Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 1 Jun 2002, 05:58 (Ref:302121)   #1
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VD Goorbergh

Jurgen VD Goorbergh improved his time by 2.5 seconds today after he told Kanemoto that he had "had it"(he had a time of 1.56.040 in FP1), and he wanted a totaly different setup(they where using Honda's recomadations before, but that did'nt work with Bridgestone tires), the mechanics changed the setup and it worked: Jurgen posted a time of 1.53.514 in the first qualifying(11th place), wich is the best they had done this year.

Old 1 Jun 2002, 06:45 (Ref:302128)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I knew he had it in him!

Good stuff Jurgen. Keep it up for the race.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 06:53 (Ref:302132)   #3
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im more surprised by the fact that laconi has his cube in front of aoki and not in last place which is where he usually his at this point.

hopkins in 7th?

and who is PETRINI riding an apirlia way down in 21st?
http://moto.racing-live.com/en/season/live/live2.shtml
Old 1 Jun 2002, 07:05 (Ref:302138)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Petrini is a mistake. He's in the 125cc. I've noticed that too as some 250cc or 125cc always ends up 21st in the MotoGP timing screen.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 07:10 (Ref:302139)   #5
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks. the name sounded fimiliar more and more i thought about it, but couldnt put my finger on it.

btw - when is aprilia going to replace laconi on the cube?
Old 1 Jun 2002, 07:46 (Ref:302143)   #6
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what took Jurgen so long?
Sounds like Erv had a set-up in his head that would work with the tyres.. all v strange
Old 1 Jun 2002, 08:53 (Ref:302149)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by asha
what took Jurgen so long?
Sounds like Erv had a set-up in his head that would work with the tyres.. all v strange
Nu, Erv's setup did'nt work, Jurgen and his brother figured that one out......
Old 1 Jun 2002, 20:34 (Ref:302508)   #8
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its time someone made some noise for Laconi getting the Aprilia 5th on the grid!
Old 1 Jun 2002, 22:17 (Ref:302544)   #9
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: VD Goorbergh

Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
Jurgen VD Goorbergh improved his time by 2.5 seconds today after he told Kanemoto that he had "had it"(he had a time of 1.56.040 in FP1), and he wanted a totaly different setup(they where using Honda's recomadations before, but that did'nt work with Bridgestone tires), the mechanics changed the setup and it worked: Jurgen posted a time of 1.53.514 in the first qualifying(11th place), wich is the best they had done this year.
On a side-note: Frentzen has been ousted at two F1-teams for demanding such things ... and bashed by fans afterwards, who in general think less of him because of that.

Pretty strange, maybe MotoGP is open enough that stories like this come out and drivers get the credit they deserve instead of the other way around in the F1 community.
Old 3 Jun 2002, 08:15 (Ref:303196)   #10
Gerrit
Racer

Gerrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laconi's qualifying time is no surprise- Mugello is Aprilia's test track and the RS3 has probably worn a deep groove in the track surface.
This looks like being a totally wasted season for Jurgen- the NSR has the capabilities, so does Jurgen, but the tyres are what hold him back. He would have been better off with Team Roberts and the KR3. HRC are undoubtedly using him as a guinea pig, as Suzuki used Wil Hartog to test production racer prototypes rather than supplying him with full works XRs.
Old 3 Jun 2002, 18:34 (Ref:303648)   #11
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerrit
Laconi's qualifying time is no surprise- Mugello is Aprilia's test track and the RS3 has probably worn a deep groove in the track surface.
This looks like being a totally wasted season for Jurgen- the NSR has the capabilities, so does Jurgen, but the tyres are what hold him back. He would have been better off with Team Roberts and the KR3. HRC are undoubtedly using him as a guinea pig, as Suzuki used Wil Hartog to test production racer prototypes rather than supplying him with full works XRs.
Proton are using the same tyres.

Old 4 Jun 2002, 08:18 (Ref:304115)   #12
Gerrit
Racer

Yes, the KR3 is using Bridgestones too...... but for some reason they work much better on the KR3 than on the NSR. Very strange, since Team Kanemoto tested the Bs last year with NSRs and not with the KR3. But the KR3 does have a 15 kg weight advantage, which of course does reduce the tyre loadings somewhat. For the NSR, however, B have not come up with tyres that work as well as the Michelins....... or the Dunlops for that matter.
Old 4 Jun 2002, 09:45 (Ref:304195)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Who here reckons that if Jurgen has stayed with KR3 that he's be producing even better results than Aoki and McWilliams?
Old 4 Jun 2002, 11:14 (Ref:304296)   #14
Gerrit
Racer

I do, for one. When Jurgen announced he would leave Team roberts I worked out that he would go to Erv Kanemoto's team. My guess proved to be right, and I mailed Jurgen that this would be the wrong choice because of the Bridgestones. What I did not expect was that Team Roberts would also switch to Bridgestone, and I certainly did not expect the KR3 to do better because the development work for Bridgestone had all been done on NSRs. Also Bridgestone's record in 125 was nothing spectacular.
Unfortunately, events have proved me right. Jurgen should have stayed with Team Roberts, on a bike he developed over the 2001 season. Now, others are reaping the fruits of his work- and doing better than he is on a bike that is (on paper) inferior to the NSR. Jurgen would probably have done better than either Aoki or McW have. Instead, he is struggling, and doing nothing to improve his standing as a rider.