Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:21 (Ref:2031103)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Damon Hill lambasts Max Mosley

I can't see that this has been mentioned yet on here, and I guess that this forum is the best place for it, so you maybe interested in today's Autosport which carries the 'Letter of the week' from Damon Hill. In it he accuses Max Mosley of a 'gross insult' to Sir Jackie Stewart when the former described Stewart as a 'certified half-wit'. Hill, quite rightly, calls upon Mosley to offer an apology.

Sir Jackie, an intelligent man, has done far more for motor sport than Mosley, but in any event, it is an outrageous insult to make from anyone, let alone someone in Mosley's position. Well done to Damon for highlighting this and coming out publicly with call for an apology.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:24 (Ref:2031108)   #2
Olive
Rookie

United Kingdom
Olive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most interesting thing is that out of Hill, Stewart and Mosley, only Max resorted to personal attack, rather than force of argument.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:25 (Ref:2031110)   #3
staid davenport
Racer

England
London
staid davenport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I felt very cold when I read those quotes from Mosley. If he can voice such opinions how can he be trusted to have an impartial view on the McLaren-Ferrari spying row?
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:28 (Ref:2031115)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought it an excellent letter from Hill and I must say it was always coming with the remarks Max made.

Here's my favourite part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Hill
Not only is it bad manners, it also brings into question the character and judgement of the man who represents motorsport throughout the world through the august institution of the FIA. It was conduct most unbecoming of an FIA president and in my humble view brought the sport into disrepute, a crime he recently seems so keen to eradicate.
This is much better and carries far more weight than simply labelling someone a halfwit. And it is so true.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:29 (Ref:2031116)   #5
staid davenport
Racer

England
London
staid davenport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is there a link to this letter anywhere please?
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:35 (Ref:2031121)   #6
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely agree with Damon's comments, but won't hold my breath until a response received from Mosley.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:36 (Ref:2031122)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It will probably include references to beards and long hair.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:37 (Ref:2031124)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I just think that Hill Mosely and Stewart should just have a big naked fight on the roof of the BRDC building, and just have it out...
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:39 (Ref:2031126)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems like Max Mosely is not only incompetent, but rude as well.

I think that his replacement as FIA president should be either Eddie Jordan, Damon Hill or Paul Stoddart - maybe even Mr Minardi ...
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:40 (Ref:2031129)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Jackie Stewart.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:46 (Ref:2031135)   #11
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
I just think that Hill Mosely and Stewart should just have a big naked fight on the roof of the BRDC building, and just have it out...
You really need to see someone about having thoughts like that.

I had only heard something about the whole Moseley/Stewart situation. I think F1 would be a whole lot better if we got rid of the pair of tits that are trying to run it at the moment.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 17:49 (Ref:2031138)   #12
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
This is much better and carries far more weight than simply labelling someone a halfwit. And it is so true.
OK I'm just gonna say this "Max is a halfwit"

I feel better now. Can I say that here without getting a slap on the wrist?

Good on Hill for standing up
Old 4 Oct 2007, 18:05 (Ref:2031150)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
OK I'm just gonna say this "Max is a halfwit"
Two wrongs and all that. I also guess that you realise that by similar logic that opens the door for others to levy the same insult towards yourself. Or does the he started it rule come into play?
Quote:
I feel better now. Can I say that here without getting a slap on the wrist?
Maybe the benefit of the doubt is needed from the mods.
Quote:
Good on Hill for standing up
Agreed, good on him for disputing an injustice towards someone, and pointing out an ill considered remark that is simply insulting and has no place in genuine discussion about the recent events.

For me this again demonstrates Damon's qualities. Thank you Damon for putting words together to dispute an insult towards someone and to do it in a manner that does not resort to insults but is at the same time forceful.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 18:13 (Ref:2031161)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by staid davenport
Is there a link to this letter anywhere please?
It is in today's Autosport.

I wonder if Max will be entering the competition on the opposite page?
Old 4 Oct 2007, 18:33 (Ref:2031181)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I saw the letter and I must admit I was astonished. I wasn't aware Max had made such remarks, if he has, then he needs to apologize immediately.

If people feel that the 2007 WDC is tainted, I wonder what the discerning opinion will be of the FIA and their president after this year.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 18:37 (Ref:2031187)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by staid davenport
I felt very cold when I read those quotes from Mosley. If he can voice such opinions how can he be trusted to have an impartial view on the McLaren-Ferrari spying row?

Hit the nail on the head here I feel !

Whether you think people are half wits or not, you don't make an easy path for yourself in this world if you go around spouting of like MM has done. Damon Hill has done himself proud by standing up to him but in such a dignified manner.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 18:38 (Ref:2031189)   #17
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fine Mad Max 100 million for putting the sport into disrepute.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 19:18 (Ref:2031231)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
He really is a polite, likeable chap Damon isn't he? He's got the gumption to stand up and be counted and the intelligence to project his opinion in a mature fashion. Good on him.

I read the letter this morning whilst distracted (I was on the phone to a client - professional to the last, me) and didn't realise it was from Damon Hill until I read this thread.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 19:22 (Ref:2031234)   #19
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm glad to see Damon Hill is comfortable to say what he thinks in public. I also agree with his point of view. Polite and to the point as it should be!
Old 4 Oct 2007, 20:00 (Ref:2031268)   #20
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ten out of ten Damon, a gentleman to the end.

Max really should be looking towards the Bahamas for a complete and final R & R.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 20:16 (Ref:2031280)   #21
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Absolutely superb of Damon to stand up and criticise Mosley is such a balanced and intelligent way. Far more powerful than resorting to petty name-calling. That's the reason people have a respect for him that is foreign to the likes of Mosley, who is an undoubted disgrace to motorsport, the values of which he is supposed to uphold.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 4 Oct 2007, 20:58 (Ref:2031312)   #22
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
trevisio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Damon, I hope you replace mad Max!
Old 4 Oct 2007, 21:02 (Ref:2031314)   #23
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A read on recent Jackie Stewart articles in the Telegraph is quite good

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/ma...it/ftfront.xml

One of the numerous articles re his Autobiography tells of his work witth Ford, how he has the same driver 37 years on and has kept in the rich list despite his dyslexia and having retired from racing years ago.
I doubt that Max's life compares.

Well done Damon and the call for MAD MAX to ride off into Australian Outback Never Never land should be building to a shrll scream
Old 4 Oct 2007, 21:36 (Ref:2031355)   #24
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While I think that Max has done a lot for the FIA and motorsport (Balestre anyone?) his remarks about wee Jackie were well out of order and, more important, unhelpful. (To anyone.)

Well done Damon.

Regards

Jim
Old 4 Oct 2007, 21:38 (Ref:2031356)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Fair play to Damon. But as it was "letter of the week" did he win a prize?