Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 19 Mar 2019, 22:29 (Ref:3891955)   #61
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Secondly the facility: pretty basic.
It's a dump. A wonderful, lovely, magnificent, historic dump.

I'm sorry I missed the trip this year. Not sorry I missed the rain.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 22:31 (Ref:3891956)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
I think thatís part of the attraction the dump. Itís usually good racing wise. The rain canít be controlled
Old 19 Mar 2019, 23:26 (Ref:3891973)   #63
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!skycafe has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I had breakfast in a proper American diner as well, grits an' all!

Sleeping in an SUV was fine, I'm thankfully not very tall! And yes ... portaloos (as we call them in the UK) ... fine on day one, best avoided on day three :-)

This isn't an event for the faint-of-heart.
Well shucks, if you had grits you were all set! (Next time ask for some bacon grease to be dribbled in, and a bit of shredded cheese if they have it)

'Portaloo' sound all together too posh . I have always lucked out to have availed in the wake of the cleaning crew, so not so bad.

I grew up in Central FL., so Sebring was always somewhat easy in the sense of having the comfort items along for the ride, and I would know what to expect of the weather, so less of a surprise factor there. Shade is a challenge, one more pressing with the lack of hair on my head, so I prize a decent hat and a few moments in the shade of motorhomes or trucks.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 23:41 (Ref:3891977)   #64
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
I like the idea of chucks there. Certainly they do things different in Sebring. I guess if youíve been going long enough you can put up with little niggles here and there
Old 20 Mar 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3892173)   #65
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Link to 12 Hours galleries can be found in the race thread on 10/10ths. There will also be full WEC, Michelin Pilot Challenge and P3 galleries in due course

First time back at Sebring since 2013 primarily based on getting two races for the price of one - and the hope for warm, sunny Florida weather ... Whilst Friday delivered on the latter almost to excess, Saturday morning brought mixed feelings. I do like photographing cars in the rain for the very different feel it brings and I did have the right clothing.

Thoroughly enjoyed being back there (last time was 2013) and it seems that there were a number of new spectator mounds and grandstands which are most welcome. There's still a lack of shade for us sensitive Brits though. Slightly surprised that despite the large number of people there it rarely felt crowded.

Double header again in 2020 is very tempting !
Old 20 Mar 2019, 16:20 (Ref:3892209)   #66
S griffin
Veteran

Well Iíve seen those. Would love to see more photos.

Always interesting to see how races change over time. Certainly rain can be a problem here. Itís the price you pay for going to races. I bet it added to the racing here

Sebring always gives good races, and the series is still going strong, for the moment at least. Crowds are decent, needs more exposure over here, but at least it has a following. Certainly having the IMSA main race, with the WEC as a sideshow seems to have worked
Old 21 Mar 2019, 08:44 (Ref:3892422)   #67
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mudsharks ahoy and other things ...

http://https://flic.kr/s/aHsmwLmbqN
Old 21 Mar 2019, 22:02 (Ref:3892583)   #68
S griffin
Veteran

What an action packed meeting that was, how a long distance sportscar race should be
Old 31 Mar 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3894455)   #69
dwh43scale
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums

Have finally loaded photos from all races - and booked for next year !
Old 8 Oct 2019, 01:03 (Ref:3932573)   #70
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just read through this thread. I've got a few pointers as I'm making the trip in 2020.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Never been to Le Mans, but I am a Le Mans veteran. It will be me and me Dad.

It seems hotel is just not on. So I will venture camping (although we had grown out of that at Le Mans). I think that is fine, but I bet Dad less so.

Tickets? We'll wander round, but I think I'll do the Gurney Terrace.

I am considering bring a classic. Part of the fun being the drive there. Is that a good idea? Could come in a daily, although I wouldn't gain much in size/practicality there.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I'm following the Petit thread as I'll do that too!
Old 8 Oct 2019, 15:33 (Ref:3932728)   #71
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Just read through this thread. I've got a few pointers as I'm making the trip in 2020.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Never been to Le Mans, but I am a Le Mans veteran. It will be me and me Dad.

It seems hotel is just not on. So I will venture camping (although we had grown out of that at Le Mans). I think that is fine, but I bet Dad less so.

I am considering bring a classic. Part of the fun being the drive there. Is that a good idea? Could come in a daily, although I wouldn't gain much in size/practicality there.

Any thoughts?

From DC, that's a haul. NC, SC and GA are pretty, but not really from the interstates.

I'd lean on the previous comments on the Gurney Terrace.

Camping there is interesting, to say the least. I feel like to truly experience Sebring, camping is a must but it could be relentless. Rent RV for Pops, if that's in the budget.

Coming and going from the track in a car sounds awful, but I've never done it. I'll let someone else who may have done so to describe my perceived challenges of traffic and parking.

Can't wait to see you at PLM!!
Old 8 Oct 2019, 18:45 (Ref:3932768)   #72
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Any thoughts?

one thing is for sure.. you will enjoy it!!!
and i'm going again in 2020

PS .. me too

Ciao Marco
Old 8 Oct 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3932784)   #73
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Both events / tracks are so different, but there's plenty in the southeastern US that do both every year. Sebring is a huge commitment for me while Road Atlanta is a nice little 40 min drive through the countryside away!

Would love for more people to discover Road Atlanta. It's the best.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 00:05 (Ref:3933009)   #74
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
From DC, that's a haul. NC, SC and GA are pretty, but not really from the interstates.
Part of the fun will be the drive down, so we will probably go off the interstate for some (for Petit the plan is pretty much all off interstate and through Blue Ridge). I am told there is a car train from Florida somewhere to near Baltimore. We might do that on the way back.

Quote:
Camping there is interesting, to say the least. I feel like to truly experience Sebring, camping is a must but it could be relentless. Rent RV for Pops, if that's in the budget.
We will hotel on the way down and on the night after so hopefully that will be fine
Quote:
Coming and going from the track in a car sounds awful, but I've never done it. I'll let someone else who may have done so to describe my perceived challenges of traffic and parking.
Iím not interested. Did it a few times at Le Mans. I like to get there and be settled.
Quote:
Can't wait to see you at PLM!!
Old 10 Oct 2019, 00:06 (Ref:3933010)   #75
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
one thing is for sure.. you will enjoy it!!!
and i'm going again in 2020

PS .. me too
Woo.