Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Feb 2008, 01:52 (Ref:2128404)   #1
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phillip Island Classic 2008

I thought I would start a thread as it is only just over 3 weeks until this meeting (8-9 March), and it is one of the highlights of the historic racing scene here in Australia. Best place to start is the VHRR website for the event:
http://www.vhrr.com/phillip_island.htm and http://www.vhrr.com/phillip_island2.htm

There are 550 cars entered including the ex-Mark Donohue 917-30 from the Porsche museum, which will be a sight to see, and a highlight on Sunday is a race between ~20 F5000 cars supplemented with 70s and 80s F1 cars.

I will be trying to get down there at least for the Sunday if not the Saturday as well. Is anyone else going to spectate, or even race?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 07:53 (Ref:2128499)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Droool

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
I thought I would start a thread as it is only just over 3 weeks until this meeting (8-9 March), and it is one of the highlights of the historic racing scene here in Australia. Best place to start is the VHRR website for the event:
http://www.vhrr.com/phillip_island.htm and http://www.vhrr.com/phillip_island2.htm

There are 550 cars entered including the ex-Mark Donohue 917-30 from the Porsche museum, which will be a sight to see, and a highlight on Sunday is a race between ~20 F5000 cars supplemented with 70s and 80s F1 cars.

I will be trying to get down there at least for the Sunday if not the Saturday as well. Is anyone else going to spectate, or even race?
Just cleaned off the slobber down the front of my shirt Should be yet another great Historic meeting.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 11:32 (Ref:2130157)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Its a very,very good meeting and more people should think about sending cars although the date is a bit late to get cars back to Europe.Its the best organised with more races per hour than any other meeting,Not sure about those handicap things though
Old 16 Feb 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2130168)   #4
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There'll be an ex Works Cologne Capri as well, should be awesome. I'm hoping we can get a few cameras down there for the Podcast and the TV show should it go ahead. I'm just hoping there's no Bike meetings that weekend or otherwise I might not be able to make it.
BTW Moto Mayhem Super Motard is at Oran Park next weekend it's a great spectacle so head out there it's going to be lots of fun. I hope!
Old 17 Feb 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2130708)   #5
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Its the best organised with more races per hour than any other meeting
You reckon?

It sure will be a great event though, always is and continues to grow. Should be some great machinery there. Can't wait for Roddy's Jag again!
Old 25 Feb 2008, 08:53 (Ref:2137282)   #6
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cologne Capri

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
There'll be an ex Works Cologne Capri as well, should be awesome. I'm hoping we can get a few cameras down there for the Podcast and the TV show should it go ahead. I'm just hoping there's no Bike meetings that weekend or otherwise I might not be able to make it.
BTW Moto Mayhem Super Motard is at Oran Park next weekend it's a great spectacle so head out there it's going to be lots of fun. I hope!
Which one ? History?
Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2137356)   #7
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Which one ? History?
No idea. Just been told that one will be there, the ex Jochen Mass car was running around at Goodwood a couple of years ago, it's the one in the picture on our website, but there was quite a few. Either way it was always a favourite car of mine and what with a big field of F5000s, the 917 Can Am car, Grp A and C cars and a whole fleet of International Formula Junior cars it should be one hell of a weekend.
We might have 3 cameras there if the sponsorship gods smile on us.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 06:23 (Ref:2138129)   #8
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Apparently there will be some celebrations on Saturday afternoon to mark the 80th anniversary of the first Grand Prix, with a tour of the original road course and display in Cowes. There is nothing on the website, does anyone know about this?
Old 26 Feb 2008, 06:23 (Ref:2138130)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Apparently there will be some celebrations on Saturday afternoon to mark the 80th anniversary of the first Grand Prix, with a tour of the original road course and display in Cowes. There is nothing on the website, does anyone know about this?
Old 26 Feb 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2138172)   #10
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
The release from the VACC is on the In Pit Lane website www.pitlanepr.com/inpitlane
Old 27 Feb 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2138993)   #11
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Which one ? History?
A few years back it was rumoured to be the Moff one but not sure now.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2139100)   #12
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't miss the Formula Junior Golden Jubilee race at this meeting! (The Golden Jubilee World Series is taking place in New Zealand [Pukekohe], Australia [Philip Island], Europe [Monza, Brands Hatch GP and Nurburgring], USA West Coast [Monterey], USA East Coast [Lime Rock], with the grand finale in South Africa [ Killarney].) Further information can be viewed on the Formula Junior web site, including a write up of the New Zealand races.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2139143)   #13
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
Don't miss the Formula Junior Golden Jubilee race at this meeting! (The Golden Jubilee World Series is taking place in New Zealand [Pukekohe], Australia [Philip Island], Europe [Monza, Brands Hatch GP and Nurburgring], USA West Coast [Monterey], USA East Coast [Lime Rock], with the grand finale in South Africa [ Killarney].) Further information can be viewed on the Formula Junior web site, including a write up of the New Zealand races.
What's the status of the race at Calder this weekend? They're certainly promoting it as a round of the series. Actually it should be a pretty good meeting with a few people taking the opportunity to get in a bit of pre-PI practice. Shame it conflicts with both Sandown and the bikes at the Island.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2139314)   #14
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Quote:
What's the status of the race at Calder this weekend? They're certainly promoting it as a round of the series. Actually it should be a pretty good meeting with a few people taking the opportunity to get in a bit of pre-PI practice. Shame it conflicts with both Sandown and the bikes at the Island.
For full info. go to www.formulajunior.com the cars from overseas race at several meetings but I think it is only the races mentioned in the previous post that count towards the World Series, the others i.e. Calder being Jubilee series races.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 23:22 (Ref:2139723)   #15
SLOTAGAIN
Rookie

SLOTAGAIN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have any info on Calder this weekend - apart form the fact that FJ is running? I cannot find a thing - are FJ running both days (thought I read somewhere that they would only run one day) and what other classes are running?
I would not mind going to have a look, but it all seems to be a well kept secret at the moment.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 07:27 (Ref:2140638)   #16
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Gee wonder why its on the same weekend as state round
Old 3 Mar 2008, 07:28 (Ref:2142995)   #17
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be at the Island. Made my first trip there last year (from Sydney) and wouldn't miss it by choice.

Great racing, great venue. Great weekend (no wife or kids).

Kramer
Old 4 Mar 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2143710)   #18
inpitlane
Veteran

John Bowe will drive the ex Alan Hamilton Lola T430 in the F5000 races this weekend at Phillip Island.
John confirmed it late last night and the public announcement is about to be made.
We'll preview the meeting including footage from the first round of the F5000's from NZ tonight on In Pit Lane as well as action from Sandown VMRC and the Melbourne Motorshow.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 06:13 (Ref:2143838)   #19
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
John Bowe will drive the ex Alan Hamilton Lola T430 in the F5000 races this weekend at Phillip Island.
John confirmed it late last night and the public announcement is about to be made.
We'll preview the meeting including footage from the first round of the F5000's from NZ tonight on In Pit Lane as well as action from Sandown VMRC and the Melbourne Motorshow.
Can't wait to see how John goes...Action from Sandown VMRC...Thats a few years old then!!!!
Old 5 Mar 2008, 05:33 (Ref:2144661)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
A welcome surprise to see IPL back on air last night Brett & the F5000 race was great.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 08:38 (Ref:2146203)   #21
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Looked like a good day out there, in the wet Bowe 2 seconds up
Old 9 Mar 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2147405)   #22
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My sweet lord what a great weekend it was. The 917 came out today for a few more laps, and whoever the driver was (J Richards?) certainly gave it to it. F500's were great fun, they should be a compulsory category at every race meeting. As soon as I can figure out how to post videos, I've got a (might not be) decent one of the entire field of F5000's going pas my flagpoint.

Mick
Old 10 Mar 2008, 06:49 (Ref:2148028)   #23
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I visited Phillip Island for the first time last weekend and now i'm hatching plans to take my car back there next year or the year after. The circuit is fantastic, the complex and facilities are excellent and the cars and grid sizes are amazing. I had a great weekend.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 07:44 (Ref:2148054)   #24
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Good to hear you all seem to have had a good weekend's racing - any news on the Formula Junior race? Or even better some photos!
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2148068)   #25
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
It was good to see Porsche back but a shame they only brought 1 car, last year was amazing with the 4 Le Mans cars and the F1 car. Still its fantastic they support it, and even take the engine cover off it. Shame for the Read's who's RX2 that was not even a year old is now a write off. Seto did a sterling job as expected, I almost think last year was better with the 2x Tyrrell's and Rob Sherrard with 3 cars in P,Q,R but still a fantastic event and a bigger crowd again. Love Stubbers new beast but Roddy's Jag still does it for me!

David there must have been some fellow competitors down here to from Qld?