Old 20 Apr 2009, 03:24 (Ref:2445147)   #1
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Austrian national anthem?

Possibly a bit trivial but...

Now obviously Red Bull are based in the UK, but from what I understood they race under an Austrian licence (sources: Wiki, the team site and the FIA website). Saddo that I am, I was kinda looking forward to hearing one of the rarer national anthems, "Land der Berge, Land am Strome" (not played since Berger won in '97 IIRC), but was kinda surprised and disappointed to find them playing "God Save the Queen" instead. This also isn't consistent given that the French national anthem is played for Renault's wins, despite them also being based in the UK. Was this just a mix-up by whoever's job this is in China, or was there some other reason?
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 20 Apr 2009, 05:57 (Ref:2445201)   #2
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because Mark Webber didn't win!

Old 20 Apr 2009, 07:00 (Ref:2445211)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Why would Webber winning get an Austrian Flag MCWB?
Old 20 Apr 2009, 08:27 (Ref:2445239)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes,it's been a while since the Australian anthem was played at a GP.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2445243)   #5
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a mistake on the organizer's part according to Helmut Marko.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2445245)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Article here.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=37616
Old 20 Apr 2009, 08:40 (Ref:2445247)   #7
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think someone was having a Dumb and Dumber 'g'day mate, put another shrimp on the barbie' moment there..

Something similar happened when Jordan won their first GP in 98. God Save the Queen was played instead of Amhrán na bhFiann. The reason given at the time was that Spa didn't have a copy of the Irish anthem. Pathetic really. All represented nationalities should always be covered because you never know. Anyway, I think the F1 anthem ceremony is a bit crass anyway, lacks passion and respect or something. Seems to be just going through the motions.

I'll get off my soapbox now...
Old 20 Apr 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2445255)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Yeah, shame the Silverstone-based team didn't have the Irish anthem played.

Maybe Dieter Mateschitz is a tax-exile and they played the Liechtenstein anthem by mistake?
Old 20 Apr 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2445289)   #9
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Something similar happened when Jordan won their first GP in 98. God Save the Queen was played instead of Amhrán na bhFiann.
I thought that was because Jordan were actually racing under a UK team license at the time.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2445293)   #10
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
I thought that was because Jordan were actually racing under a UK team license at the time.
They were always listed as British in official documents, so it must have been a UK License.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2445316)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This was a balls-up, as Red Bull are entered with the Austrian ASN - OAMTC (probably with an Umlaut over the O, so that would be OeAMTC).

Would it be too difficult for the FIA to provide the local organizers with a 20 CDs, simply as a matter of playing the CD with the driver's name on it? I don't know about the Jordan issue, but there have been plenty of cases in some sports of the wrong national anthem.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2445331)   #12
MCWB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex View Post
Why would Webber winning get an Austrian Flag MCWB?
Ever been to Austria? Just having a joke, along the lines of this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/71/18...03a844e1c8.jpg
Old 20 Apr 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2445357)   #13
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
I must say it didnt sound right with the German anthem playing 1st... and then for it not to be followed by the Italian anthem!!

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2445384)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
I must say it didnt sound right with the German anthem playing 1st... and then for it not to be followed by the Italian anthem!!
Was it this sequence of anthems when Vettel last won?

I was just wondering while reading this thread which anthem was played for the Toro Rosso team, based in Italy - owned in Austria?
Old 20 Apr 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2445391)   #15
MCWB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Was it this sequence of anthems when Vettel last won?
IIRC it was, yes.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2445397)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What country provide the license for STR?
If they have an Italian license, then one of Vettel's podiums was incorrect - if they have an Austrian license also, then the precedent has already been set surely?
Old 20 Apr 2009, 15:15 (Ref:2445603)   #17
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
STR calls itself Italian on its website, RBR's says Austrian. Presumably that matches the licenses, so Monza was correct.

According to the Sporting Regulations, it's the FIA's job to inform the organisers about the nationalities.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2445637)   #18
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
BTW, what is Woking-Paragon national anthem? Perhaps "We are the (ex)champions"? Maybe "Little lies"?
Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:57 (Ref:2445682)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Anyway, I think the F1 anthem ceremony is a bit crass anyway, lacks passion and respect or something. Seems to be just going through the motions.
Now, really, this comes across as complaining about it because it is F1. There must be something to complain about in the event of close races, with an upside-down field, and such. Since the usual complaints haven't been available this year, the need to complain has found this outlet?

Trophies and bottles of fizzy liquid are given out; drivers stand about; anthems are played; drivers spray fizzy liquid all over the place; drivers leave for post-race PC.

I fail to see how F1's podium situation differs from other series...
Old 20 Apr 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2445751)   #20
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did wonder about this as well, shame about the mix up really. It's not as bad as (IIRC) Alan Jones' first win though, when the organisers didn't have the Aussie anthem to hand so they played Happy Birthday instead. That's one for the pub quiz.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 19:29 (Ref:2445789)   #21
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Much easier just to play the EU anthem surely?

Anyone know what it is?
Old 20 Apr 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2445793)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Beethoven's Ode To Joy (9th Symphony).

Last edited by crmalcolm; 20 Apr 2009 at 19:39. Reason: Linky
Old 20 Apr 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2445883)   #23
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
You've fallen into the Eurotrap. It is not the European anthem, but the anthem of the Council of Europe. The European Constitution was going to MAKE it the European anthem, but after the Constitution was rejected it was brought back again in exactly the same form, with symbolism like the anthem removed. Which just shows what a complete sham the whole thing is and why Gordon Brown is reneging on a promise for a referendum on the treaty by saying it's not the Constitution.

Counting the days...
Old 21 Apr 2009, 03:20 (Ref:2446006)   #24
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anyway, I think the F1 anthem ceremony is a bit crass anyway, lacks passion and respect or something. Seems to be just going through the motions.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
Now, really, this comes across as complaining about it because it is F1. There must be something to complain about in the event of close races, with an upside-down field, and such. Since the usual complaints haven't been available this year, the need to complain has found this outlet?

Trophies and bottles of fizzy liquid are given out; drivers stand about; anthems are played; drivers spray fizzy liquid all over the place; drivers leave for post-race PC.

I fail to see how F1's podium situation differs from other series...

I'll tell you how its different, its the best podium presentation in the world! Its one of two or three I can think of that plays the FULL anthem. I hate it so much when podium presentations play the first 5 seconds of anthems - whats the point??

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 04:05 (Ref:2446013)   #25
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
You've fallen into the Eurotrap. It is not the European anthem, but the anthem of the Council of Europe. The European Constitution was going to MAKE it the European anthem, but after the Constitution was rejected it was brought back again in exactly the same form, with symbolism like the anthem removed. Which just shows what a complete sham the whole thing is and why Gordon Brown is reneging on a promise for a referendum on the treaty by saying it's not the Constitution.

Counting the days...
Apparently the EU thinks it is its anthem.

http://europa.eu/abc/symbols/anthem/index_en.htm

The funny part is: "This is the anthem not only of the European Union but also of Europe in a wider sense". How the UE can say what is the anthem for a Europe in a "wider sense"?

So, if a multieuropean team wins, the piano arrangement of "Ode to Joy" should be heard.