Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Mar 2004, 07:34 (Ref:908932)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams's Mistake?

Does Williams make a mistake? Instead to build an evolution car from FW25 (which was proven as the title contender), they build all new car with radical looking nose?

Look at Ferrari. Their F2004, IMHO, was an improvement of all their previous weak areas and have managed to retain their strong points.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 07:42 (Ref:908938)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they have realized that most of the car's stunning summer performance came from tyres much more than from the rest of the car.
Infact FW performed badly at the beginning and at the end of the season (cool weather), being on the contrary dominant in the middle.
Starting from the obvious observation that this conditions weren't sufficient to win the WCC/WDC title, they have apparently chosen to not depend exclusively on tyres, and build up a car that be good itself.
IMO ther was no alternative, cos nobody can be sure that Michelin heat dominance will continue this year.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 07:48 (Ref:908943)   #3
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Williams were getting sick of coming 2nd year in year out and I applaud them for trying something new and radical.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 07:56 (Ref:908947)   #4
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hindsight is a beautiful thing
Old 18 Mar 2004, 08:18 (Ref:908964)   #5
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Infact FW performed badly at the beginning and at the end of the season (cool weather), being on the contrary dominant in the middle.
Yup, FW25 performed badly at the beginning, but not at the end. In Suzuka Montoya would beat Rubens easily if the car didn't break down. We could said, he had a win in his hand.

Ralf also quicker than Michael, at least had same pace. He had the car to collect point if didn't made too much mistake.

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 18 Mar 2004 at 08:19.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 08:22 (Ref:908970)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good precisation Led, but it's undisputable that, regardless of Suzuka particular conditions, FW have been dominant only during the hot summer.
You say that JPM would have easily won, well, even supposing that (i'm not that sure) it wouldn't have been a walkover like at Hungaroring.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 08:40 (Ref:908985)   #7
Kid Prozac
Racer

Kid Prozac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand it. Just because the Williams has got a different nose it is seen as radical. How do we know that the rest of the car is not an evolution?

Its said that the Ferrari is an evolution because it looks the same, but I'm sure its got a different nose on, so why aren't we calling that radical?

Basically unlessyou work for a team, you can't judge how radical or how good a car is going to perform based on the shape of its nosecone............
Old 18 Mar 2004, 08:46 (Ref:908991)   #8
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Climb, agree with you. Williams had been dominant only during the hot summer.

But I still though that they have the pace to win a race (not dominated) in Monza (if Montoya make no mistake in qualifying, and had right set up --too much downforce?), and Suzuka (if the car didn't give up).

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 18 Mar 2004 at 08:47.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 09:00 (Ref:909004)   #9
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Kid Prozac,

I said, FW26 had radical looking nose. I didn said FW26 was a radical car.

And, "How do we know that the rest of the car is not an evolution?" I didn't know. But, CMIIW, Gavin Fisher (Williams's chief designer) had said that FW26 was all new car, not evolution from FW25.

F-2004 was evolution from F2003-GA? I think Ferrari (Ross Brawn or Rory Birne?) had admit its.

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 18 Mar 2004 at 09:06.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 17:32 (Ref:909492)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only one race and we say Williams made a mistake?

Head had always wanted to switch to the twin keel format, and Michelins sort of work better with that nose-package, so really its' not an issue. Williams had built conservative evolutions for many years, so really it kinds of catch people off guard for Williams to dare such a radical approach.

Curiously, Ferrari tried this 'walrus' design 3 years back, and ditched it due to some problems and the lack of significant performance improvementsto warrant the problems. Then, one fellow who's involved in this project, a certain Terzi, decides to jump ship...
Old 18 Mar 2004, 18:48 (Ref:909557)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah, no mistake made. If they'd gone on an evolution of the second best car then there's no way they would ever catch up. They needed to go radical and did and for all we know it's worked. It's very difficult to say either way after just one race.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 18:56 (Ref:909567)   #12
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Led ZeppF1
Kid Prozac,

I said, FW26 had radical looking nose. I didn said FW26 was a radical car.

And, "How do we know that the rest of the car is not an evolution?" I didn't know. But, CMIIW, Gavin Fisher (Williams's chief designer) had said that FW26 was all new car, not evolution from FW25.

F-2004 was evolution from F2003-GA? I think Ferrari (Ross Brawn or Rory Birne?) had admit its.
The FW26 not only has the distinctive nose, but it is also a double-keel car, and I don't think the 25 was. That is a huge change. And we have no idea how the internal packaging, anciliary components, and suspension geometries have changed (or not) to base an evolution vs. revolution call on... but I think it's clearly not an evolution.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 19:04 (Ref:909577)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's impossible for a single keel car to "evolve" into in twin keel car! Both have completely different design principles behind them, meaning that the FW26 has to be a completely different car from the ground up. The nose is how it is for a reason, it's to take fullest advantage of the benefits that the twin keel layout offers, the old nose simply wouldn't work anymore.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 08:39 (Ref:910418)   #14
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
It's very difficult to say either way after just one race.
Yup. You are right.

I just read an analysis in gp2003.com (Our spies in Melbourne report) that FW26 has too much downforce in front compared to that in the rear and it also has poor traction.

At Imola the Williams engineers measured the car 10kph slower than the Ferrari 100 meters after the exit of the final chicane. The reason for that weakness is partly due to insufficient traction control and suspension geometry.

http://www.gp2003.com/index.php?lang=uk
Old 19 Mar 2004, 09:05 (Ref:910443)   #15
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new nosecone of William's is more like the old raised nosecone design adopted in the late nineties but with style
Old 19 Mar 2004, 10:22 (Ref:910519)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Led ZeppF1
that FW26 has too much downforce in front compared to that in the rear and it also has poor traction.

At Imola the Williams engineers measured the car 10kph slower than the Ferrari 100 meters after the exit of the final chicane.
Iirc, don't Williams have to run more weight at the front for the nose and twin-keel? maybe this is the reason for too much downforce and slower speed?
Old 19 Mar 2004, 11:34 (Ref:910604)   #17
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At virtually all circuits there is really no such thing as too much downforce (especially if you've got a BMW in the back) - rather the problem would be too little at the back in relation to the front, and also in relation to the tyre usage. That was the kind of imbalance that Ferrari struggled with throughout 2003, although I believe that was to do with weight distribution rather than aero.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 13:29 (Ref:910725)   #18
1 Lotus
Rookie

1 Lotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it FAR TO EARLY in the season to call their radically different front view a 'mistake' and I also think they will very probably be right in the mix for second place.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 13:49 (Ref:910755)   #19
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess that no one remembers that the BMW people asked for a brand new paradigm and for this FW 26 got their hands into the chassis development.
It's too early to begin calling the Williams a failure or mistake as it is too early for McLaren to give up on that crapy Merc.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 14:08 (Ref:910777)   #20
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought this was a Ralfie thread...
Old 19 Mar 2004, 14:18 (Ref:910787)   #21
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Williams will consider any car not capable of taking the WCC away from Ferrari a failure. That being said, if you can't beat your competition by evolving what you have, you must make a radical change, which they have done. Maybe that will make the FW26 'less of a failure' than the FW25 (unless they are able to unseat Ferrari by the end of the year, which wouldn't make it a failure at all!!! )
Old 24 Mar 2004, 05:10 (Ref:917413)   #22
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
Maybe that will make the FW26 'less of a failure' than the FW25 (unless they are able to unseat Ferrari by the end of the year, which wouldn't make it a failure at all!!! )
IMHO, FW25 was not 'a failure car'. Yes, FW25 was strugling in the beginning of last season. But since Monaco, Williams had the best package in the grid, or at least equal with Ferrari.

In fact, FW26 also strugling in opening race in Melbourne. They failed to catch Ferrari's pace. In Malaysia FW26 perform better, but still failed to beat Ferrari.

But, I agree is too early to conclusion that Williams make mistake in their approach to building car. We have to wacth some races again to have better view.

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 24 Mar 2004 at 05:18.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 05:11 (Ref:917414)   #23
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Double post, ignoring.

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 24 Mar 2004 at 05:19.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 05:43 (Ref:917427)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you put a BMW or Toyota engine in an MP 4/19 McLaren I think we'd probably see more of a challenge to Ferrari!