Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which point of the FIA nine point plan do you consider the best
Driver Swapping 5 15.15%
Aggregated qualifying 5 15.15%
Bespoke tyres 0 0%
Success ballast for drivers 1 3.03%
Testing restrictions 4 12.12%
Aerodynamic freeze 5 15.15%
Long Life engines 0 0%
Long Life gearboxes 0 0%
Standardised parts including ECU's 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:16 (Ref:400201)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Which point of the FIA 9 point plan do you think is the best?

Just vote for the one point you consider the best.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:34 (Ref:400221)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what point of view? The funiest of course should be driver swapping.... Just kidding, I voted for quals sessions. That makes sure that quals like France 1999 for example will never repeat.

Last edited by Red; 10 Oct 2002 at 12:35.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:39 (Ref:400227)   #3
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I've said elsewhere, standardised electronics can lead to much more!
Old 10 Oct 2002, 13:09 (Ref:400267)   #4
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally agree woodbine, although it is a tad F3000ish. Bring back the stick!
Old 10 Oct 2002, 13:16 (Ref:400276)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thhhhrrrrrrppppppp...... toughie, this. Hang on. Thinking.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 14:06 (Ref:400323)   #6
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
alchemy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think this is an early April fools wind-up!

I can’t believe this is the best the FIA can come up with. If it is then RIP Formula one!

1. Driver swapping. - Does that mean we could see Schumacher in a Minardi? He wouldn’t play, he’s forgotten all he knew about wheel to wheel racing - its so long since he’s done any!

2. Aggregated qualifying. Do they mean ‘Aggravated qualifying?’ Joking aside, that seems a goer

3. Bespoke tyres. - Can someone explain to a dummy like me how that keeps the cost down?

4. Success ballast. - The purist side of me tells me its wrong, but in the absence of the FIA’s ability to create a proper set of rules, then its a quick fix.But that's all it is.

5. Testing restrictions. Does that mean Fiorano becomes a housing estate?

6. Aerodynamic freeze . Too complex to police.

7. Long-life engines. - If teams are allowed to rebuild them - then the costs must only increase as the well funded teams will have a mobile re-build workshop at the tracks. If they are NOT allowed to rebuild then at ‘blow-up’ tracks we might have a 10 car grid. What use is that?

8. Long-life gearbox. Too complex to even think about!

9. Standardised parts. Who are they kidding? That’s the most open to cheating part of any of it!

10. Get rid of Max Mosley. - Great idea!
Old 10 Oct 2002, 14:11 (Ref:400331)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if they can police option #9 properly, then it could/should work
Old 10 Oct 2002, 14:14 (Ref:400334)   #8
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My fave it the fact this thread is here twice
Old 10 Oct 2002, 15:01 (Ref:400377)   #9
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dont think that there is a single 'excellent' point in that list though some might be considered good. Personally I would like to see points being introduced for Top 6 qualifying grid positions and also points for fastest lap of the race.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 15:41 (Ref:400408)   #10
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
testing ban.....

Total testing ban ! .....no testing simulators at the factory and a extra days running at the grand prix weekend to try out the new parts...and a ban on privately owned track testing too.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 15:42 (Ref:400410)   #11
kev
Rookie

kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think any of them could be consiederd good.
Except perhaps point 10. kindly added by alchemy.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 15:53 (Ref:400426)   #12
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
testing ban.....
Total testing ban !
Thats just impossible!! Ferrari will built an underground circuit underneath Maranello within 2 months!!!
Old 10 Oct 2002, 16:03 (Ref:400439)   #13
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ban testing but have unrestricted running at the Grand Prix Venue on Tursday and Friday. That would significantly reduce costs I would have thought. None of this one engine rubbish either.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 16:22 (Ref:400449)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None of them are any good. Except Option 10: Get Rid of Max Mosley.

I prefer Option 11: Get Rid of Everything Bernie Has Done Since He Took Over. BACK TO THE TURBO ERA!

Or Option 12: No drivers under age 30 or with no experience in any other kind of racing; i.e. everyone must show proof he has raced in sports cars, rally cars, go-karts and on dirt oval quarter miles before he is granted a superlicense. (That's why they have to be 30 years old or older.) And I don't mean just showed up and drove 3 laps. I mean RACED, like Mario.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 16:37 (Ref:400460)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Back 2 Basics... Sounds great 2 me!
With todays safety technology, Hmmm... i wonder...
Old 10 Oct 2002, 20:12 (Ref:400619)   #16
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I voted for Driver swapping.

However, I think none of the ideas is good as it stands.
The first two however, could be good when modified.
The driver swap would make the "swapped" races more interesting, but I think it is impossible for technical reasons.
The 4 qualifying sessions would make qualifying more interesting. But it would be very harsh for any driver who would fail to set a time in each of the four sessions.

Testing restrictions and aerodynamic freezing would make the races even less interesting than they are at the moment.

If each of these points would be implemented at the same time, I think we would end up with a WCC which is even more predictable (in that the best car would probably win each race), and with a random driver as WDC (because the best drivers would miss lots of points both because of the handicap and because of races they cannot start because some other driver has destroyed "his" engine and/or "his" gearbox.
And we would probably have much more serious accidents, both because of cars having an inapropriate aerodynamics setting and because of non-top-drivers having a serious go at the championship.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 21:50 (Ref:400701)   #17
Ferrari27
Rookie

Ferrari27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone please remind me what happened at qulie in France in '99?
Old 10 Oct 2002, 22:45 (Ref:400740)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Wasn't France 99 that really exciting wet qualifying session that ITV didn't show live?

Anyway here is my rant:

AAARRRGGHHH!!!!! (scream therapy) Where oh where does it say in this 9 point dossier that mechanical grip is going to be increased and aero decreased? FOOOOOOLS, they really are a bunch of brainless morons, giving the drivers cars that can actually race would be nice, after all you could stick Frenzen in a Minardi and Bernoldi in an Arrows but they still wouldn't be able to overtake each other!

Give them back mechanical grip you bunch of snow kings!
Old 10 Oct 2002, 23:25 (Ref:400763)   #19
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This 9 point plan is an absolute joke. I think the only one that could possibly have a snowball's chance in he!! would be aggragate qualifying, but what good will that do us on raceday?? More passing (POSSIBLY) for the first 2 laps??? AAAARRRGGGHHHH. Come on guys!!!

9 suggestions:
1. More Mechanical Grip (adjust the track/wheelbase ratio, for starters)
2. Less downforce
3. No part-lifetime rules
4. Manual gearchanges (go ahead and keep the TC, see how much good it does you...)
5. No test bans
6. No weight penalties (they're not freakin' horses!!!)
7. No stupid 'avoidable incident' penalties, or at least ones that make more sense (My first suggestion is a 1 race ban for stuffing it in the fence while trying to get out of your teammate's way---sorry, Takuma...)
8. uh-oh, I'm out of ideas. Just let them race!!!
Old 11 Oct 2002, 05:23 (Ref:400876)   #20
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1999 quals at Magny Cours were under rain. But the rains started 2 minutes after 14:00 hours, so actually a couple of drivers could do a lap. That's why Barrichello's Stewart got a pole, Alesi's Sauber got the front row too. The big boys, wisely decided to stay in the pits and wait the "quick shower" to end then start to do business. 10 minutes to 15:00 and they started to somehow "suspect" that the rain is there to stay and the hysteria began. In the end Mika started in 14, Eddie's Ferrari barely got a 107% time and no less than 5 drivers DNQ'ed, Damon Hill in Jordan included. (they were allowed to start the race, eventually)

It was fun from an entertainment point of view, however I wouldn't call that good racing. Oh yes, what a race we saw the next day... igh:
Old 11 Oct 2002, 08:40 (Ref:400975)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's sad that F1 in now such a state that they have to bring in these 'radical' proposals to liven up the 'show'.

How about just making the cars 'real' again so it actually takes driver talent, and not just the know-how to work a Nintendo joypad, to win races.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 11:58 (Ref:401060)   #22
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
alchemy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is MY 9 point plan I’m sending to the FIA.

1. One make (preferablywide slicks ) control tyre to be batch manufactured and issued to the FIA. These will be supplied to the teams on the day before official practice. Due to the limited number of tyres this will self govern the amount of private testing. (Cost saving)

2. Front wing limited in area to approx. 50% of existing. (Better racing)

3. Rear wing limited to a single element homologated design. As a suggestion, between 25 - 50% of the wing area currently in use. (Better racing)

4. Flat bottom chassis, running the entire length of the car, thus eliminating high noses. (Cost saving)

5. Existing driver aids permitted. Traction control, auto and semi auto gearbox technology can only benefit road cars. CVT to be permitted. (No change)

6. Pit-to-car radio and telemetry links no longer permitted. (Better racing and cost saving)

7. Composite material brake discs permitted, but diameter and size of calliper to be controlled. (Better racing)

8. All engine manufacturers to make available customer engines. (Cost saving)

9. Grands Prix consisting of double headers. 2 x 30ish lap races. No refuelling stops. Both races scoring points as normal. Qualifying as a form of superpole. F1 starts are probably the most exciting of any motorsport starts, so two per meeting can only be good.

OK, I’ve been up since the early hours watching practice for the Japanese GP…. So tear it apart!
Old 11 Oct 2002, 12:03 (Ref:401070)   #23
Trebor
Rookie

Trebor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None of them
Old 11 Oct 2002, 13:15 (Ref:401137)   #24
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry VB - but this is a hoax - not one of the suggestions can be taken seriously

They forgot the Tenth Point

every car will be a Ferrari and every driver will be Mikhail Schumacher
Old 11 Oct 2002, 13:40 (Ref:401149)   #25
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this is an excuse for a publicity "stunt", Evil Kneival just clipped the roof of the last double decker bus causing him to fall 20 feet to the ground at 40mph rendering him temorarily paralyzed from the waist down due to a fractured pelvis, a broken femur and 3 cracked vertebrae. Not to mention temporary insanity caused buy a rather nasty lump on the head.