Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 19 Aug 2006, 09:51 (Ref:1686538)   #1
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Server Upgrade / Migration.

Ten-Tenths is moving again folks!

We recently spent €2,400 (£1,600/$3,100/AU$4,100) on the purchase of a new Dell 2950 server for the site, this is one of the latest machines on the market and represents some fairly extensive computing power (if anyone wants the full specs of the machine then let me know) The funding for this server came partly from money left over from the advertising on Tenths and partly from Terri (EvilPumpkin) and I.

As part of the migration we have to move the Tenths database and website over to the new server.

Unfortunately this will involve "outage" periods where the site will be unavailable, we are hoping to keep these outages to a minimum and intend to complete the work during the quiet traffic periods.

So, if you get a message that the site is down or unavailable then don't worry, it should only be temporary and try again in half an hour.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 11:23 (Ref:1686577)   #2
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
Ten-Tenths is moving again folks! Unfortunately this will involve "outage" periods where the site will be unavailable, we are hoping to keep these outages to a minimum and intend to complete the work during the quiet traffic periods.

So, if you get a message that the site is down or unavailable then don't worry, it should only be temporary and try again in half an hour.
We will just move to the "Parc" and party 'till it's back up.

Old 19 Aug 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1686788)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great work guys!
Old 19 Aug 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1686807)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Great work guys!
Um... we're still having problems with this migration, we're still on the old server pair at the moment.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 00:17 (Ref:1686847)   #5
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
As of 1:15am forum time we are now running on the new server.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 00:48 (Ref:1686852)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Business as usual

Quote:
Old 20 Aug 2006, 00:59 (Ref:1686855)   #7
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
sweet, so the hamsters are on the newer more aerodynamic wheel eh ?

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 20 Aug 2006, 01:54 (Ref:1686868)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxie
sweet, so the hamsters are on the newer more aerodynamic wheel eh ?
lol... yeah, and with the Dell management service I can tell what speed each of the wheels are running...... Fans are currently around 6300 RPM :P
Old 20 Aug 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1687207)   #9
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
lol... yeah, and with the Dell management service I can tell what speed each of the wheels are running...... Fans are currently around 6300 RPM :P
dude thats awsome (pitty its not a hp )! Not to mention if your running XGL with Compiz you can look at the stats for each hamster on each side of the cube!

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 20 Aug 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1687237)   #10
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxie
dude thats awsome (pitty its not a hp )
I should have waited for a DL-380 G5 or a DL-385 but it's the usual story, if I waited for the next "mega" server I'd still be waiting in 2007!
Old 20 Aug 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1687284)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Um... we're still having problems with this migration, we're still on the old server pair at the moment.
I assumed the site was running on the new server because Ten-Tenths.com was available again. In the mean time the work is done so I say it again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Great work guys!
Old 20 Aug 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1687318)   #12
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
There may be a few small outages and things like adverts vanishing and re-appearing as we tweak the system a little but the major work is now complete.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 16:09 (Ref:1687449)   #13
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States

Quote:
There may be a few small outages and things like adverts vanishing and re-appearing as we tweak the system a little but the major work is now complete.
Or, as Lewis Carroll wrote in 1871:

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

For the complete verse, click HERE .

Just kidding. Keep up the good work.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1688121)   #14
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hi all,

As you have no doubt noticed, we've been suffering from slow downs and outages all day today (21/08/06)

Both Grant and I are in work at the moment, which is preventing us from doing anything more than a "spit and chewing gum" fix to try to keep the forum up.

As soon as we get home, we'll try to resolve the issues and stabilise the site. The wonders of modern technology!

Please bear with us and we will try to resume normal (and improved) service as soon as possible.

Thanks,

EP
Old 21 Aug 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1688205)   #15
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
These are good news! Ten-tenths even better! (I didn't believe it was possible )

I had problems accessing earlier, but I assumed it was because the server change.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1688208)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well we may have to give our hosting company a good spanking - they did some reconfiguration without letting us know and that was the source of today's problems.

Grant has just been down to the hosting company and we seem to be working ok now - we'll be closely monitoring to ensure that the problems don't recur.

Thanks for bearing with us - these kind of changes are never without their teething problems, but the results are usually worth it!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1688232)   #17
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Easy Does It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
These are good news! Ten-tenths even better! (I didn't believe it was possible )

I had problems accessing earlier, but I assumed it was because the server change.
It probably was.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1688275)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
they did some reconfiguration without letting us know and that was the source of today's problems.
I know what you mean....
Old 23 Aug 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1689572)   #19
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is running really quickly and quietly today, more like an R10 than a F248.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1689639)   #20
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
another comment

Sneakey beggars as well. The added the ability to expand the "Title" drop down menu and didn't think anyone would notice!
Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1689717)   #21
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
Sneakey beggars as well. The added the ability to expand the "Title" drop down menu and didn't think anyone would notice!
Um.... not that I'm aware of, we didn't change anything on the actual forum software... lol
Old 26 Aug 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1692740)   #22
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
Well we may have to give our hosting company a good spanking - they did some reconfiguration without letting us know and that was the source of today's problems.

Grant has just been down to the hosting company and we seem to be working ok now - we'll be closely monitoring to ensure that the problems don't recur.

Thanks for bearing with us - these kind of changes are never without their teething problems, but the results are usually worth it!
Their websites were down, i couldnt get to any of my racks out in citywest they had some kind of backhaul issue at one stage as everything was down

Old 29 Aug 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1696038)   #23
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does a new server also mean improved possibilities for attachments? I would love to post more pics here, but the imageshack facilities are not what I particularly like.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1696049)   #24
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
Does a new server also mean improved possibilities for attachments? I would love to post more pics here, but the imageshack facilities are not what I particularly like.
All users can post attachments in the Arts & Photography forum. Subscribers can use attachments in most forums at the moment. There are currently no plans to extend this to non-subscribers.

So.... here we go folks.

[Sales Mode]
Attachments are an excellent way of showing off pictures, here on Ten-Tenths we have rather large "thumbnails" making it easy to see them rather than the small thumbnails that many online image hosts have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0399 (Small).JPG
Views:	122
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	16943
MSRS Rescue Unit 1

As you can see, they can also be used within the text of a post as well as appearing in a row at the bottom. So you can place your attachments where they are relevant within your post, this can also be done with the img tag but what's easier? Uploading to something like imageshack, getting the and remembering the URLs for the thumbnail and the large image or attaching them directly to a post and having the thumbnail automatic.

Name:	DSCF0415 (Small).JPG
Views:	116
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	16946
Should have seen what it did to his knee!!

For anyone that likes to show off their pictures this should be worth the £10 a year subscription, as well as all the other benefits.

[End Of Sales Mode]

We now return you to the normal madness!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0404 (Small).JPG
Views:	122
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	16944   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0408 (Small).JPG
Views:	119
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	16945  
Old 29 Aug 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1696077)   #25
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
For anyone that likes to show off their pictures this should be worth the £10 a year subscription, as well as all the other benefits.

[End Of Sales Mode]

We now return you to the normal madness!
I don't like that sentence, it is not that I want to "show off", but I just like to show what people might find interesting, and related to a topic and not just in the "art and photography" section.

If this will cost me 10 pounds, then I think you are doing no favours to your members, also to those who did pay that amount, albeit for "other advantages"