Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Jan 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3874158)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
(NZ) Southern Classic

2nd of the NZ meetings that includes races for Formula Juniors from the rest of the world.
Old 4 Feb 2019, 11:29 (Ref:3881850)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The next destination for our intrepid Formula Junior globe-trotters!

Looked up the ‘Levels’ at Timaru on goggle maps, and found a circuit map (or maps) on South Canterbury Car Club website..... https://southcanterburycarclub.org.n...tivities/#maps

I see that the track is driven anti-clockwise. Is that generally the case in the S. hemisphere?
Old 4 Feb 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3881893)   #3
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never mind about that Mike, what about the Canaries!!
Old 4 Feb 2019, 15:54 (Ref:3881906)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
Never mind about that Mike, what about the ********!!
Ssh, and anyway- Iain supports Reading.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 03:35 (Ref:3881993)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We have just arrived at a camp site in Timaru . Not much to report . The camp site could be something out of the 60’s . There is free Wi Fi
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3629.jpg  

Last edited by Mike Bell; 5 Feb 2019 at 07:05.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 06:34 (Ref:3882000)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
We have just arrived at a camp site in Timaru . Not much to report . The camp site could be something out of the 60’s . There is free Wi Fi
I’ll post the camp site pic. As you say, could be in the UK a while back!

BUT Free WiFi? We don’t even get that at most Euro circuits!
Old 6 Feb 2019, 05:17 (Ref:3882189)   #7
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
31deg on Monday, 10 today! We've been hillwalking for a couple of days but no point today as the cloud is too low so now sitting in a very smart rv camp where we find ourselves next to another FJ, he had a more productive day than us having prepped his car in the trailer. Not sure what the posh neighbours think of that! Warming up for the weekend thank goodness.
Old 6 Feb 2019, 15:56 (Ref:3882258)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I'm guessing this isn't the same RV Camp, Colin! Mr Rowley has been checking out possible props for Goody Revival.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3631.JPG  
Old 6 Feb 2019, 16:37 (Ref:3882260)   #9
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did a bit of motorhome touring in Australia a few years ago (2013?) - I see some of the campsites haven't changed much.

There are many good sites though.
Old 6 Feb 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3882273)   #10
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mrs SpeCTator and I were at Timaru for the same meeting last year, sadly it got cancelled before it started, heavy rain being the problem.

However for those hardy types that hung around hoping, when the plug was finally pulled, the organisers invited any remaining people at the track to come to the "hospitality units" to eat the mountain of food that was not longer required.
We were even asked to take some home with us.

Our delicious supplies lasted till Tuesday!

Good luck Iain, enjoy.
Old 6 Feb 2019, 19:30 (Ref:3882276)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the best wishes . OK the camp sites might be a bit dated but they are clean and everything works . I hired a bike yesterday and went to the track . Shut but hey ho nice bike ride . We can get in later today . I need to check out the gearbox and decide if I carry on or use another car I have been offered . I will check in later .
Old 7 Feb 2019, 06:20 (Ref:3882335)   #12
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very different rv site to Iain's, at this one they trim the lawn borders with nail scissors and sweep the path behind as you walk in case any grit drops out of your shoes😁 TBH I feel a bit uncomfortable in this sort of place, we and the mhome are pretty filthy having been 2 days in the hills and on dirt roads a lot of the time. Still £20 for hot showers, elec hookup, tanks emptied & refilled not a bad deal.
Old 7 Feb 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3882513)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I need to check out the gearbox and decide if I carry on or use another car I have been offered . I will check in later .
Surely there must be someone back at base who could arrange for a spare box to be flown out to you Iain?

On of my first motorsport related task back in the day was to take a crate of spare parts - nose cone in an open crate with other parts strapped to bits of the crate, shock absorbers and brake parts mostly iirc. - to Rapid Movements near Heathrow for shipping overnight to South Africa.

I thought they were joking. Who knew stuff could be sent such distances so quickly AND retrieved at the other end in hours rather than days?

I wasn't quite sure where RM were and managed to miss the turning that would have taken me there, subsequently driving around for a couple of hours before I found them. Still in time for successful transportation though.

OK, so NZ would take a little longer - probably too late for this weekend. But it's the idea that should be considered!
Old 7 Feb 2019, 22:32 (Ref:3882534)   #14
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you have a good weekend Iain, fingers crossed for the 'box...

Just arrived in Sydney, sadly a week too late for Bathurst 12hr ... so we have a surfing lesson booked for Manly tomorrow afternoon instead! Got to do some work in between times though!

Good luck!

James
Old 8 Feb 2019, 08:18 (Ref:3882573)   #15
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Ok . This track it’s called “ levels “. Guess as it’s flat ..Here in Timaru. I can understand why the locals want to come over and race in Europe . Both this track and last weekend are ok and they make good use of the space but it’s a bit like racing at Lydden Hill every weekend . I pulled the box apart again and changed ratios and oil. Amazed but she is still holding together well . I was on a really good lap today but got held up by backmarket on last corner . Anyway P4 on grid tomorrow . We have 3 races tomorrow and 2 on Sunday . I will report innagain tomortow .
Old 8 Feb 2019, 08:37 (Ref:3882576)   #16
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ok . This track it’s called “ levels “. Guess as it’s flat ..Here in Timaru. I can understand why the locals want to come over and race in Europe . Both this track and last weekend are ok and they make good use of the space but it’s a bit like racing at Lydden Hill every weekend . I pulled the box apart again and changed ratios and oil. Amazed but she is still holding together well . I was on a really good lap today but got held up by backmarket on last corner . Anyway P4 on grid tomorrow . We have 3 races tomorrow and 2 on Sunday . I will report innagain tomortow .
Lydden,what a circuit,at least its the only one without the dreaded safety fencing.I've mostly been there for the bikes over the years and ovcourse the rallycross.Its certaibly improves recently having been there but I thibk its lost some of its attraction of raxing there though.I may be wrong.😁
Old 8 Feb 2019, 11:42 (Ref:3882603)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Ok . This track it’s called “ levels “. Guess as it’s flat ..Here in Timaru. I pulled the box apart again and changed ratios and oil. Amazed but she is still holding together well . I was on a really good lap today but got held up by backmarket on last corner . Anyway P4 on grid tomorrow . We have 3 races tomorrow and 2 on Sunday . I will report innagain tomortow .
Fingers crossed! Have you been for a swim, as you’re so close to the sea? Is it called Southern Ocean or South Pacific Ocean? Bit different to our North Sea....
Old 8 Feb 2019, 16:58 (Ref:3882661)   #18
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
The pictures I saw from Iain's car, at least the Danish blue one, show an action cam. Will you make some video? From the race I mean, not the swim!!
Old 8 Feb 2019, 17:39 (Ref:3882665)   #19
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Morning Gerard . I am sure those who are close to me are having histericle laughter . I do not own a dash cam and would not have any idea how to work it or upload any film .Sorry to disappoint you . There are some good photos on the FJ face book page of me under car as she is hanging on the crane from up at Teratonga. Not allowed on the beech Mike . It’s shut at moment , they say due to bacteria .
Old 8 Feb 2019, 17:43 (Ref:3882666)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Morning Gerard . I am sure those who are close to me are having histericle laughter . I do not own a dash cam and would not have any idea how to work it or upload any film .Sorry to disappoint you . There are some good photos on the FJ face book page of me under car as she is hanging on the crane from up at Teratonga. Not allowed on the beech Mike . It’s shut at moment , they say due to bacteria .

Whose bacteria?
Old 8 Feb 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3882671)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Whose bacteria?
My first thought....
Old 8 Feb 2019, 19:03 (Ref:3882685)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Morning Iain! Yes of course I'm disappointed, thought it was an action cam! Not many solutions to find whether its my computer or my eyes… or the symptom of you driving "all balls out"! Just out of my curiosity how do they manage to close a beach over there? They put the sand upside down?
Old 9 Feb 2019, 05:51 (Ref:3882747)   #23
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Good day boys .P3 1st Race .P4 second race and P4 3rd Race with 3 rd fastest lap . I’m getting to grips with this track . The Lotus is feeling and going like a train . Two more races tomorrow . Pizza and beer awaits . ��.
Old 9 Feb 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3882750)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Good day boys .P3 1st Race .P4 second race and P4 3rd Race with 3 rd fastest lap . I’m getting to grips with this track . The Lotus is feeling and going like a train . Two more races tomorrow . Pizza and beer awaits . ��.
Excellent! Be gentle with that gearbox.....

Enjoy.....!
Old 9 Feb 2019, 08:01 (Ref:3882762)   #25
I16
Racer

I16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you don't mind - a link to the local paper.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-heral...uthern-classic