Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 4 Jul 2018, 22:01 (Ref:3834713)   #646
isynge
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
There's a bit in an Iain Banks novel (Dead Air?) - and I'm going to paraphrase (probably badly) - where the lead protagonist expresses that saying something challenging isn't always an invitation to squabble, it's more like heartfelt advice to a friend who you just want the best for; and I think this is where a lot of us are with RLM.

It's changed, and I'll stand up and say that about 10 years ago I'd default to having a full record of the full coverage and listen to it compulsively, and I don't do that any more. A lot of it is about how racing's changed and how I've changed, but dispassionately they've changed too.

And that's as it should be.

Sort of.

The world's changed, how people consume content has changed, and people's expectations have changed. RLM is no longer the primary source of information, it's no longer continuous breathless TV-on-the-radio commentary with run downs of precisely who's where and what the gaps are. In 2008 I remember wandering to my radio perched on top of my car roof in Tertre Rouge to hear why there was a safety car at night, now (subject to bandwidth) it's a twitter feed from somewhere else that tells me that.

So what's it there for? It's probably Test Match Special - a combination of commentary when it's exciting, periodic run downs of runners and retirements, just to be clear, and a lot of engaging conversation the rest of the time, and viewed this way they're there.

Except they're not quite.

And this is where issues like the chip on shoulder about Alonso and F1, the paid for content not quite sitting right (and I don't have an answer to this, and no, I don't want ad breaks), and I'm hunting for a third niggle and not quite getting there - you get the picture.

But here's the crux: JH in the main is a superb radio commentator, his sense of infectious enthusiasm is what makes you wake up and think sportscars are going past outside (especially when they are actually doing so); and a level of somewhat enthusiastic amateur missing things across the entire team is fine, because they're doing so passionately makes it accessible.

So tweak it. If you're RLM Have the right team on at the right time. Have the right level of conversational pieces at the right time. Be proud of what you're reporting on and keep comments on other approaches to a humorous minimum. But above all realise you're not far off and as you iterate think about really what you're trying to do and know you're doing so to an audience who is critical because really they think a lot of you.
Old 5 Jul 2018, 06:56 (Ref:3834752)   #647
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still want them to go back to playing records during the daytime
Old 5 Jul 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3834762)   #648
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
It's changed...
Yes it has, but I'm not convinced those changes have been either measured, or deliberate. Fundamentally, the format hasn't really changed, rather the personnel, and as certain members of the team have moved on, or been moved on, those who have replaced them have lacked the fluency and warmth of delivery of those who preceded them.

I have no axe to grind with RLM, it's like an old friend you reacquaint yourself with each year, and an integral part of the Le Mans experience. There's something reassuring about knowing they're there when you need them. This year though, for a variety of reasons (the outstanding pitlane team and Trussers aside), I found the broadcast far less engaging, and as the race wore on, I became increasingly reluctant to listen to 'my old friend'.

It's hard to explain, but in vintage RLM years, I have felt like I, together with the tens of thousands of other listeners, are on a journey with them, it's exciting, totally comfortable, addictively infectious, and you can't stop listening because you are hooked and have to share every moment with them, because if you don't, you feel you might miss out on something. This year, no...
Old 5 Jul 2018, 10:07 (Ref:3834776)   #649
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
See, what I miss most of all is the annual Hugh Chamberlain "why I didn't make it through the night" interview, always an entertaining staple of early Sunday morning.

Seems we're forming a consensus. We love RLM, can't imagine LM weekend either at the track or at home without it, but thought this year's edition a bit weaker than the normal high standard.

PS I didn't actually mind the advert breaks, we all know it has to be paid for somehow

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 5 Jul 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3834782)   #650
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridvincegail should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridvincegail should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
I still want them to go back to playing records during the daytime
Yeah, me too! With their far too small song collection, which made them play some songs very often during the week.
Heard 'Have a nice day' by the Stereophonics on the radio today and it instantly took me back to a grassy field in France
Old 7 Jul 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3835246)   #651
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think this thread has shown we are still capable (as humans) of actually having a sensible discussion of a topic with varying points of view. that makes me happy.

I can't add much to what has already been said, but I will expand on the brilliance of RLM. In IMSA they cover all the support races and stream them live. I have been listening to the support races this year, and Jeremy and John and Shea have done a tremendous job covering these races. I know very little about the drivers in the races, yet they have still been able to make the races interesting to me. For instance, last week at Watkins, in one of the Porsche Cup races a car didn't make it off pitlane for the pace lap and they were describing the work going on and John was getting excited about the car having to hurry to make it out of the pits before the pitlane closed and the driver would go down a lap. This wasn't one of the favorites for the race or anything, but the excitement involved in the call captured the drama of the race for that individual so well that I thought it was me stuck in the pitlane!