Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Apr 2000, 13:53 (Ref:14499)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Two days of racing action with Historic Formula 2, The CSCC Saloon and Touring Car Championships, Classic Thunder, Classic Formula Ford 1600 and 2000, Austin Healeys, Classic Clubmans, MGB C V8s and Thoroughbred Sportscars.

Practice on Saturday and Racing on Sunday. 13th and 14th May.

Air displays, parade laps and a paddock, which I expect, will be open for all to wander around.

Will keep everybody posted with anymore details but, if you imagine Coys with slightly more modern machinery, you may get a good idea.

If this does go well it may augur well for the future of racing at Brands under the new owners. They certainly seem to be making every effort to make this meeting a success.
Old 19 Apr 2000, 16:13 (Ref:14500)   #2
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
parade laps for the CSCC?!!!!
Old 21 Apr 2000, 21:20 (Ref:14501)   #3
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Where did you get all that stuff about air displays etc Peter ?
I heard they've got a big sponsor for this meeting - don't know who though but they still manage to charge higher entry fees than normal. Apparently it costs 30,000 GBP to hire the track.
The BARC got a bit miffed because half the Classic FF1600 grid is off to Spa for that weekend, so now they've said we will practise and race on the Sunday only in the hope that some of our guys will make the drive back on Saturday night after the Spa Race. Amazing isn't it, they charge ridiculous entry fees, give lousy little trophies but as soon as they look like losing part of the grid they change their attitude.
Anyway we'll be there so see you around the paddock.
Old 23 Apr 2000, 10:25 (Ref:14502)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually I generally refuse to race at Brands because of the cost, but this year the enttry fee is more reasonable. You can't blame the BARC for taking that stance with your lot really, when you consider that they have made an effort to promote classic racing and then a bunch of racers decide to enter a non-championship race at Spa which will jeopardise the grids for the championship race weekend.

We got all the info at a driver's meeting at Cadwell, when we were told that because of the FFord 1600 situation, the Group ones would have to practice and race on the Saturday. We considered that a bit steep in the light of the grids we provide so we've protested and maybe they'll move somone else.

I don't know if any of your competitors have raced at Spa but to arrive on the Friday, race on the Saturday and be back at Brands early enough for scrutineering, practice and race on the Sunday will take some doing!!!

We race at Spa every year but we make sure there's a gap in the calendar to accommodate it. If I am racing on the Sunday, I will catch up with you there.
Old 23 Apr 2000, 16:29 (Ref:14503)   #5
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be sad if you have to race on the Saturday! Lets face it attendance is so poor on Saturdays that the PA announce crowd changes to the drivers!

I might wander up and have a look myself on Sunday though. Anyone else going?

[This message has been edited by RIKB (edited 23 April 2000).]
Old 25 Apr 2000, 20:54 (Ref:14504)   #6
Tony Harman
Veteran

Agree with you Peter about generally not racing at Brands because of their entry fees, where do they get the idea they're any better than other circuits, even BHL ones, (haven't had a GP there in over 10yrs) I know there are lots of reasons like higher running costs, blah, blah, blah.
Regarding the BARC attitiude, we are not part of the BARC BCM, no specific reason stated but it's all to do with politics between BRSCC & BARC, ours is a joint championship but basically organised by the BRSCC, but this year we've got mainly BARC meetings to swell numbers at the BCM, but only the ones that suit them, consequently we didn't have the Brands mtg when Spa was originally set up. (We had our calander changed 3 times between Jan and March) As for the change of days apparently the BARC made such a fuss about losing some of the front runners that they asked our guys to come up with a way of getting more drivers to the circuit, so the answer was to practise and race on Sunday, now they're saying we're forcing others to change. I kind of agree that maybe we shouldn't be going off doing this Euro Classic Ford meeeting, but it was already on the books at the beginning of the year.
Which Spa meeting do you do - is it the ^ hour in Sept, I think that is on our calendar too.
I just spoke to someone doing Spa tonight and aparently quite a few are doing Brands as well - it's on the way home for a lot of them.
Old 28 Apr 2000, 18:13 (Ref:14505)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Harman:

I just spoke to someone doing Spa tonight and aparently quite a few are doing Brands as well - it's on the way home for a lot of them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm.

Benzedrin anyone?

Old 30 Apr 2000, 22:39 (Ref:14506)   #8
Tony Harman
Veteran

Well hopefully they will all fall asleep on the line... I'll come storming through from a mid-grid position... be into Paddock before they wake up... have a 45 second advantage.... last lap... chequered flag.... 'ere wass dat noise---- damn that alarm clock I was having such a great dream
See you there.
Old 17 May 2000, 09:36 (Ref:14507)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Sadly my race was on the Saturday, which had a very sparse crowd. However the sunday brought out the crowds and judging by the phone calls I received, the day was a roaring success. Lets hope they do it again next year but make it three days (Friday to Sunday) just like Coys. Overall the BARC should be congratulated.

Wonder if the FIA Touring Cars would come out to play?

Old 18 May 2000, 08:48 (Ref:14508)   #10
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed the whole weekend enormously, despite suffering slight sunburn on Saturday Peter did fantasticaly, and we have some great photos of his stunning overtaking manoeuvre on the Talbot coming through Paddock Hill Plus some other action shots, some of which will hopefully be posted here or on a site of my own in the very near future. The entertaimnent on Sunday was great - vintage Tiger Moths and a Jaguar jet fighter (Tim, you were right, those things are LOUD!) Shame we never got the cold war fighter planes, and I'm a tad upset that the Italian Job mini/truck silliness was on the other side of the circuit from where we were sitting, but overall I have no complaints. But if the "entertainment package" was good, the racing was even better, and I really enjoyed the hour's race, cheering on the A35 even when it semed about to go off after hitting the kerbs a little too hard, wondering whether Ian Cowley's RX7 would defy statistics and actually last a race, adiring the quality and presentation of truly fantastic classic machinery, etc, etc. The other races were just as good, especially the titanic race-long battle between Cortina and Chevy Camaro - cornering ability vs sheer straight line power!

The only bad point to the weekend was a nasty crash between 2 of thr FF2000 drivers after Graham Hill bend, resulting in one (Nigel Payne) being stretchered away. The FF2000 website has no news on him other than he had suspected broken ribs, and the circuit commentary only said they thought he'd be OK. Does anyone have any news on him? I hope he makes a recovery as speedy as his driving had been up to that point.

Peter, I'd heartily recommend the weekend becoming a 3-day event - more please And I'd like to thank you again for your hospitality as usual, and please also thank your other half for force-feeding us the Jaffa Cake bars Much appreciated!
Old 18 May 2000, 13:22 (Ref:14509)   #11
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

&lt;QUOTE&gt;
Peter did fantasticaly, and we have some great photos of his stunning overtaking manoeuvre on the Talbot coming through Paddock Hill
&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

I guess that Talbot would be me then!

To be honest I wasn't expecting to be there, I got a barnstormer of a start from the grid and found myself beside the blue Sunbeam which started out 10th, I had pulled myself up from 18th :-) Lack of grunt (its a 1.6) and inexperiance allowed Peter to get past but I hung onto the back of him. Unfortunately the restart wasn't so favourable; I got pushed wide by a Crappy ;-) and onto the grass. I'd be interested to see any piccies you might have though.

Regards
Andrew www.tintinracing.com
Old 18 May 2000, 18:37 (Ref:14510)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by apguy:
&lt;QUOTE&gt;
Peter did fantasticaly, and we have some great photos of his stunning overtaking manoeuvre on the Talbot coming through Paddock Hill
&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

I guess that Talbot would be me then!

Regards
Andrew www.tintinracing.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, no. You were just one of those which I stunningly overtook (twice) . The Talbot referred to above was in fact Sean Cockerill's. However, I, like you shouldn't have been in that position in the first place but hey, it was tremendous fun. I had forgotten how good the Indy circuit really is.

If you go to the historic forum, I've posed a question there which you all may find of interest.