Romain Grosjean 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Jul 2020, 17:22 (Ref:3988027)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's fair, my comment was made largely in jest......
Old 13 Jul 2020, 19:51 (Ref:3988070)   #27
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I honestly don't care much about Perez's mistake - since he charged from 17th to nearly passing a Red Bull on sheer pace, and managed to hold onto only making 11 places from his starting position instead of a possible 13, still giving it to him...
Old 13 Jul 2020, 20:47 (Ref:3988082)   #28
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis with kudos to Lando.
Old 13 Jul 2020, 21:28 (Ref:3988101)   #29
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, Driver of the Grand Prix is left open to interpretation - it can certainly include the GP weekend as a whole.

Top job by Hamilton, reaffirming what a driver he is with an excellent qually and possibly flawless race. Norris was racey and seems to be growing in confidence. Again, a worthy contender. Pérez had a solid battle through the field.

I will go for Verstappen in fact. Really excellent stuff against Bottas. The Red Bull is the nearest contender to Mercedes, but is not on their pace yet, in theory. Yet he dominated his team-mate and seemed to extract it all from the car (and a bit more in the qualifying spin).
Old 14 Jul 2020, 06:47 (Ref:3988142)   #30
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Qualifying sets up the race, so if a driver does something exceptional in qualifying I factor it in. It is the first high pressure point of the weekend, possibly the highest.

Practice is always discounted as I regard that as experimental.
Old 14 Jul 2020, 13:08 (Ref:3988213)   #31
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Lewis blew everyone away in qualifying and dominated the race - but starting from the front in a Mercedes he was always going to do that. Was it a great race drive? No, not really. You got the impression that he really wasn't having to try very hard at all.

Sooo - Norris gets the vote mainly for the last lap opportunism. Good work from McLaren to switch the drivers, without that Norris wouldn't have got a far as he did.
Arguably Norris didn't have to try too hard on the last lap with the opportunism. I know what you mean about the race drive Hamilton had, though. I sometimes resist giving it to the winning driver on that basis, but sometimes I have to see past that.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 09:00 (Ref:3988487)   #32
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I've always regarded the Grand Prix, as the whole weekend event. So when it comes to the "Driver of the Grand Prix" poll, I take into account qualifying.
Interesting - I see the Grand Prix as the race only. You're qualifying for the race - the 'big prize'. The 107% rule (and before that pre-qualifying) meant that sometimes a driver/team wouldn't get to take part in the Grand Prix - they'd take part in the Grand Prix weekend but not the Grand Prix itself.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 14:14 (Ref:3988539)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Interesting - I see the Grand Prix as the race only. You're qualifying for the race - the 'big prize'. The 107% rule (and before that pre-qualifying) meant that sometimes a driver/team wouldn't get to take part in the Grand Prix - they'd take part in the Grand Prix weekend but not the Grand Prix itself.
Wasn't the 107% rule introduced to eliminate those cars/drivers, who were considerably slower than the rest of the field from the grid? Prior to its introduction, every entrant could qualify regardless of speed.

Doesn't a team have to enter the event first, before it can take part in free practice, qualifying and ultimately the race?

I came across this, after googling Formula One Grand Prix format.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/formu...rix_format.htm
Old 15 Jul 2020, 14:33 (Ref:3988544)   #34
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wouldn't be an F1 season without a debate on how one should vote on something that is very subjective. its nice that life is returning to normal.

for the record, i have absolutely no system for these votes relying entirely on my feelings. sometimes it follows the finishing order sometimes it focuses on one move or one lap and sometimes just because i am just happy for someone.

would be pretty boring if there was a clear cut metric we all had to apply.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 15:19 (Ref:3988558)   #35
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
When I first started going to The British Grand Prix in the late 70's we used to camp there, generally arriving the night before the F1 teams turned up. So, our first day would be spent watching the teams arrive & un-load the trucks & set up etc. Then there would be two days of free practice (for the F1 teams at least), followed by a day of timed practice sessions for all of the race meeting's races, finally came the big day when they hold the actual F1 race. So for me, the actual race itself was always just a small part of the Grand Prix to me
Old 15 Jul 2020, 19:30 (Ref:3988597)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And don’t forget you had Sunday morning warm up, so you had two opportunities to see them on a Sunday
Old 15 Jul 2020, 19:49 (Ref:3988600)   #37
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For my record..., I have always voted based on driver merit and not on emotion. I have always focused on the race and driving skills. The best car does make a driver look good, but it takes an experienced F1 fan to recognize the merits of a good driver in a sub par car.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 15 Jul 2020, 19:54 (Ref:3988602)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
For my record..., I have always voted based on driver merit and not on emotion. I have always focused on the race and driving skills. The best car does make a driver look good, but it takes an experienced F1 fan to recognize the merits of a good driver in a sub par car.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Not wanting to be rude Pete (as if!) but I would have suggested that some of your past nominations arguably placed emotion a tad in front of merit at times.....
Old 15 Jul 2020, 20:25 (Ref:3988605)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I try to be democratic and give it to different drivers as often as possible
Old 15 Jul 2020, 22:10 (Ref:3988610)   #40
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think this topic comes up occasionally in the post event polls. There are no rules, so everyone plays it slightly differently. I am one of those who look at the entire weekend and not just the race itself. I also may pick a driver or team who did particularly well, even if they didn't win the race. My view is that the seasons points race does a good job of calling out those who win races. These polls can provide more flexibility.

Richard
Old 16 Jul 2020, 04:19 (Ref:3988631)   #41
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
wouldn't be an F1 season without a debate on how one should vote on something that is very subjective. its nice that life is returning to normal.

for the record, i have absolutely no system for these votes relying entirely on my feelings. sometimes it follows the finishing order sometimes it focuses on one move or one lap and sometimes just because i am just happy for someone.

This^^^^

Plus my own votes have at times reflected personal favourites and preferences.*Shock horror*
Old 16 Jul 2020, 09:26 (Ref:3988673)   #42
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Prior to its introduction, every entrant could qualify regardless of speed.
True - but then qualifying is purely to determine your starting position for the Grand Prix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

True dat
Old 16 Jul 2020, 16:00 (Ref:3988755)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
True - but then qualifying is purely to determine your starting position for the Grand Prix.
Absolutely, it's just than in your previous post #32 you said "I see the Grand Prix as the race only. You're qualifying for the race - the 'big prize'". Are qualifying for the race and qualifying to determine the starting position for the Grand Prix the same thing?
Old 16 Jul 2020, 17:32 (Ref:3988776)   #44
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Personally I'm not fussed which way people look at it. I might look askance at a vote for a driver who qualifies on pole by a margin but who bins it on lap 1 being given DOTR, but who are we to judge? (Well, actually we do, all the time..... )
Old 16 Jul 2020, 18:00 (Ref:3988786)   #45
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i think of quali and the race as two separate things and consider that the race is the over riding point. This is grand prix racing not grand prix TT after all.