Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Sep 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3769020)   #151
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points well made Simon. If you want to play or comment on a sport you might at least be vaguely familiar with the rules. You don't have to like them, you just have to know and understand what they are. Otherwise you keep making the same point again and again. And again.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3769035)   #152
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I would say that there is a big difference in building a compliant MGB from an existing road car than building brand new cars (continuations) evennif to the same spec as in period.

I tbink it was Zef who said that "the 6 Hours is no longer a place for old cars"!!!
If more people were racing MGBs, etc and the 6 Hours was an event that encouraged such participation then even more people who are not millionaires could race..

I still think there is a place for a separate race for under 2 lire cars but then we will all be moaning about Spyder chassied Elans and brand new Marcos etc lol!
I still think that the earlier 6hr races95,96 were much more entertaining,both for spectators and drivers alike.At least the scrutineers were doing their jobs prperly!
The amount of silly little carbon fibre add ons gave testament to the scrutineers either,didnt notice/didnt have the time/couldnt care less.Carbon fibre dash panels,air scoops,you name it and you could have found it.
I think the comparison between the Spa 6hr and 'Clares' a little lame,there are a damn site more people who would jump at the chance of racing at Spa without the Cobras,GT40s whatever.
As for millionairs,yes,I know a few,and none of them spend to win like some owners.But,we have been here before,on many occasions and bugger all ever gets done about the route Historics is going.
How long before the spend to win brigade get tired of spending and turn their attention to something else?Very soon I hope.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3769036)   #153
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post

I suspect the lower budget Six Hours idea and support for that could be usefully debated with Clare......
I can guess how much time, effort and money Claire put in to trying to establish a club level 6 hours because i was partially involved for a while and entered 2. However Vincent and Co may find it easier to put on a sub 2 litre sports and saloon car race at Spa as part of one of their bigger meetings.

It would be nice if the Spa 6 wasnt just the preserve of the big banger sports cars, and perhaps the easiest wY of doing that is to split the grid in to two seprate 6 hour races!
Old 21 Sep 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3769037)   #154
one-two
Racer

Come on guys. If there was an under 2 litre race you would be moaning about how fast someone was, how big their engine was and how much it all cost!
Old 21 Sep 2017, 12:22 (Ref:3769043)   #155
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
Come on guys. If there was an under 2 litre race you would be moaning about how fast someone was, how big their engine was and how much it all cost!
Here we go full circle. I remember when I joined Ten Tenths 10 years ago. Who will be the first to do a sub 3 min in a MGB.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3769046)   #156
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking at the photos I've seen so far the photographers tend to concentrate on the big bangers/more exotic machinery. Doesn't matter which race, the Cobras Mustangs, GT40 etc. get the most coverage.

If a smaller car is pictured it's normally because it's being passed by something more rapid. On that basis I can't see how more smaller class cars would make the event more attractive.

Of course the one thing that would make a difference to the machinery on display would be for those with smaller cars to get their entries in early. I believe it's first come first served so there's no excuse.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3769084)   #157
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
U2TC came about because of the influx of V8 lard buses when the $ was worthless making it cheap to go faster . . . . then after 2 years U2TC exploded into an arms race of development never seen before. That kind of development is now the norm, to the point you don't have to bother with development, you just buy a new car which has had all the development done before you sign the cheque. Win a pot with it at a big meeting then flog it the week after!
Old 21 Sep 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3769122)   #158
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Time for a separate race for saloons and Sports car < 2 litres?
My response to the above on Aug 28th- "There's only one 'Spa 6hrs' and in my opinion it would reduce the standing of the event to have different races for different categories. It didn't work for the Guards Trophy, and as a result we have lost the Autosport 3hr race....."

Quote:
I can guess how much time, effort and money Claire put in to trying to establish a club level 6 hours because i was partially involved for a while and entered 2. However Vincent and Co may find it easier to put on a sub 2 litre sports and saloon car race at Spa as part of one of their bigger meetings.

It would be nice if the Spa 6 wasnt just the preserve of the big banger sports cars, and perhaps the easiest wY of doing that is to split the grid in to two seprate 6 hour races!
My response to the above today- "There's only one 'Spa 6hrs' and in my opinion it would reduce the standing of the event to have different races for different categories. It didn't work for the Guards Trophy, and as a result we have lost the Autosport 3hr race....."

Quote:
Yes, it would simply be an under 2 litre arms race, instead of an mixed capacity arms race......
Old 21 Sep 2017, 19:10 (Ref:3769132)   #159
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I won't change your mind, Mike, and I accept it would be "an under 2 litre arms race" at the front but I don't see any reason why there should just be one Spa 6 hours (assuming there was the demand, and assuming they are aimed at different target audiences, and Spa does seem to have an attraction for many racers) and I do see the increasing prevalence of the GT40s etc etc as off putting to those with more (sort of) accessible cars.

Ho hum.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 20:50 (Ref:3769151)   #160
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Here we go full circle. I remember when I joined Ten Tenths 10 years ago. Who will be the first to do a sub 3 min in a MGB.
Easy you could even do it in an Anglia !!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	spa2.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	50518
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Sep 2017, 21:28 (Ref:3769156)   #161
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Cylinder head aside its closer to App K than some cars we've seen.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 02:42 (Ref:3769191)   #162
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Easy you could even do it in an Anglia !!!!Attachment 50518
Not so International back then Gordon. Maybe that has some influence on the matter?
Old 22 Sep 2017, 07:09 (Ref:3769219)   #163
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Fast fro an Anglia of course. But Saloon Cars are kind of Modsports and the track was probably slightly different.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 08:18 (Ref:3769232)   #164
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Not so International back then Gordon. Maybe that has some influence on the matter?
10 years ago it was.Click image for larger version

Name:	spa 2007.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	544.0 KB
ID:	50519
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Sep 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3769233)   #165
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
RAM Cobra! GTD40! At least they were more honest about their replicas then!!!
Old 22 Sep 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3769234)   #166
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
This is a damp qualifying from 2004Click image for larger version

Name:	Spa_zpslmllkthg.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	50520
Old 22 Sep 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3769235)   #167
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
RAM Cobra! GTD40! At least they were more honest about their replicas then!!!
That's Barry's race, and replicas have always been a part of it.....
Old 22 Sep 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3769237)   #168
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Fast fro an Anglia of course. But Saloon Cars are kind of Modsports and the track was probably slightly different.
Gerard, I think if you took a look at my Anglia you would be surprised at how "unmodified" it is. It still has a leaf spring rear end and front suspension similar to how it came out of the factory complete with steering box also still powered by a Kent pushrod engine. All of my races were done on Yokohama road legal tyres.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3769242)   #169
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
U2TC 2007. it was about £500 a race then as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG.jpg  
Old 22 Sep 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3769249)   #170
one-two
Racer

Maybe it's time for a new forum JT. Instead of historic racing today it could be called historic racing ten or twenty years ago. Everything was so much better then
Old 22 Sep 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3769250)   #171
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noticed that it wasn't the Cortinafest that it has now become and there were far more Alfas entered. How did the race go, Joe?
Old 22 Sep 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3769258)   #172
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I can't remember much Peter . . . aside brakes fading toward the end as I still had steel wheels on from Goodwood a few weeks prior, no air gets through them.

It must have been cheaper & easier then as I've not done GW/Spa both in the same year since!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001.jpg  
Old 22 Sep 2017, 15:49 (Ref:3769280)   #173
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Maybe it's time for a new forum JT. Instead of historic racing today it could be called historic racing ten or twenty years ago. Everything was so much better then
It was, at least you could do it on a shoestring in comparison with today.
Racing has always been expensive but with newer regulations regarding towing/fuel costs/ever increasing entry fees/silly historic car prices etc the "normal" working bloke with a mortgage can't afford to have a go.

I counted myself very lucky in that I had most of my racing entries and parts paid for by sponsors that I picked up along the way, there was no way that I could have done any of it "competitively" on my own unless I was really silly and re-mortgaged my house ! like some that I know ! who lost everything thinking that they were the next Max Verstappen
Old 22 Sep 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3769281)   #174
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Gordon I do believe you about your Anglia stage of development. As you can guess, from the list you publish I do know many competitors (mainly French) and their cars. For instance, Christophe's 911 was something like full Grp 5, Claude's 2002 running a M12/7, Olivier's Camaro a light Group 2 and so on… Mainly on slicks. From my understanding, our french Saloon Cars could be compared to your Modsports. Is that right?
Old 22 Sep 2017, 16:21 (Ref:3769288)   #175
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Gordon I do believe you about your Anglia stage of development. As you can guess, from the list you publish I do know many competitors (mainly French) and their cars. For instance, Christophe's 911 was something like full Grp 5, Claude's 2002 running a M12/7, Olivier's Camaro a light Group 2 and so on… Mainly on slicks. From my understanding, our french Saloon Cars could be compared to your Modsports. Is that right?
Probably (and more beside) ! I think that the French race that I entered they took my money after looking at my car and decided that I would be down at the blunt end of the race, some of the cars had tyres wider than my car