Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Sep 2011, 23:52 (Ref:2952460)   #226
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This is a great conversation, please continue...
Old 8 Sep 2011, 00:58 (Ref:2952470)   #227
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
This is a great conversation, please continue...

These days, everything on an F1 car is just better than it was 25-30 years ago. The aero is better, even though the wings etc are smaller. The tyres are better, even though the tyres are smaller. The brakes are better, even though the brakes are smaller. The engines don't need to produce 1000-1500 bhp in order to blow away the turbo cars of yesteryear. That's progress!

The 80's car were great to watch because they had more power than grip (aero and mechanical), and things like the brakes and suspension weren't as good. The drivers also had a manual gear change etc.

The trouble is that you can't 'unlearn' aero and mechanical grip etc, but Pirelli are having a go at it!
Old 8 Sep 2011, 01:08 (Ref:2952473)   #228
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Fantastic,you are right, apart from better maybe I would say different..

This is the problem with progress, what does that word mean anyway?
Old 8 Sep 2011, 01:12 (Ref:2952474)   #229
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I guess all is explained above, what else do we have to discuss ????

Where's my XBox 360 again ?
Old 8 Sep 2011, 01:23 (Ref:2952479)   #230
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Well, I guess all is explained above, what else do we have to discuss ????

Where's my XBox 360 again ?

Old 8 Sep 2011, 03:53 (Ref:2952503)   #231
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Fantastic,you are right, apart from better maybe I would say different..

This is the problem with progress, what does that word mean anyway?
There is definitely a sense in which they are better, but I see your point, perhaps we should settle for "more efficient".
Old 27 Sep 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2961832)   #232
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, they make the cars go faster. In motorsports, that is the definition of better.