Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Oct 2007, 11:39 (Ref:2041604)   #1
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
3-way battles of the past

Ive just read a great article with a list of all the seasons (there was 8 of them) that ended with a 3way battle finale. The last one was in 1986 just few months after I was born, so I hardly know too much about these races but I certainly hope some of the Nostalgie Profs of the forum can share a few good stories. Stories when the title went to the guy being 2nd before the final race are extremely welcome too

The title eventually went to:

- whoever was 2nd before the final race 4 times (Surtees, Piquet, Piquet, Prost)
- whoever was 1st before the final race 3 times (Brabham, Hill, Fittipaldi)
- whoever was 3rd before the final race 1 times (Farina)

1950: Giuseppe Farina – Juan-Manuel Fangio, Luigi Fagioli

1959: Jack Brabham – Tony Brooks, Stirling Moss

1964: John Surtees – Graham Hill – Jim Clark

1968: Graham Hill – Jackie Stewart – Denny Hulme

1974: Emerson Fittipaldi – Clay Regazzoni – Jody Scheckter

1981: Nelson Piquet – Carlos Reutemann – Jacques Laffite

1983: Nelson Piquet – Alain Prost – René Armoux

1986: Alain Prost – Nigel Mansell – Nelson Piquet
Old 16 Oct 2007, 11:47 (Ref:2041611)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It shows how consistency is very important and Piquet was a master of that in all his 3 titles. I guess Hamilton and Alonso have the same this season, but Hamilton beats Alonso in the end.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 11:54 (Ref:2041621)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
It's interesting that the highest number have gone to the driver who was in 2nd place going into the race. Bodes well for Alonso fans, not so well for Hamilton fans...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Oct 2007, 11:57 (Ref:2041629)   #4
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton? Alonso? ..... Nahhh... Kimi's going to win it
Old 16 Oct 2007, 12:20 (Ref:2041667)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
It's interesting that the highest number have gone to the driver who was in 2nd place going into the race. Bodes well for Alonso fans, not so well for Hamilton fans...
Yeah, but that would only be for the "superstitious side" of the statistics really, as it proves that the 2nd place was always consistent with good results and the 1st had more wins but failed to have others valuablke positions. This year case is pretty different, Hamilton has been consistent the whole season, even more than Alonso. So unless we have a cruel twist in his luck this weekend, he'll be the new WDC.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 12:29 (Ref:2041679)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
You're right, and it's lucky I'm not superstitious. Hamilton has had the consistency that others have lacked, which is why he's in 1st place without winning the most races. Of course, Kimi has been the in-form driver over much of the second half of the season, so we can't discount him just yet...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Oct 2007, 23:37 (Ref:2042294)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe Lewis still hasn't had his quota of misfortune for the season? Or did he get it all out of the way at the Nurburgring?

Kimi has 8 podiums in the last 9 races, but he needs an extraordinary result around him. Realistically Lewis only needs to beat one Ferrari to win the title. In the dry, he's odds-on.