Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:23 (Ref:915043)   #1
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Villenuve vs Sato

Ok I know we're only 2 races into the season here but i can't help but wonder how Jaques would be doing if he were still at BAR as opposed to how Sato is faring against Button. Last week Button was 6th (and ahead of MW and Kimi before their departures) while Sato finished 9th...and for a better view probably would have been like 10th or 11th having Kimi and MW not retired.

This past weekend Button 3rd while Sato 15th and 4 laps down (even lapped twice by the Toyotas!!! ).

Do you think Richards was correct in firing Villenuve and replacing him w/ Sato? IMHO I don't think so. Villenuve is a great racer and i have no doubt in a class higher than Sato. If this BAR is the real deal i would imagine they could be tied w/ Renault at 14pts if Villenuve were still there.

Your thoughts?
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:31 (Ref:915054)   #2
mcrane2000
Rookie

mcrane2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, JV is obviously the better driver! However I doubt if his sacking was purely motivated by racing ability!

I suggest that dave richards knows Vileneuve is a better driver than Sato, however Villeneuve was constantly holding the team to ransom! He was being paid handsomely and regularly made public outbursts, who knows what went on behind closed doors. I think Richards innevitably made the decision that no individual is better than the team, and in turn kicked him out!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:32 (Ref:915055)   #3
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
!!

Last edited by kdr; 22 Mar 2004 at 13:32.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:40 (Ref:915064)   #4
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we had Villeneuve at BAR, I AM SURE that the car will be as crappy as the Minardi since all money will be going to Jacques' pockets.
As far as I remember Sato spun and I think that's the reason why he was so far away. The guy is a racer, no doubt and I rate him higher than Tora Takagi. However, I think that Sato needs to improve in being a bit more (great bit) calmed.
In other hand, I think that Sato is at the team since Honda=Japan and due to that statement a canadian DRIVER, not RACER made... "If Button beats me, I will retire"
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:47 (Ref:915073)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Villenuve vs Sato

Oh no, not another Villeneuve thread

Quote:
Originally posted by dcp2685

This past weekend Button 3rd while Sato 15th and 4 laps down (even lapped twice by the Toyotas!!! ).

Your thoughts?
What race were you watching?, Sato was in a points scoring position when he blew up 3 laps from the end. that is why he's 2 laps down on the Toyotas

Last edited by Mr V; 22 Mar 2004 at 13:49.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:51 (Ref:915077)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

...and it's only the second race of the season.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:55 (Ref:915083)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
...and BAR would have had Villeneuve's development skills over the winter too.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:56 (Ref:915085)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Sato's done quite well so far (qualified well in Melbourne and raced well in Sepang - he would have got a point if the Honda hadn't detonated).

Villeneuve has gone. He's history. He's an ex F1 driver. He didn't do too well against Button last year, Sato is doing at least as well comparitively.

Besides, I like Sato - he's a complete loon
Old 22 Mar 2004, 13:57 (Ref:915087)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Is that a good or bad point????
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:00 (Ref:915092)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I also think it's worth mentioning....

James Allen made a great deal of the fact that Alonso had made his way upto 10th by the end of lap 1. Sato made his way upto 11th, right behind Alonso by the end of lap 1.

Looking at Sato's spin again, whilst his own fault, he was right under Webbers rear wing going into turn 7. Could lack of downforce, due to being in "dirty air" contributed to this, more than driver error?

Last edited by Mr V; 22 Mar 2004 at 14:01.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:06 (Ref:915104)   #11
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For goodness sake, what is it with mentioning JV all the time?! That point about Sato being 3 laps down made me laugh! I take it that you didn't watch the race?!

JV isn't in F1, he's out because of his attitude and his financial demands. The team wouldn't have produced this car had JV's salary been part of the '04 budget.

Look, JV is gone, no team will want him back, he displayed beautifully his shortcomings at Melbourne '03 (pitting infront of Button, lets face it, that was deliberate) and Suzuka '03 - erm, where was he?!

'nuff said, plus JV is enjoying his life outside F1 so let him get on with his life outside the pinnacle of motorsport. Good luck to him and good luck to Sato in 04!!

Last edited by spider; 22 Mar 2004 at 14:15.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:06 (Ref:915105)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
Yes
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:07 (Ref:915110)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Well said Spider!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:09 (Ref:915113)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Yes
I asked for that really didn't I?
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:13 (Ref:915119)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
Quote:
Yes
Get off the fence Adam
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:15 (Ref:915124)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It was left purposely ambiguous. Besides after that last monster JV thread I forget what I think.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:19 (Ref:915133)   #17
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far BAR seems to be going better now they've got rid of JV. Button seems to be a better team leader than JV ever was and Sato seems to be doing a good job too.

Maybe BAR have now got a package to move in the right direction.

IN THE WORDS OF ANNE ROBINSON "JACQUES VILLENEUVE, YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK, GOODBYE!"

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 22 Mar 2004 at 14:22.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:31 (Ref:915149)   #18
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Among the implications of JV's absence: the possibility of serene working at BAR. Not a secondary aspect IMO.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:31 (Ref:915150)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water......'
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:49 (Ref:915166)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
'Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water......'
HELP !!!!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 14:55 (Ref:915174)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
facco's nailed it really. This is the ebst BAR to date, partly because the money JKV used to cost is being put towards it. The other benefit this season is that JV isn't calling the shots - his development skills don't seem to have been too impressive, especially compared to Panis.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 15:00 (Ref:915181)   #22
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think Sato is doing well, imho Villenuve lost his passion for the sport as well as making some enemies along the way.
Sato is the right man for the job.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 15:13 (Ref:915201)   #23
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple really....

With no JV = More money for team better car = better button & sato

I think Sato is **** along with massa neither of them have learned anything in their years testing and don't deserve to in F1.

JV was a former champ in F1 & indy but made the hideous choice of trying to lead a team when he should of went to an established team like mclaren ofr example.

Button is ok now that he has a good car just like he was and anyone else would be in a good car.

If JV was in the BAR he for sure would be outdoing Sato but because of his high salary demands this was never going ot be the case
Old 22 Mar 2004, 15:18 (Ref:915212)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tiptop, he made the RIGHT choice: to try to lead a team. Wrong was that he failed.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 15:22 (Ref:915217)   #25
bulldogspirit
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
bulldogspirit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not just the money factor, but a team where everyone is pulling together in the right direction it surely more successful than one where one driver pulls one way and everyone else the other. Sato brings together the Honda crew and BAR team more than JV ever would have done. Plus Button was very thankful of the team in the press-conference yesterday, can you see JV being so gracious of his team?
In a straight run off JV would probly be faster than Sato, but a BAR with JV wouldn't be running as highly as it is now. For the 1st time everyone at BAR seems to be happy, and it's translating onto the track.