Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Nov 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1762715)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Radical SR9 LMP2

Thought you might like to see a few shots of this car taken at the Walter Hayes Trophy meeting last Sunday. Martin Short brought it out for one of the support races, called The Secretary's Challenge which catered for an eclectic mix of historic and modern sports cars and saloons. I understand that this was the first race for this car and I guess Short was using it as a bit of a shakedown. He and the other two quickest cars, seen below, gave themselves a handicap by starting from the pitlane and about a lap down. Short nevertheless, and unsurprisingly, won comfortably:-

Earl Goddard was out in the Reynard LMP900 and started at the same time as Short and came 2nd although he could not match the pace of the new Radical:-

David Leslie was the other who started from the pitlane, albeit a bit earlier then the other two, in the Radical SR8 but later pulled into the pits to retire.

Last edited by John Turner; 10 Nov 2006 at 13:16.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1762728)   #2
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I understand that this was the first race for this car and I guess Short was using it as a bit of a shakedown.
So presumably Shorty now has two complete cars to sell instead of one and a half.

Very nice pics, thanks for posting!
Old 10 Nov 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1762958)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I understand that this was the first race for this car and I guess Short was using it as a bit of a shakedown.
I think that I should have said the first race win, although it has to be conceded that the opposition waas negligible.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 20:55 (Ref:1762964)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think that I should have said the first race win, although it has to be conceded that the opposition waas negligible.
That makes far more sense, John. I had understood the car was in 'kit' form as recently as a week ago, so your statement was a bit of a shock!
Old 11 Nov 2006, 03:00 (Ref:1763173)   #5
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps he's a motivated seller?
Old 11 Nov 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1763304)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Sorry to have confused you, guys. Confused myself even more though!
Old 13 Nov 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1764787)   #7
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice photos John. It was good to see these cars in action round a little track like that!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1765752)   #8
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shortie finally gets a Tophy in 2006!

A few more pics;-

Shortie gets his trophy alongside Earl Goddard and Frank Sytner
http://groups.msn.com/DoughtyPics/wh...o&PhotoID=1089

Hey look I got two!
http://groups.msn.com/DoughtyPics/wh...o&PhotoID=1091

1st 2nd and 3rd
http://groups.msn.com/DoughtyPics/wh...o&PhotoID=1094

Shortie discusses tactics with Damon Hill???
http://groups.msn.com/DoughtyPics/wh...o&PhotoID=1093
Old 14 Nov 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1765795)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Whose the dude standing beside Shortie in the last pic ..... i wouldnt let a bum like that drive my car !!!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1770433)   #10
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Very interesting Radical article on DSC.

Radical have been working in the (MIRA) windtunnel with a full-size SR9 in order to evaluate the current car (which has previously never been anywhere near a windtunnel), and to find areas where improvements can be made for the 2007 version of the car.

The results confirmed (according to Tim Greaves) just how good the original design was. But what really fascinated me was the fact that ".....with development parts, we were able to increase the level of downforce by 25% without any increase in drag.“

Now, my knowledge and understanding of the more technical aspects of racing car design is limited (to say the least!), but that figure sounds extraordinary. If there was one conclusion I drew from the many hours I spent watching the cars at Tertre Rouge this year, it was that the two prototypes which handled the corner with the least drama were the Audi R10's and the Rollcentre Radical. Both took the corner as if they were running on rails. There are of course many elements to the design and setup of a car, but I had assumed that what set these two apart was due in no small way to the bucketloads of downforce these cars were producing.

So, I'm now asking myself if, with a 25% gain in downforce without any increase in drag, Radical have found the missing ingredient which set the RS Spyder apart from 'the rest of the pack' in 2006?

(I thought I'd change the direction of this existing thread rather than start a new one)

Last edited by Bentley03; 20 Nov 2006 at 10:03.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 10:48 (Ref:1770472)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
25% with 0% increase in drag - seriously? thats very very difficult indeed seeeing as a rule of thumb more downforce = more drag. But if true then the SR9 will be incredibly fast.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1770495)   #12
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It also suggests that the car was far from being '97% there'.

If this is the case, they will be able to trim the car back with less downfore and have higher top speeds. 25% is a huge number. Did they indicate how many days they spent in the tunnel?
Old 20 Nov 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1770583)   #13
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
Did they indicate how many days they spent in the tunnel?
No, neither in the DSC article, nor in a brief article about the tests (with some photos) on the Radical website.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1770740)   #14
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still think the Radical is the chassis to have if launching an assault On LMP2 !
It looks so nice, with this added downforce with no drag drawbacks it will be seriously quick machine. As I said on another post What I'd give to watch a rotary powered one of these go !!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1770758)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Any news on BK motorsports yet ..... maybe a mazda SR9 !!!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 17:43 (Ref:1770782)   #16
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mazda is supposed to announce something at the LA autoshow in early December.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1771061)   #17
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SR9 wind tunnel photos

http://www.radicalextremesportscars....mira/index.php
Old 21 Nov 2006, 03:04 (Ref:1771117)   #18
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
25% more does sound extraodinarly optimistic as we're talking 800-1000+lbs more downforce. I didn't know one could give up that much and still be that quick. I've spent a fair amount of time in wind tunnels and know that to find that amount is pretty substantial. But a simple optimisation of the rear wing and front diffuser might very well get you there pretty quickly.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1771334)   #19
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
On the other hand that 25% number could very well be a marketing person's contribution....
Old 21 Nov 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1771390)   #20
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The 25% wording came direct from Tim
Old 21 Nov 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1771524)   #21
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more downforce you have the slower the car. Downforce is needed for highspeed grip in corners. Downforce can kill straight line speed.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1771572)   #22
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
The more downforce you have the slower the car. Downforce is needed for highspeed grip in corners. Downforce can kill straight line speed.
You are partly right. Downforce usually comes at the expense of drag because to create downforce something has to be exposed in the airflow. However Radical claim that they have gained the downforce without having to expose more wings etc. That's why this news is remarkable.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1771577)   #23
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
25% more downforce without increasing the drag? Maybe on a GrandAm car or a Lister, but not on a car that is designed by Peter Elleray.
Would be nice to have a post from him about that ...
Old 21 Nov 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1771636)   #24
Radical Trip
Rookie

Radical Trip should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Extend the front diffusser until it is the same plain as the front nose. You will gain about 6 inches on the splitter. Similar to the LC75.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1771718)   #25
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may be possible to find 25% (although I am amazed by this figure) with no drag but will you be able to balance the car from front to back? If the downforce improvement was all at the front, you will need to put drag on the rear to balance it up. This was one of the major challenges with the new LMP regs as the pushed the centre of pressure forward.

Mr Elleray??? We know you read these threads or are you 'taking the fifth' ?