks great, though.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 13:12 (Ref:3852768)   #1241
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Remember those family commitments that meant Michael Caine had to stand down from BTCC duties?

Yeah it was odd having a family commitment every remaining race weekend

Tony Gilham approved this one then? 😉
Old 26 Sep 2018, 13:51 (Ref:3852778)   #1242
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

Dave Bartrum (Feb 2018) - 'All I wish to say is that loyalty and integrity are the main qualities that I look for, both in business and friendship'

Tony Gilham (Jan 2018) - 'We have been working with [Caine] and his partners to bring a season-long challenge together.'
Old 26 Sep 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3852779)   #1243
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So any more confirmation on Ricky being in the BMW instead of Rob?
Old 26 Sep 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3852784)   #1244
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So any more confirmation on Ricky being in the BMW instead of Rob?
https://www.wsr-racing.com/team-bmw-title-decider

'Colin will be partnered by BMW Motorsport Junior Ricky Collard, who claimed a magnificent front-row start last time out at Silverstone and followed that up with a maiden podium finish and the Jack Sears Trophy for the event.

The driver from Eversley, Hampshire, continues to substitute for his father Rob, who has sat out the final four rounds of the season as he recovers from a concussion sustained at Snetterton.'
Old 26 Sep 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3852802)   #1245
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hopefully he can continue where he left off at Silverstone. Does make me wonder what the future of Rob will be
Old 26 Sep 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3852825)   #1246
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'm just not a fan of the mandatory subframes or the flawed suspension design.
But probably THE reason for the close racing.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 20:22 (Ref:3852854)   #1247
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I'm hoping Rob isn't done, I don't imagine for one minute he will retire unless he receives medical advice to do so. Fingers crossed we'll see him back bright eyed and bushy tailed next year.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 22:06 (Ref:3852865)   #1248
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get me wrong, it'd be sad to see Rob go and I've loads of respect for him and wish him all the best but in a way it's very interesting to see how Ricky goes in the BTCC and it'd be exciting to have him in BMW next year.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 22:59 (Ref:3852873)   #1249
3marinadrive
Rookie

3marinadrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Yeah it was odd having a family commitment every remaining race weekend

Tony Gilham approved this one then? 😉
He's a big boy not like Jake who is a little boy.....

Mr. Gilham was working with an experienced professional with Mr. Caine...all the other boys driving for him in 2018 were in a very different place....

Michael knows his shizzle....

He didn't have a contract unlike Jake......

Jake and Mike and Bobby...very different.

Mike is on board again for 2019 ...he now works full time for Team HARD...as in he sets up his own car etc....

Notice how Bobby's sponsors are now Team HARD's sponsors too...

Mr. Gilham is VERY clever.

He is probably the best salesman ever.

He knows how to make people believe in the dream.

Shame he doesn't know how to look after his team...

That would explain why at least 10 of his staff now work for AmD

RCIB left..

Lets see who leaves next?

If you treat people like sh*t tHEY will LEAVE!!!
Old 27 Sep 2018, 07:28 (Ref:3852891)   #1250
S griffin
Veteran

TG is not the worse team boss we have had in the BTCC, he has some nice ideas, it's just they don't seem to end well usually