Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 May 2001, 19:06 (Ref:89716)   #1
domaza
Racer

domaza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Dixon - Winner!

Scott made it count. He came from nowhere and won the race. It was really good and exiting race. I feel sorry for Dario, whos's tactic didn't work. Still he was the guy on last laps and passed 4 guys in 10 laps. Will we see a CART race in NAZARETH in 2002? After today's race the changes rised, but there weren't much spectators
Old 6 May 2001, 19:17 (Ref:89720)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it was an odd race.
but WELL DONE SCOTT! kick that yankee ass
Old 6 May 2001, 19:26 (Ref:89724)   #3
domaza
Racer

??

Quote:
Originally posted by bella
it was an odd race.
but WELL DONE SCOTT! kick that yankee ass
What do you mean with "it was an odd race"? I'm not a native speker and I don't understand it I quess you think that race wasn't so intresting, if so - it was the best race of the season and also they expected boring race in NAZARETH, but it was GOOD!
Old 6 May 2001, 19:29 (Ref:89727)   #4
Quino
Racer

Quino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kenny was still the best driver out there
With a lousy setup
Old 6 May 2001, 19:38 (Ref:89730)   #5
domaza
Racer

Kenny was good, but Dario...

Quote:
Originally posted by Quino
Kenny was still the best driver out there
With a lousy setup
Kenny was reallt good and drive all the way in the front, but Dario strategy went wrong and so he finished in the 8th position. He was 16 when 30 laps was to go - in last 10 laps he passed 4 guys. In the end of the race he was the guy, but laps ended too soon...
Old 6 May 2001, 20:35 (Ref:89749)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the Long Beach race was more exciting. There were too many cautions in this race. It only became exciting in the last 25 laps.

It was Kenny Brack's race for the taking, but Scott did an amazing job and held in there for the win. Full credit to Scott, and better luck next time for Brack! That's racing.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 May 2001, 20:57 (Ref:89758)   #7
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was surely a surprise winner, with a tactic that worked to perfection creating the result. Just the kind of thing you can see on an oval when you have a long caution period.

I think this race was more exciting than Long Beach, at least here the leader changed, and there was more passing!

Surely a win for Kenny Brack in this series can't be far away now.
Old 6 May 2001, 21:21 (Ref:89766)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was indeed a most unusual race - the grid began completely upside down and a lot of weird things happened all day long! Beginning with Herta spinning out on the first lap and apparently Scott Dixon and PacWest bought the secret fuel manufacturing system that Patrick Racing always uses. Gil and Helio were nowhere today and I think Bruno just got mixed up a lot....

I'm sure Mikey was terribly disappointed with his race today but relieved to actually finish it anyway. There were only 4 "Mikey Mentions" during the alst race in his home town, which appeared to be attended mainly by the families of the pilots and relatives of Mikey, and members of Seventh Gear.

Incidentally, wasn't it the perfect finish to a week where PacWest had had nothing but bad fortune? I am sure Scott dedicated his race to his teammate. Too bad, as usual, we didn't get to see it ...
Old 6 May 2001, 21:44 (Ref:89772)   #9
Splatz
Rookie

Splatz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott rocks!

Wicked. Well done Scott. I can't wait to watch a replay of the race.

With Pruett gone, Dicko can be the new "Scotty" of CART. This a name the commentators liked to use a lot.

I never thought he'd get his win before the Ganassi boys, this is so cool.

PS. Hi to all the Veterans, and folk from last year.
Old 6 May 2001, 21:56 (Ref:89774)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Splatz, welcome back!
Old 6 May 2001, 22:11 (Ref:89777)   #11
Splatz
Rookie

Splatz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Liz, howdy to you.

Good to see some familiar names when I came back and plenty of newbies too.
Old 7 May 2001, 00:01 (Ref:89806)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The topic of New Zealanders came up in a chat room last night, and once they start to win races, they become Australian

Way to go Scotty!
Old 7 May 2001, 11:47 (Ref:89875)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent race Scott,

Good to see a sheep fancier do well! And Paul 'Mr Consistent' Tracey coming home a strong third in the puppet class.

Great racing and Team Agression Maximisation are equal fifth, and rising fast. Get with the program Michael!
Old 7 May 2001, 12:45 (Ref:89879)   #14
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a big race, it is shame that Gil got involved in the accident, I guess Liz is no happy at all. Hooray for Dixon, he really showed how a race has to be won. Poor kenny he had this race in his pocket, but again, it was all pit strategy, and a lot of yellows. This sure waas a big wi for Pacwest, they had a lot of problems, Mo is out, intern trouble, but the win will help.
Old 7 May 2001, 13:14 (Ref:89882)   #15
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent drive from Dixon and a great result for his first year and to end the drought by PacWest. They had not won since Fontana 1997.

The caution laps were a bit too long, but deFerran's and Tagliani's cars did scatter a lot of debris.

Brack drove well but got caught out by a timid fuel strategy and then an overly aggressive setup strategy. He should have left his setup alone at the final stop and he would most likely have passed Dixon. But, his car had too much oversteer and Dixon's car came into its setup as the fuel diminished.

Compared to most runs at Nazareth this was a great race. CART definitely has the aero package sorted out for Nazareth. The cars could pass and a daring driver could make up lots of ground, as seen by Franchitti and Brack.

During the US telecast, Joe Heitzler stated that they were working to keep Nazareth on the schedule for the next few years.
Never forget #99
Old 8 May 2001, 13:11 (Ref:90201)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now after seeing the race...

Dixon may have gotten to the front through fantastic strategy, but really, he absolutely drove the wheels of it to stay ahead of Brack fantastic effort!

I think once he breaks through like that, he might be able to kick on like the Ganasi rookies in years past (Zanardi and Montoya).

There might be some comparisons with Mansell, but remember Nige's first oval forray? Kind of wound up in hospital .

Also, I'm happy that if anyone was going to break Greg's youngest ever winner tag, it was Dixon. Well done
Old 8 May 2001, 13:20 (Ref:90205)   #17
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seriously,

Amen Crash.

One to Scott.
Old 8 May 2001, 13:45 (Ref:90217)   #18
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome race!
Scott did really well early on to hold out Brack (the leader at the time) to not go down a lap early on.
He showed great maturity and it was funny how a commentator said something along the lines of "If I were Scott Dixon I would be taking notes right now", referring to Scott being in another drivers presence, cant remember which driver though. Ha ha.

Everyone is all smiles down here in Kiwiland.

THANK YOU ABOVE FOR THE LAST YELLOW FLAG PERIOD
Old 8 May 2001, 13:49 (Ref:90221)   #19
nz_tourer
Rookie

Possible senario (and not really that crazy)

Dixon will keep his association and run in the Toyota F1 team. Maybe Scott will be the young fresh face of Toyota in the future.
Old 8 May 2001, 15:54 (Ref:90268)   #20
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by R
That was surely a surprise winner

not really....if you have seen Scotts career as i have from f Ford in NZ through to F holden in Australia and n to indy lites you would know that this was inevitable..the guy is an unbelieveavble talent and I still have flashbacks to when i saw him as a 16 year old driving a Formula holden car..was the most amazing thing i have ever seen at Winton in Victoria..the guy has bucketloads of talent and is not only a race winner but a champion of the future and not just in CART ..im sure he has the goods to be a top F1 driver if he wanted to go in that direction.

Well done Scott...now show them it wasnt a Fluke
Old 8 May 2001, 17:50 (Ref:90334)   #21
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, this is the first year I've followed Scott Dixon's career. I'll still rate it as a surprise that his first win came so early in his rookie CART season. That only makes me even more impressed with this exciting youngster. And did you see how cool and collected he was afterwards? Of course he was happy, but to me he looked like he scored his 40th win in CART, not his first. He had that kind of "success is natural to me" look.

I did pick him for rookie of the year (search through the old threads and you'll see ), I just didn't expect him to win so soon. PacWest's first win since 1997, I think. Whether he'll be like Montoya or Zanardi, we'll have to wait and see.
Old 8 May 2001, 20:21 (Ref:90445)   #22
domaza
Racer

It wasn't his "40th CART victory" it was a death of teammates child why he wasn't 100% happy about his first CART victory!
Old 8 May 2001, 23:49 (Ref:90560)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
But I think you'll find that Scott is a fairly quietly spoken, almost shy sort of guy that wouldn't go around showing off too much emotion.

NZ_Tourer: How did the Kiwi press treat it? Big news, or just a bit at the back of the sports sections?
Old 9 May 2001, 06:41 (Ref:90617)   #24
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once they start winning races they become Aussies!
Pass the bucket i think i'm going to be sick. lol

Not a lot said here,short segment on the tv news,same on the radio and a small segment in the paper.

He was always up the front in any event over here,although he had a reputation as being a bigmouthed brat in his early years and this led to some drivers (deliberatly?)taking him out in a Nissan Sentra race early in his career to teach him a lesson,i wonder what those guys are racing now!

But well done Scott,may it be the first of many!
Old 9 May 2001, 10:56 (Ref:90645)   #25
nz_tourer
Rookie

the bucket is full Warwick!

The coverage wasnt too bad I suppose, it headlined the Sports news, and I listened to a good hour of talkback just on him on Mon night. But still too many kiwis just dont acknowledge racing as a sport and dont give achievements credit when due, but maybe Scott will change it. He deserves to be a nomination AT LEAST at out Sports Awards next year. But unfortunatley it would not suprise me if he wasnt.

For me Scotts achievement is amazing, he is a winner quickly in any class he has been in. Every Kiwi will jump on the ScottDixon bandwagon when he gets to F1 and becomes a legend.