Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Mar 2018, 00:54 (Ref:3811650)   #51
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Channel 9 just picked up the Australian Open tennis rights from 2020. Two things, i wonder if this is to safe guard any loss of the cricket and secondly perhaps that frees up money for Seven to have a crack at the Supercars?
Old 29 Mar 2018, 01:02 (Ref:3811653)   #52
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Channel 9 just picked up the Australian Open tennis rights from 2020. Two things, i wonder if this is to safe guard any loss of the cricket and secondly perhaps that frees up money for Seven to have a crack at the Supercars?
That would be a significant time conflict if they have both during the Aust Open
Old 29 Mar 2018, 07:35 (Ref:3811685)   #53
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Given what Foxtel spent, i doubt any FTA networks will have enough money to take the main rights off Foxtel, and would a station like Channel 7 (or Ch9) be interested in the scraps which Channel 10 were willing to buy in the 2015 deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
That would be a significant time conflict if they have both during the Aust Open
The test matches are over by then, and every chance the one dayers and twenty/20's will be Foxtel entities by then as well.
Old 30 Mar 2018, 04:52 (Ref:3811849)   #54
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Why is it a conflict?

As mentioned it’s only ODIs and T20 with the use of digital channels on the 9 platform - they could hold a large portion of the sporting market
Old 30 Mar 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3811893)   #55
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Given what Foxtel spent, i doubt any FTA networks will have enough money to take the main rights off Foxtel, and would a station like Channel 7 (or Ch9) be interested in the scraps which Channel 10 were willing to buy in the 2015 deal?
Don't forget that deal happened while Ten has in deep crap, Foxtel took control of their advertising department, and bought them out of a year's commitment for showing the F1 in full, so I am not sure Ten was even a willing participant at the time!
Old 1 Apr 2018, 09:51 (Ref:3812232)   #56
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Why is it a conflict?

As mentioned it’s only ODIs and T20 with the use of digital channels on the 9 platform - they could hold a large portion of the sporting market
The Aus Open gets wall to wall coverage, 9 will have had to match that IMHO, no room for cricket too.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3812437)   #57
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven’t lived in Australia for more than 5 years now, so I’m sure I missed something on the NBN story... but honestly it can’t be that hard to cover the majority of the population. I spent Easter in Exmoor National Park, in the absolute middle of nowhere. I was woken up each day by the sounds of sheep. And yet I had wireless internet download speed of 60mbps, and similar speed on 4G.

So anyway, yes I want my Supercars streaming in 4K.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 01:46 (Ref:3812577)   #58
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
I haven’t lived in Australia for more than 5 years now, so I’m sure I missed something on the NBN story...
You're missing nothing as far as the NBN is concerned, it's a disgrace. I live in a major city, and have the NBN as there is no other options. I have just received a letter and an offer from my IP as they have admitted that they cannot offer anywhere near the speeds that I am paying for under the current technology. I have been offered a compensation cheque for $100, plus the ability to get out of my contract and enter into a new contract that reflects the capabilities of the you beaut NBN we have at our disposal.

Malcolm Turnbull installed a substandard internet for his mate Rupert to protect his subscription TV business in return for some lovely headlines looking after the Libs.

PS: It's midday, I'm the only one here right now, and my internet speed test indicates I am getting 13 mbps.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 02:13 (Ref:3812581)   #59
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You're missing nothing as far as the NBN is concerned, it's a disgrace. I live in a major city, and have the NBN as there is no other options. I have just received a letter and an offer from my IP as they have admitted that they cannot offer anywhere near the speeds that I am paying for under the current technology. I have been offered a compensation cheque for $100, plus the ability to get out of my contract and enter into a new contract that reflects the capabilities of the you beaut NBN we have at our disposal.

Malcolm Turnbull installed a substandard internet for his mate Rupert to protect his subscription TV business in return for some lovely headlines looking after the Libs.

PS: It's midday, I'm the only one here right now, and my internet speed test indicates I am getting 13 mbps.
And to think this isn't an outgoing infrastructure but one in the middle of its roll-out. Our only hope is that mobile broadband, namely future 5G becomes cheap enough to be viable for heavy use for home down the line because the common 10-40mbit down and importantly half that upload speed hardly cuts it now let alone 10 years down the line, especially with cloud services becoming a lot more commonplace.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 03:49 (Ref:3812583)   #60
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
We're screwed. The PM has sold us a pooch to benefit an American billionaire. We are behind Kazakhstan for internet speed for Christ's sake, Borat must be wrapt.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 04:11 (Ref:3812584)   #61
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
We're screwed. The PM has sold us a pooch to benefit an American billionaire. We are behind Kazakhstan for internet speed for Christ's sake, Borat must be wrapt.
average internet speed in Kazakhstan 6.4 Mbps
average internet speed in Australia 8.2Mbps

someone sold you a pooch

combined that someone spent billions to get an american Billionaire who invests significantly in australian sport a benefit is really cuckoo conspiracy theory, #tinfoilhat

Last edited by peckstar; 3 Apr 2018 at 04:17.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 04:18 (Ref:3812585)   #62
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

someone sold you a pooch
Point taken.We are on par with third world countries.The NBN is a disgrace and it one we are stuck with.Domestic users are the least affected.Businesses whose business is based around high speed internet are screwed.If you watched last year's 4 Corners doco on this turkey you would have seen the long term implications of having low grade 20th century technology in the 21st century.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 04:20 (Ref:3812586)   #63
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
the thing that i am most disspointed about with the current media deal is that i expected the end of time certain races, especially with none FTA events.

Instead the times seem to have got tighter, Im hoping they can improve on this. I undertand it for big issues, but on the Saturday they will have 11 minutes of room left for any issues.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 04:25 (Ref:3812587)   #64
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Point taken.We are on par with third world countries.The NBN is a disgrace and it one we are stuck with.Domestic users are the least affected.Businesses whose business is based around high speed internet are screwed.If you watched last year's 4 Corners doco on this turkey you would have seen the long term implications of having low grade 20th century technology in the 21st century.
No, we are above average on fixed line in one of the biggest and scarcest countries int he world (this is important)

We are the 7th best on Mobile (and the best if you are on the Gold Coast)

however im sure there are forums where self entitled internet freaks can go and discuss internet speeds, this is a motorsport forum
Old 3 Apr 2018, 05:15 (Ref:3812588)   #65
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
We are the 7th best on Mobile (and the best if you are on the Gold Coast)
Sorry Peckie. Come for a drive with me around the coast and check the Mobile blind spots.

If you are talking about the very limmited spots supposedly getting 5k (Broadbeach and Surfers) that is only servicing the area where the press are gathered for the giant schemozle that is being inflicted upon us by the status seeking politicians.

By the way I live near Bond Uni in an area once dubbed as the high tech area of the Coast. NBN has just arrived and is no faster than the ol ADSL.
Lot of empty office blocks where phone companies, IPs etc have moved out.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 06:22 (Ref:3812589)   #66
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not sure where you get your figures from or when, but several sources conflict with your figures.

https://finance.nine.com.au/2018/01/...places-to-55th

Quote:
A monthly ranking by the Speedtest Global Index placed Australia at number 55 for fixed broadband speeds in the world for December 2017, with an average download speed of 25.88 Megabits per second (Mbps).

One place above with 25.96 Mbps was Kazakhstan and one place below was the United Arab Emirates with 25.69 Mbps.
Australian Fixed Internet Speeds Are Seriously Slow Compared To The Rest Of The World

The average download speed globally is 40.71 Mbps – while Singapore topped the list with an impressive 161.21 Mbps.

Even New Zealand boast internet speeds more than twice as fast as Aus., with a download speed of 64.31 Mbps.

I wish I could get 25mbs downloads, and I have NBN tier 50 which is meant to give me a guaranteed 40mbs down.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 07:03 (Ref:3812590)   #67
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Not sure where you get your figures from or when, but several sources conflict with your figures.

https://finance.nine.com.au/2018/01/...places-to-55th

Australian Fixed Internet Speeds Are Seriously Slow Compared To The Rest Of The World

The average download speed globally is 40.71 Mbps – while Singapore topped the list with an impressive 161.21 Mbps.

Even New Zealand boast internet speeds more than twice as fast as Aus., with a download speed of 64.31 Mbps.

I wish I could get 25mbs downloads, and I have NBN tier 50 which is meant to give me a guaranteed 40mbs down.
appears i used old data for my first post, but up to date on my second, you have used out of date date for this post though

As i said, irrelevant to the topic of the next media package,

Last edited by peckstar; 3 Apr 2018 at 07:13.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3812602)   #68
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
appears i used old data for my first post, but up to date on my second, you have used out of date date for this post though

As i said, irrelevant to the topic of the next media package,
Not really.

Supercars may choose to simply set themselves up as a broadcaster, charge a subscription fee and stream all races live.

This model won't work where internet speeds are slow.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3812607)   #69
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Not really.

Supercars may choose to simply set themselves up as a broadcaster, charge a subscription fee and stream all races live.

If foxtel was a step back then streaming is even a bigger step
Old 3 Apr 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3812609)   #70
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not really.

They'll probably upset the 50 people who still haven't worked out how to stream the existing coverage, let alone discover the internet.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3812610)   #71
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If foxtel was a step back then streaming is even a bigger step
For this rights negotiation? Probably yes.

But the next one.............

Refer Liberty's strategy with F1 broadcasting.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3812611)   #72
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
For this rights negotiation? Probably yes.

But the next one.............

Refer Liberty's strategy with F1 broadcasting.
strategy is not he same as having achieved something

people are not going to shell out big bucks for a one off product. ie Not going to spend $10 a month for F1 and $10 for supercars and $10 for aFL and $10 for NASCAR and $ 10 for Disney and $10 for NRL and $10 for Soccer.

Its just not going to happen
Old 3 Apr 2018, 12:41 (Ref:3812633)   #73
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
people are not going to shell out big bucks for a one off product. ie Not going to spend $10 a month for F1 and $10 for supercars and $10 for aFL and $10 for NASCAR and $ 10 for Disney and $10 for NRL and $10 for Soccer.
They are certainly not going to shell out for a Murdoch-product which many are ideologically opposed to (plus is very antiquated, in the era of on-demand over the internet television); not to mention how having advertisements on "pay TV" is absurd.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 15:34 (Ref:3812647)   #74
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
not to mention how having advertisements on "pay TV" is absurd.
Exactly. I am disgusted at the amount of commercials and station id's (at least 25% of total time) that we now have to endure on Foxtel. I recently wrote to them complaining of the fact that at least 25% of my not inexpensive monthly Foxtel bill is now in effect paying for me to watch the very commercials I first subscribed to Foxtel to avoid. Still waiting for a response from them.

Admittedly the live F1, Supercars, and other live Sports programmes are ad free but then I do pay an additional monthly fee to access Sports channels.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 21:16 (Ref:3812683)   #75
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
They are certainly not going to shell out for a Murdoch-product which many are ideologically opposed to (plus is very antiquated, in the era of on-demand over the internet television);
people already are